Correct setting for rate etc..

O

old.cspiby

What would be the correct setting for the rate value and other vaues, while using 56k modem? When there are a lot of people on screen at one time, my pings goes up quite a bit.

A

Atomic Rammer

Do you mean that your frame rate drops and you lag, or that your frames are fine but pushing tab shows a higher ping when people are in view?

If its the former then it may be, as in my case, that you don't have enough cpu power. This my be especially bad if u have one of those nasty winmodems which use cpu. What cpu have you got?

My 166 cant hadle a lot of bomblets going off either
frown.gif

Theres a crossbox in one of the options menus that says use high detail models which I don't use.

My rate is about 3500-3900 and my pushlatency is -100. I read that its supposed to be -0.5*ping. I get ping 180-200 ish on BW.

If its the latter I can't help you mate, but I did read some conspiracy somewhere about lpb's with high rate settings lagging people with lower rate settings when they are in view. I can't see how that works meself.

[This message has been edited by SYDEEREAL (edited 17 February 2000).]

O

old.cspiby

I've got a PIII 500 and a Diamond 56I V Pro, so there ain't no problem with hardware.

O

old.British Beef

Ouch get rid of the modem m8, anything is better than the diamond 56i, i started out on ones of those monsters, when i got around to buying a 56e, was the day i saw my pings cut in half, and my online gaming become much more fun
smile.gif

O

old.cspiby

How is a external diamond better than a internal one? Doesn't make sense
smile.gif

O

old.Stuart_Granger

An external Diamond is better than an internal one because it doesn't use any power from the PC. I had an internal modem and it used to disconnect every time my system cached due to most of the system resources being used while the HDD cached. With the external ... the power is external and when my system caches ... it does not disconnect and the speed through it is fine.

I have the SupraExpress 56e on my second system ... got Zyxel Omni.Net Plus TA and Zyxel Prestige 100WH Router on this machine as it is on ISDN.

With thanks

Stuart_Granger

O

old.KTM

Maybe the problem isn't your modem but your 3D card?
What card have you got? Have you got the latest drivers for both your video card and modem?

O

old.cspiby

I've got a voodoo 3 2000, no probs there, got up-to-date drivers for both modem and 3d card.

O

old.Stuart_Granger

What about latest drivers for your Motherboard and AGP slot? Amount of memory you use, processor speed, etc? All factors.

With thanks

Stuart_Granger

O

old.devin

Internal vs. External modem

External is better. Beleive it.

I had non stop probs with an internal, even my ext 33.6 was better than my 56k internal.

A hardware modem is better than a software modem, for more info look at http://www.firingsquad.com

O

old.BigSir

Having just changed from a Diamond Supraexpress int. to an ext. I can say that the ext. is a great improvement.
I was pinging around the 200-220 mark, now its gone down to 150-180
smile.gif
Its also been as low as 130.

BTW, my rate setting is 5000, pushlatency -100. Oh, their about £50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom