Could someone please tell me ...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
what a Winfox Control I/O driver is ? Cos according to my device manager I should have one, and I dont !
I thought Winfox was a make of GF4 video card, but maybe Im wrong.
Thing is, I havethis slight problem with my pc, every so often, and with no regularity it will simply stop, for a second or two. If its in a game the sound judders, the picture stops, then it carries on as normal. I dont know if thats anything to do with this, but im checking anyway ... :)

strangely brown

Can't get enough of FH
It is to do with your Geforce card - I have one as well. My Geforce3 card is manufactured by Leadtek and I guess it is part of their driver package...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well thats wierd cos I have a 9800 pro :) However I used to have a GF4 4400...

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
So chances are you didn't install all the LeadTek/NVIDIA drivers first, and now something is trying to start up which is dependant on you having the old hardware installed.

Get into add/remove programs and purge any references to NVIDIA Graphic Drivers, or Leadtek/Winfox stuff from your old card.

Oh, and download the latest ATI drivers BEFORE you start uninstalling, chances are once you've uninstalled the NVIDIA stuffs your GART driver will go kerplunk - something you can fix by reinstalling the latest ATI catalysts.

Xav

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Must admit I thought Id removed all traces of GFroce drivers. However I do have a memory of deleting this particular driver, then my pc refuseing to boot into windows at all. This ended up being fixed by a XP reinstall disc, as I simply couldnt get into windows to do anything about it.
For the time being ive reinstalled the driver , even though I dont need it :(
If that dont work Il remove it all again. Stick with me chaps :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
You reinstalled the NVIDIA-based winfox drivers while you're running an ATI card? That could have HUGE performance implications mate, if you have the NVIDIA driver will be the latest installed, and thus it's GART (Graphics Adapter Remap Table) will be initialised instead of the one supplied with your Catalysts... :eek6:

Best thing to do now, if you're sure you've installed what it was asking for, would be to uninstall via add-remove programs, which should remove it neatly, and reinstall Catalyst4.2 from ATI.com

Xav

Mr.Monkey

Fledgling Freddie
Or:

The best thing to do when adding a major bit of new hardware, is to backup your key files, and reinstall windows.
It prevents any oddities such as registry entries being carried over. Things like det destroyers are good, but there are so many unofficial dets around that the destroyer may not get all the correct registry entries.

/waits for deletion of post.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well, theres definately something hanging around I wasnt aware of, althought obviously I deleted the actual dets. Its like a watered down version of power strip or the official nvidea quick tweak thingy.
Anyway, I tried reinstalling the driver cos it wasnt a det, but its still pretty much the same so the next step is removing it, (although it doesnt even show up in add-remove prgrams!) removeing cats , then reinstalling cats.
Lardidar :)

/edit
which ive now done, removed the driver, which didnt show up in add/remove and its still there indevice manager although now it says it doesnt have a driver loaded for it.
Annoyingly enough i dont even know if its this that causing the problem.
grrr...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Motherboard is a AOpen AK79D 400-Max.

To recap, Ive now removed the driver I installed, removed the Cats, then re-installed the Cats. Which leaves me pretty much where I started.
The WinFox I/O driver is not listed in add/remove programs (neither was it before all this!) but is listed in device manager which makes me think that my pc thinks its a peice of hardware, rather than software, as it says its installed but has no driver. Exactly as it was in the first place. Splendid :/

I do wonder if its causing the problem at all now mind, if it's not something else, but I dont know what. Its only a tiny thing really, but its bugging me, ive got me teeth into it and it must be fixed ! :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
As a footnote to this, Ive checked it all over and Im sure my video situation is , and was , set up ok.
However, Im not so sure about my router. Could this bedoing something, does anyone know? I dont know much about them tbh, but its a netgear dg814, and is logged inby my pc, then it connects to one of my other pc's upstairs. Ive never done anything to the pc upstairs, it dosent do anything to log on, it just kind of connects automatically. is that right i wonder?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Have you just tried right clicking on the item in device manager and selecting 'uninstall' ? Reboot and if it was a virtual device, it won't come back.

Xav

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No, i can unistall the driver, but not the thing itself ..

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Xavier said:
now something is trying to start up
Xav

That half sentance put me in the right thought. It wasnt anything to do with video drivers, didnt think it could be ive been changing them for years. I checked in my network bit, and I had 2 network connections enabled. I disabled one, and so far its been perfect.
Oddly enough my ping has gone from 20-25 to 12-20 on BF1942 too :)
Thanks for the thought and the effort mate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom