FH is my second home
Ok, we are taught the following;

Treat everyone equal.

Good lesson eh? I think so.

But we're taught the following also, not in so many words;

"don't talk down to minorities"

or

"be considerate of the elder/handicapped/etc"

Doesn't it feel like it's contradictive of the first lesson?

I treat everyone equal, no question, but i get a lot of slack for doing so when there's people around with problem xyz.

So, thought i'd ask the "celestial brain"2 that is FHOT on opinions.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Ok, we are taught the following;

Treat everyone equal.

Good lesson eh? I think so.

But we're taught the following also, not in so many words;

"don't talk down to minorities"

or

"be considerate of the elder/handicapped/etc"

Doesn't it feel like it's contradictive of the first lesson?

I treat everyone equal, no question, but i get a lot of slack for doing so when there's people around with problem xyz.

So, thought i'd ask the "celestial brain"2 that is FHOT on opinions.

Beeing a minorty or elder/handicapped/etc doesn't mean you're not equal. Everyone has it's flaws and postive sides, this doesnt mean you're better or less then anyone else.

It's the people who are abusing or pointing out the differences that you need to be aware off. Those you should be treating like idiots.

To put it short:

Treat everyone equal.

This means everyone, no exceptions (and if you're one of those idiots, this means minorities/elder/handicapped/etc aswell).

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The lesson is to treat everyone equal.

If I think you're going to blow up my house, steal my wallet or throw mud at other kids, I don't treat you as equal. (There are many others, but I don't want to be called a ****)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Kind of brings me to my some time ago point on religion;

Beliefs are not the problem, assholes are.

I think that sums up pretty much all the problem; people are the problem.

Funniest example was when i was walking up a hill with a friend who was in a wheelchair, people were looking at me like i was an evil bastard for not helping, while my friend said to me "You're great for not helping."

I think the biggest problem is over-sympathy. Nothing wrong with sympathy ofcourse, but when you think someone should do something because of something, you ARE the problem.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Kind of brings me to my some time ago point on religion;

Beliefs are not the problem, assholes are.

I think that sums up pretty much all the problem; people are the problem.

Funniest example was when i was walking up a hill with a friend who was in a wheelchair, people were looking at me like i was an evil bastard for not helping, while my friend said to me "You're great for not helping."

I think the biggest problem is over-sympathy. Nothing wrong with sympathy ofcourse, but when you think someone should do something because of something, you ARE the problem.

Beliefs ARE the problem, aswell as the people who hold on too their belief.

Also you shouldnt give a rats arse to what people think about you.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Beliefs ARE the problem, aswell as the people who hold on too their belief.

Also you shouldnt give a rats arse to what people think about you.

Beliefs are the problem if people make it their job to make it other peoples problem.

I don't reslly give a rats arse about what others think, it's just that everyone gets affected by judgement. It's just a fact, even if you say "I'm impervious(sp) to judgement!", when someone tells you you got a fat arse, you will check it, even if it's just to confirm yourself that you don't.

Main point here probably is that; how can people be so judgemental, while at the same time, ignoring all they think is "alright"?

Is it just human nature to be doublefaced?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Beliefs are the problem if people make it their job to make it other peoples problem.

I don't reslly give a rats arse about what others think, it's just that everyone gets affected by judgement. It's just a fact, even if you say "I'm impervious(sp) to judgement!", when someone tells you you got a fat arse, you will check it, even if it's just to confirm yourself that you don't.

Main point here probably is that; how can people be so judgemental, while at the same time, ignoring all they think is "alright"?

Is it just human nature to be doublefaced?

Fair enough, just don't count me as everyone (ie. don't generalize).

The point of "most" religions is that if you don't "fully" belief in them you don't belief in it at all. Thus you need to be commited to it (this goes for science aswell btw).

To your point: The society you live in is what makes the "rules" and judges you on that bases. For example:

You smoke weed - bad. Killing a person because you hate him - bad. You love just your (one) wife - good. CorNokZ is a fag - correct. Etc.

Judging people is just a way for us to make order out of chaos (and chaos can be a "bad" thing or hard to comprehend). The problem is that we cling on to ancient rules and don't really like or understand changes. Also some rules are convenient and give power to a few. Etc, etc, etc.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ofcourse not, i wouldn't judge you by what you say(outside i disagree ofc). That would be the same double-face thing i was talking about.

About religion in this; yes, some take it too far, but also those people i don't find as true believers because they act no different from other preachers.

But yeah, i understand what you're saying about controlling chaos. I think it IS easier to judge things and fit in, then to say "we shouldn't judge this" and be in trouble for it.

Doesn't make it right, but understandable.

Kinda like a father going on a killing spree over a dead wife.

Not ok, but understandable.

So i guess, what i will take away fromt his is;

It's not ok to judge someone for treating EVERYONE equal, but it's neither ok to judge people for judging :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I think you're looking for a contradiction where one isn't one

or rather most people would say they're 2 sides of the same harmonious coin which when applied a common sense ordinary every day interpretation is fairly straight-forward

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Treat others as you would have them treat you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom