CPU Burned out?

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Right so wake up this morning to find out my da's bought a new Harddrive for the computer, but during the proccess of fitting it he had the PC powered on without the heatsink or fan on the chip! Theres a crappy smell in the room now and the thing wont turn on. Ok so any ejiit would prolly just guess that its definetly the chip thats blown, but im just hanging onto a sliver of hope that its something less expensive and awkward to find since its kinda oldish so ill prolly have to order it off the net :/

The chip I believe was an AMD 1500XP
and the Motherboard an A-bit Kg7a i think (its been quite a while since i bought it)

The thing is, I was hoping for my bios to tell me that it was blown by a series of beeps but it wont make a sound, the pc turns on no visual or sound but it requires me to hold the power button for 5sec to turn it off.

Is there any hope?

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
It's a Athlon 1500 Thunderbird, they have no thermal protection and reach a temp of ~230 degrees celcius after like, 5 seconds with no heatsink.

And no beeps means...

Your CPU is dead.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
It'll probably work, not sure though, but definately not at it's full capacity. I'd say, just buy a new mobo and cpu. this doesn't need to be that expensive, because there are upgrade kits sold here and there, that just have a new mobo, and cpu, and are priced under €100.-

anyway, good luck, and tell your pops not to touch the guts of a pc again :D

Kougar

Loyal Freddie
why would he need to remove the fan and heatsink anyway? if its just installing a hard drive? :p

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
If the cpu blew then its more than likely the mobo has died as well. Imagine you having a 230 degree chip ontop of you and survive now put me on electronics heh.

Im sorry your dads computer blew but sounds as though he didnt know what he was doing and therefore shouldnt have done it or (2) Consulted you at the very least.

Gamah

Banned
yep probably fried the surrounding board as well, CPU's get EXTREMLY hot when they dont have the correct cooling.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Kougar said:
why would he need to remove the fan and heatsink anyway? if its just installing a hard drive? :p

On 'mini' tower cases sometimes the extra hard drive bay doesnt have a front cover and so has to be inserted from the rear. Also in these smaller cases the CPU fan may need to be removed to fit it in. But of course this should not be done while the PC is actually on ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom