Connecting To Games Through My Home Network, Please Help

K

Kiada

ok, im sorry to have to post this here, i need help doing this, ive been trying for days, i jus need some helpful soul to give me a hand, so heres the deal..

i had a PC in my bedroom, which is my new one, (Windows XP, 1.2ghz, 128mb Ram, 32MB AGP Graphics..) and i was connected to the net, when lightning destroyed my modem, so i bought a new one, an it wont work in my computer, so i tried one outta the other computer, an it aint having any of it, so basically, i cant connect to the internet directly off my computer which i use to play games on....

So i got my old computer (windows 98SE, 56k dialup, 433mhz, 8mb Graphics, 64ram...) and put it next to my new one in my bedroom. I used a 'Genius LAN 8 Port Hub' to network them both. And shared my old computers connection to the internet over to my new one. I used PPPShar Pro to share my connection, i have sygate, and wingate if its easier with those.

so what am i asking? how i can connect to medal of honor online games through my network, mainly because im gettin broadband soon and it will have to be networked.

ive seen a lot about port forwarding and various programs and ive downloaded 'DXPort' , 'AnalogueX' and 'SockscapV2' though i can buy any programs needed.

At the moment i use PPPshar Pro to share my connection. I have wingate an sygate, i just cant seem to get it working. so far i have managed to get a list of servers, but only the IPs, no game names or pings or anything, and i cant connectr to any of them. And this is with PPPShar Pro, and running the game 'socksified' with SockscapV2.

I jus need somebody to translate it into simple terms like 'You Do This To Make It Work' so that i can understand, i hope you can give me in depth help, ive been trying for days.

MSN: craigwhitley16@hotmail.com
AIM: KiadaMC
email: craigwhitley16@hotmail.com

im pulling my hair out at this, my main concern is the fact i hope to be getting broadband soon, and ill still have to share the connection (with the other computer downstairs, which wud be directly connected, an has same specs as my old one) so help me please

E

Embattle

TBH I find that Connection sharing via software always seems problematic at one point or another and as such I personally use a wireless router to connect my computers to my Cable modem.

If you have £60 then you could get yourself a nice Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router which would be easier and work better.

S

S-Gray

Its not really recommended i believe to share an Internet Connection for Gaming Purposes if your on 56k.. ive tried it and you get very bad lag

K

Kiada

yeah my point is though im getting broadband soon, so i need it really, an i dont have any money, i dont have a job lol, i jus need to play games :'( lol, i really am desperate for help

S

Summo

I don't know anything about the networking software you're using but if you used standard Windows Internet Connection Sharing then you don't need any of this port-forwarding stuff.

I assume you PCs can 'see' each other without a problem? You can copy files between the two and so on?

If I were you I'd spend my time investigating why my modem doesn't work in the machine.

S

S-Gray

yeah, i had got a Proxy (AnalogueX) when i first started Netwokin Computers.. but i found that ICS is a lot easier and mre suitable

K

Kiada

i cant share the connection from windows 98 SE to Windows XP... if anyone can help me with that i wont have to use these half assed programs

E

Embattle

Open your connections folder in Windows XP and use the task 'Set up a home or small office network' work your way through the steps and towards the end it'll ask you if you want to make a network setup disc. Create the Network Setup disk and take it too your Win 98 machine and run the program.

K

Kiada

that never seems to work for sharing the connection does it? i thought that was to just set up the network... hmmm... damn i really am a herb at this type of stuff :'(

E

Embattle

It does work for sharing a connection since I used it to made three computer based on different OSes work together.

S

s-p*

Simply insert your XP operating CD into each computer (let it autorun). Then click on the perform additional tasks --> Set up a home or office network.

Simply follow the instructions on each computer, making sure that the you give the correct method of how each computer connects to the internet. For the Win 98 (old machine), that connects directly, and the other one through a LAN. Reset both computers and the hub. Switch them all back on and hey presto, your network should now be working.

Note: Ensure that the workgroup name is the same on each computer. Default is "MSHOME".

You are probably still likely to have problems connecting to servers though, as your IP is assigned to your computer which is directly connected to the internet. The computer on which you want to play games, will just have a IP for the LAN, but not for the Internet. There is probably a way around this. Someone more knowledgable step in now please. :D

As Summo said, try and get your modem working on your new computer. If it works on your old machine, its more than likely to work on your newer machine. What is the actual problem with the modem on the new machine. What errors do you receive during installation etc?

K

Kiada

no errors, just doesnt find a dial tone, i tried it in my downstairs computer and it worked, an i tried my old broken modem in my downstairs computer an it didnt, so it must be my motherboard or sumthing not allowing it to work, i thought it might have been myphone extension running up the stairs, but it works on my Windows 98 computer which is about half a metre away from my new one, so its jus my motherboard, which means ill probably need an new external modem. (p.s my windows XP computer has been formatted an tried an still doesnt work) which means ill need to get a replacement motherboard for my HP computer, which is a pain in the nutsack. and i dont have any money for a new external modem. And yeah thats my problem, it only sees my LAN IP, so i need port forwarding or summat, so my question now is...

What ports do i open?

What programs do i use to open the ports?

How do i open the ports?

i use PPPshar pro, and it gives me a template for new things.....

#map_name
service=map_name
map=tcp
host=xxx.xxx.com
listen=port_number
remote=port_number
enable=yes

which i change and put into my settings.ini, but how do i configure it to work? cus it wont, and do i need any other programs running?

P.S thanks for your help everyone

E

Embattle

How do you know it was hit by lighting?

If it was then normally the damage would be more extensive than just a modem.

K

Kiada

because it hardly ever thunder an lightens down here, an it was thunder an lightnin, an i heard a spark, an my monitor went weird for a few seconds, an i turned my computer off, turned it back on an my modem went on super high volume control when dialing, then jus wudnt work lol, im not lying

E

Embattle

As stated, if your computer has been affected by a power surge from a lightning strike you've most probably got more damage than just the Modem.

BTW a direct lightning strike would of blown your computer to pieces ;)

K

Kiada

lol i know that lol, BUT what about when i get broadband? this is only delaying the problem, my PC is in my bedroom, an the crappy main one is downstairs, so they will have to be networked anyways! an i still need to know how to do it :)

E

Embattle

Well I and a number of others have already given you answer on using ICS but you can't seem to even use that so you'll have to wait until some one who knows something about that program you are currently trying to use and even then it still may not work properly since your PC in the bedroom could be damaged thus will act up.

K

Kiada

this was about 2 months ago it happened, i jus havent wanted to play games, an ive managed to install a PC TV card an stuff since, so it hasnt thoroughly damaged the board, i will use any program that you think will work, i just want to get it working, so if theres a program that you know will work, jus tell me! (i tried wingate but it said i had a bad ENS version driver whicih wasnt compatible with that wingate engine or sum rubbish)

Dont give up nooow!!! please lol

K

Kiada

oh yeah, and in refference to the microsoft ICS, how can i get that to work on its own? it doesnt have a proxy does it? so how do i configure my browser and stuff??? my computers can see each other fine an transfer files and stuff, but can i just use microsoft ICS alone? if so how

.. lol @ all the questions in this thread, may aswell keep it contained

W

Will

How Will's Home Network works

I have a switched router, very similar but older than the one Embattle suggested. Three PC's are spread around my home plugged into the switch, as is my cable modem.

Using the inbuilt web-browser interface, I used a wizard to configure the set-up (lies, I used a telnet connection, and did it all the hard way, but why complicate a beginner's guide?)

This allows me to share my cable modem between up to four PC's, and transfer files between them all. If you can set up those two PC's of yours to transfer files between each other, you can do what I did.

S

s-p*

Originally posted by Kiada
oh yeah, and in refference to the microsoft ICS, how can i get that to work on its own? it doesnt have a proxy does it? so how do i configure my browser and stuff??? my computers can see each other fine an transfer files and stuff, but can i just use microsoft ICS alone? if so how

.. lol @ all the questions in this thread, may aswell keep it contained

The proxies on mine were setup automatically by the ICS networking wizard. Should have done the same for you.

Using ICS on its own: Simply don't share any drives or files. Therefore the computers would not be able to see each other's drives, but would allow ICS to work (I presume - not tried it).

K

Kiada

i use the network aswell, for like storage, but when i just use the network wizard the browsers an stuff aint setup, if i connect an then open internet explorer it jus comes up with page not found an stuff, damn this is too complicated for my small mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom