Convoker = Pile of Dog Doo??

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
(Apologies beforehand to all convokers).

Ok I got to ML4 even though I hated and detested every step, then for some reason chose to be convoker - seemed to have some useful things, like prescience nodes and power traps.

However, I now have a collection of screenies where I'm lying dead next to a PN after being stalked and killed by an inf/ns without seeing them. In fact I've been made to look stupid, these have been in PvE in DF where I have been standing right next to a PN cast by myself.

Seems many of these ML abilities are either completely useless, don't work or are not worth th effort to obtain.

Your opinions??

Jakus Morgan

Fledgling Freddie
I've posted in a similar vein not that long ago.
Seems to me that the only ML abilities really worth having are Font of Power & Heal Field, ie Perfector.
Maybe FF too.
Others aren't worth the effort.

Mind you plenty disagreed with me in the thread.
They said many ML abilities were vital in RvR.

Oldfaravid

Fledgling Freddie
Indio said:
(Apologies beforehand to all convokers).

Ok I got to ML4 even though I hated and detested every step, then for some reason chose to be convoker - seemed to have some useful things, like prescience nodes and power traps.

However, I now have a collection of screenies where I'm lying dead next to a PN after being stalked and killed by an inf/ns without seeing them. In fact I've been made to look stupid, these have been in PvE in DF where I have been standing right next to a PN cast by myself.

Seems many of these ML abilities are either completely useless, don't work or are not worth th effort to obtain.

Your opinions??

presence node is a joke imo.. been close to those nodes several times and it has not detected the enemy.. to add to it its not manytimes ive been spotted bye a node as a stealther..

Belomar

Part of the furniture
If you consider the alternative (Stormlord), Convoker is nice. Stormlord abilities are, on the whole, more suited to "zerg" gameplay, where you concentrate on static RvR (i.e. milegate and keep warfare). See my early thread on Stormlord experiences for reference. Frankly, giving a verdict on the Convoker line at ML4 is hardly relevant--the best master abilities are usually at higher MLs (like FZ and PS for Sojourners, and BG for Battlemasters). I find that the ML2 Speed Warp, ML8 Brittle Guard, and ML9 Summoning Mastery are vital for both solo and group RvR; furthermore, the Crystal Titan is undoubtedly the best ML10 ability of all lines (and a lot of fun too!).

In conclusion: hang in there and get ML10 and you will see the many uses of Convoker.

Animus

Fledgling Freddie
Personally..
I consider stuff like Forcefull Zephyr, Grapple, Bodyguard, Phaseshift, Speedwarp, to some extent the Teleport spells very very good.

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
Guess I should have named this 'Dissatisfied BD Whine' cos thats really what it boils down to. So many bugs and issues with BD's, topped off with shitty ML choices. Bah.

Could they not have made ML's 'pick and mix' like RA's ?

End of whine. Sorry.

Mikal

Fledgling Freddie
if you whine about prescience node sucking, imagine how stealthers would feel if it was a permanent no stealth zone. The "reveal debuff" it gives about every 5 secs only lasts about 2 secs and is easily resisted, and if it you see a stealther revealed by PN you have to get into melee range to stick pet on him or cast spells at him. If you want to combat stealthers effectively, get an item with stealth lore on
but look at it like this, it's only ML2 so don't need alot of work to get it, and it still gives you a better chance at spotting stealthers than you had without it. Get ML8 and brittle guards and stealthers will absolutely hate you.

besides, like animus said, there are lots of ML abilies that are extremely good if not overpowered, and as a caster I'd take convoker any day over stormlord just because of brittle guards. However as a caster ML's are not essential in rvr like a warrior pretty much NEED grapple and bodyguard, so you can always chose no to do them

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Convoker is not much joy at low ML, but it'll become bit more useful later on.

My favourite Convoker abilities that I think good and useful (in no particular order):
- Summon wood
- Brittle gaurd
- Speedwarp
- DD mine
- Power mine (on keeptakes mostly)
- Battlewarder (haven't got to use it alot yet but now that it's purple and can be cast without LoS to GT, it should be alot help on keeptakes and suchlike)
- Crystal Titan

When I still used to rvr with my Spiritmaster, mostly I used speedwarp and DD trap like this:
When roaming a zone, one convoker in group set up DD trap and speedwarp at one MG to know when something passes (speedwarp helps them not to get away while we run there when someone hits trap).
If there's other convoker in group, that one can set DD trap on other milegate, then both are covered.
If only one convoker in group, then that can keep DD trap up at same MG all the time and then you can patrol more near the MG you haven't got DD trap for unless you got stealther scouts.

Presicence node isn't that much use it's true. The effect can be resisted by the stealther and gets resisted sometimes so often that you can't see him at all. But then again, if you're camping MG or so, having two prescience nodes up is ALOT more help than having none :) Perhaps it's not meant to be 100% sure way to see stealthers, otherwise stealthers might get bit unhappy about it I can imagine.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Indio said:
So many bugs and issues with BD's, topped off with shitty ML choices. Bah.
Um, I'm sorry, but this is retarded whine; BDs arguably get the best ML choices of any cloth casters: Convoker and Banelord. All other cloth casters except Mentalists (Warlord) get to choose between Convoker and Stormlord, and Banelord sure seems much more useful than Stormlord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom