Could the WAR UI be "grafted" into DAOC ?

Zede

Part of the furniture
Compared to other more recent mmorpgs, the User Interface in DaoC is a ball ache.

Lets say perchance that Mythic/EA get a wee team together & convert the WAR UI ( tweaked to daoc ofc !) - graft it into DaoC. Lets say a team of 20, with a six month time frame.

ive no clue when it comes to things like this,would it be possible in any form ?

heck, mythic could re-launch it as daoc 2, which im sure is in the pipeline anyways.....

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
you cannot really compare the daoc UI to any recent MMO, as its what, almost 7 years old now? To be honest the UI does what it needed to do and nothing more, I'm not really a fan of any these new UI's which practically play the game for you im not saying it couldn't be a lot better than it is now but I wouldnt want anything too over the top.

I would like to see a DAOC 2, as long as they kept the game the way it is and just improved things like char responce, improve the combat(THATS RIGHT IMPROVE NOT BUTCH OR WOWANIZE)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
whats wrong with WoW combat system? to fond of /stick and /face?

problems with ppl actually moving around insted of using runthrough and /stick spams?

or not getting automatic misses just because your strafing, that alone would make it worth it.

theres actually very little thats wrong with WoW's combat system. infact i cant actually think of anything right now.

unless you start to include the skills and spells. then you might have a point or 10.

but only the character movement in combat sure isnt wrong in any way.

that i would very much like to have in DAoC.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
no I could do with out stick, face and assist just fine thanks, I just find the combat very linear.

as I said I dont think daoc system is perfect far from it, but I do like that fact there is more todo (on some classes) than mash your head on the keyboard cuase any button will do.

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
I've always found DAoC's combat way better than anything in any other game i've played.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Why would they bother updating the UI when there aren't enough players around to justify it?

I do agree it's quite outdated. Whilst levelling my Cabalist I knew what sort of spec I wanted, however I had to use a 3rd party website just to figure out what spells come at what levels. Even the Camelot Herald doesn't have a calculator to figure out my overall specs for spell lines!

It's a shame that none of the new WAR features ever got implemented in DAoC. According to this post we were supposed to be getting various features which are now standard in most other MMORPGs, such as auction houses and ingame mail!

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
I quite like the DAoC UI the way it is, at this basic level it makes one more focused on the game more than having the perfect addon to play for you.
I do agree though it is outdated and should, if there was resources for it, get a major update.

It's a shame that none of the new WAR features ever got implemented in DAoC. According to this post we were supposed to be getting various features which are now standard in most other MMORPGs, such as auction houses and ingame mail!
That would have been so awesome

Zede

Part of the furniture
Why would they bother updating the UI when there aren't enough players around to justify it?

I do agree it's quite outdated. Whilst levelling my Cabalist I knew what sort of spec I wanted, however I had to use a 3rd party website just to figure out what spells come at what levels. Even the Camelot Herald doesn't have a calculator to figure out my overall specs for spell lines!

cause' with a modern UI & a few other tweaks with 6 months work it could be sold as "daoc 2"

the bigwigs at mythic look at the boards. they know a lot of the people who made Daoc what it was are unhappy with WAR.

and of course keep DAOC combat system, never never WoWise it with everyfuckinspellbeinginstantcast bullshit. we had one warlock insta casting class in daoc, war has like...oh yer every class !

edit - that post...kinda what im getting at in this thread, least they are thinking the same, relaunched daoc this summer maybe ?

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
I like the doac combat system and UI system tbh.

The UI is basic but still with 3rd party UI it is highly customizeable.. the only thing I think is missing is swapping weapons from your inventory, that could be highly usefull for some classes. Then again, some classes that rely on alot of weapon/shield swap has that as a 'skill' factor, removing it will make the char less fun (though less frustrating for the mainstream newb ).. so I donno.

The combat system is like the best there is still today, the /stick and /face are needed to make fights more direct and not so much running in circles hitting in the air like wow, age of conan and WAR are. They should have over the years perfected their combat code to make it more effective, and snappier more responsive as someone else mentioned, however if they change the basic idea with it they will ruin it.

All in all daoc combat system 8.5/10 ( compared to AoC wichj I would give a 5/10 since it is working but makes combat plain boring and just a hassle to chase around some1 while trying to style/get in positionals, basically having some1 ruin all your styles cus he is runing in circles makes for a poor system )..

The UI is dated, even with the chat upgrade ( wich I still think is abit unresponsive and not perfected by a longshot yet ) but the UI customizeability is great and therefore it will get 6.5/10, above average and it is working, clean simple and customizeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom