Cornwall or Lyonesse?

K

Kharok Svark

I would guess cornwall, Lyonesse must have dissapeared between 1200 and now, during a UFO sighting.

T

the_smurflord

Lyonesse is a legendary land that was supposed to exist west of Cornwall and sank beneath the waves.

Padstow is nice though. Have a good holiday.
Some good places in northern Cornwall. Just avoid the tourist traps like Newquay and Tintagel, they are appauling.

T

the_smurflord

Actually the Boogey Fort would be roughly where the village of Woolfardisworthy (pronounced Woolsery) is, about mid way between Bideford and Bude.

H

Hargh

Are it's inhabitants decendents of said boogeys? So I am more likely to encounter Cornish Giants? More like Cornish Wafers :D

I'm going to Rick Steins Restaurant.... oooooooohhhhhhh!

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Take a day trip to the Isles of Scilly and you'll be in Lyonesse :)

But Padstow is definitely in Cornwall. Enjoy your hols and stuffing your face with good seafood (Padstow is now a seafood restaurant mecca thanks to Rick Stein).

S

Sharma

Albion is actually based on the cornwall area, i think Llyn barfog is some big lake in Wales.

Hibernia has shannon estuary which is in ireland so, i guess hib is based around there.

as for mid? fuck knows

F

Fafnir

Well Mid, Vanern Swamp = Vänern one of our largest lakes in southern Sweden. Uppland, Jämtland are swedish provinces. Myrkwood, Raumarik etc never heard of them before i played this game. :)

Gotar might be a fucked up spelling for Gotaland, Svealand is a larger region around Stockholm.

O

old.job

I used to live in Padstow :)

It's now a place for the rich kiddies, not when I was there of course.

Go to Polzeath, loads of expensive totty there.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by the_smurflord
Actually the Boogey Fort would be roughly where the village of Woolfardisworthy (pronounced Woolsery) is, about mid way between Bideford and Bude.

Boogey Fort? Wool fart is worthy?

I can see the resemblance. :p

A

Addlcove

always wondered how to get to Dartmoor? ;)

oh and how come those huge savage NPC vikings are "Viking Dreng" Dreng = boy in danish ;)

O

old.Alliandre

I would guess cornwall, Lyonesse must have dissapeared between 1200 and now, during a UFO sighting.

Hadn't the Vikings already taken over most of Britain by then? And if it's based on the time just after Arthur (depending on which Arthur you go on) It's either 200ish AD or 400ish AD. I'd guess it was 500 AD as this would leave time for Arthur to die as well ;)

Hibernia is Ireland. I know that. It has a couple of the 10 treasures of Britain in there I think. Dagda's hammer or something? Hibernia was also the name given to Ireland by the British mainlanders at the time (which were coincidentally called Albion :p) Midgard would also be the Vikings around Sweden/Norway, etc. They also have some names from old Viking Gods (Odin's gate, Thor's hammer).

And the names aren't messed up. It's just that people have messed them up over time :p

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by old.Alliandre
Midgard would also be the Vikings around Sweden/Norway, etc. They also have some names from old Viking Gods (Odin's gate, Thor's hammer).

On that note...valkyn are finnish i believe. Most of the names "juuso, urho etc" are finnish names, some are swedish/norwegian as well but mostly i think finnish.

Good call mythic, putting finnish as such raw characters. Right on the note as a nation that, ahem, ceasar wouldn't come to since he was scared of the dark woods and strange shamen/barbarians that roamed the woods.

Go finns! :D

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Right on the note as a nation that, ahem, ceasar wouldn't come to since he was scared of the dark woods and strange shamen/barbarians that roamed the woods.

Go finns! :D

that was in germany, Caesar never got through germany in his conquests (heading north that is ;))

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Addlcove
that was in germany, Caesar never got through germany in his conquests (heading north that is ;))

Hmm..might be true. Well some "big" guys still ran away from finland with their tails behind their legs.

Atleast the swedes kept away...well..until finland got "civilized" or as i like to call it "fucked up".

B

Basso

Originally posted by old.Alliandre
Hadn't the Vikings already taken over most of Britain by then?
The Vikings never went that far south.
(if they did, they probabaly would have been beaten too ;) )

F

Fafnir

Originally posted by Basso
The Vikings never went that far south.
(if they did, they probabaly would have been beaten too ;) )
Well the vikings where all the way down to Spain, even some evidence they got all the way to Mexico following the American eastcoast. But this is not certain just some translated inca/aztek writing (cant tell them apart) But there are proof that viking where in the US long before Columbus thought he had found a new rout to India.

O

oldnick

Originally posted by the_smurflord

Im going to Woolsery for a wedding on saturday

and its in North Devon

Nick

S

Sortbane

The Vikings actually was all over britain, not only for raids and pillaging, but also for trade reasons.. (one of the ancient kings had some good relationships (cousin or something if I remember correctly) with the/one of the kings at the time) When I started playing daoc I got some sudden interests for norse mythology and Vikings so I read Snorres saga of the Kings :)

oh, and they also did some warfare in france also so the britons were not the only one getting the hard end of the sword ;)

There are also proofs of trade relationships between the vikings and arabs around Constantinopel so they were that far south also :)

H

Hargh

Calendonia = Scotland in Roman too.

The Vikings yes sailed down the Rhine and carried their boats overland (maybe not personally) to the Danube and thence to the Black Sea and Arab trade.
They sailed to Ireland and founded Dublin. They took land and wives on the west coast of Ireland and when Iceland was discovered they took whole families they had spawned from Ireland to Iceland.
Genetics has shown large numbers of Irish genes in the female population oif Iceland whereas the male population has a larger concenttration of Scandinavian genes.
Interesting no?
After discovering Greenland, the rumours were that some Vikings went on to what is now Canada and settled. About 40 years ago archaeological discoveries in Newfoundland proved this, with a village being excavated containing a Longhouse and Viking style dwellings.
http://listingsca.com/common/maps/nfmap.gif
Maybe where St Johns is I think.
What may interest you further is the name of the province. Seen on this map:
http://listingsca.com/common/maps/nfareas.gif

Scary eh?

As far as Hib goes (not played there) The Cliffs of Moher are near Limerick, the Shannon is the largest river in Ireland (I think) and it lies near Limerick (the airport of which is called Shannon).
Connacht is of course one of the 4 provinces of Ireland (Ulster Leinster Munster and Connaught) and is historically the seat of the Kings of Ireland.

H

Hargh

Here is more interesting reading

http://www.wordplay.com/tourism/viking.html

The spot where the Vikings landed is called L'anse aux Meadows

So now if anyone asks you "Who discovered America?" You can say a Troll, a Kobold, a Dwarf and a sexeh ginger Viking laydee.

:D

A

Addlcove

or you could impress them by saying it was Eric the Red´s son "Leif the happy" (Leif den lykkelige) (I´m guessin he got great sex ;p)

oh and vikings also burned down Paris and traded with the romans.

(several roman style coins has been found near where I am sitting right now) they payed cash for amber (I think the word is, that golden stonelike stuff you get out of the sea ;))

H

Hargh

Amber is fossilised tree sap. Haven't you seen Jurassic Park???

O

old.Affydaffymezu

Well the vikings where all the way down to Spain, even some evidence they got all the way to Mexico following the American eastcoast. But this is not certain just some translated inca/aztek writing (cant tell them apart) But there are proof that viking where in the US long before Columbus thought he had found a new rout to India.

South America story has no scientific evidence but Greenland and America no doubt were visited by Vikings (archeological evidence present.

Actually vikings are known to have traded in Constantinopel (now Istanbul) and as far as the lands now known as Israel.
Several Russian city's (inculding St-Petersburg) are founded by vikings...

Most people have quite a few misconceptions about viking, not all raided and pillaged, in fact most vikings traded and were in search of new farm land.

Most of us have some kind of viking blood in their vains cause they settled throughout Europe

B

bracken_woodman

I thought Padstow was in Devon...oh well shows how good my geography is :(

But I do live 40 miles from Ludlow (used to work there)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom