CPU + DAOC = Heat

Invisibul

Fledgling Freddie
i've always played 2 acc's on one pc and everything has always been fine, cpu temp stayed at 65C tops which was normal. Now its starting to go 70-74C, system doesn't crash or become unstable, but by crikey does my case get hot, above the psu is near untouchable, system temp goes to around 40C which is ever so slightly higher than normal, ideal sys temp is 32-35.

My cpu is p4 540 and yes, the nortorius LGA775 processors, Intel say they're supposed to produce the heat they do and that the original heatsink (copper core) and fan supplied with cpu is fine (Toms hardware says its fine too).

But i'm concerned that the whole system just gets a wee bit too hot.

I've 2x 120mm fans at front and 2 at the back and one 80 mm blowing down on the memory from the top of the case, so airflow isn't a problem, but the generated heat is i think, i've taken alot to bits and put Arctic silver thermal paste down where i can, (properly too).

gfx card has thermal paste too.

I'm out of ideas, except getting a vapo-chill system, but they're like £500 :D
Any suggestions.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Tidy the inside of the case up a bit, wires hanging lose around fans will cause problems with the airlow and make sure they DO NOT touch the motherboard, this can cause problems.Prescotts are hot cpus usually and around 70c is about normal with stock heatsink, i get 45-50c on my winchester when running 2 accs using stock cooler plus coolermaster praetorian but if i use a xp90+ YStech fan i probably hit 35-40c, if it worries you too much then buy a heatsink, thermalright are very good ones.

Though my 6800GT can generate a great deal of heat in games that use a lot of the card(like half life 2 at full settings high res or doom 3) card has hit around 65c with an artic cooler on it too.Majority of pc components can hit high temps and be fine, probably only knock a year or two off their ten year life expectancy.But a good cpu cooler could knock 10-15c off that i reckon if you too bothered about it.

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Heat?

Switch the room heating off - open the window - put a heavy coat on = job done!

Words of wisdom from Thugs. You know it makes sense!

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
IMO the problem probably down to your heatsink, I've always run athlons so I'm not sure about the actual temperatures, but you case airflow seems great, even excessive ;)

An ideal air/water cooling system will cool your CPU down to case/room temperature, of course no air cooling comes close, BUT a good heatsink/fan combo will make a huge difference. Personally I lowered my cpu load temp by nearly 20C by swapping the stock cooler (athlon 64) for a Thermalright xp-120 and a cheap but high CFM fan. Always use arctic silver 5, though don't overdo it, lapping the heatsink can also help somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom