Computer turning off

W

Will

So can someone who suffered this tell me how they stopped their PC shutting down to give them long enough to patch it? I'm getting loads of people phoning me asking for help.

I

Insane

i'll just copy+paste what I read and done from another forum.

Grab some anti-virus software (like NAI's "Stinger" program from here which will remove it, then follow these lovely steps

1. Stop the problem from shutting you down, so you can fix it.
press Start-run, type 'dcomcnfg' (without the quotes) and press enter
Now goto Component Services, and double-click Computers.
Right-click My Computer and select properties. Goto the Default Properties tab, and DESELECT Enable Distributed COM on this computer
Press Apply, then ok, and close Component services.
(im not 100% sure if its different on Win2k but look for Default Properties tab on the screen that appears)

2. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO
Now, reboot your machine. If you do not do this, someone can still have access to your machine, and can be causing more damage etc. (by turning off Distributed COM it stops them from gaining access)

3. Goto the MS site, and get the patch for this problem.

WinXP users should choose the '32 bit' option

4. Install patch

5. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO
Reboot your machine for the final time.

At this stage you can re-visit step 1 and re-enable Enable Distributed COM on this computer , its fine to do this as long as you have followed all the steps above.

6. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO DO
Virus scan your machine. Since potentially, someone could have had complete control of your pc, you need to be sure its clean.

And that works, just tested it on my 550 there and no more virus, you might need to manually remove the registry entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run tho!

W

Will

Maybe a bit too technical to allow untrained staff to explain that over the phone to members of the public...

A

adams901

Originally posted by Will
So can someone who suffered this tell me how they stopped their PC shutting down to give them long enough to patch it? I'm getting loads of people phoning me asking for help.
FFS WILL DONT YOU READ MY POSTS :(

"If you dont have time to download the patch then just turn off RPC by going to run and typing shutdown -a"

W

Will

Heh, I can't test it from here, so I wanted someone to confirm it worked...it sounded a little too easy.

A

adams901

well it worked when i told my brother and all his mates to do it :).
It's not a permanent fix but it stops the computer from shutting down for the session (giving them time to patch).

D

danger

yep you can test it if you hit ctrl-alt-del and try to end task on SVCHOST.exe you'll get the same shutdown in 60seconds screen... bring up a command prompt and type shutdown -a will sort that out nicely :p

W

Will

I'm on a locked down PC here at work, so testing isn't possible. I don't even have Run on my Start menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom