Computer freezes when switching characters

T

trigali

Hi there.

I have some serious difficultires switching from one character to an other from the character menu (those 8 slots we have).

Typically I will type /q from my session to be brought to that character menu, then select an other char and hit "Play".

The game loads up (nice screeny of some fort or dungeon with the loading icon nicely turning red in the right hand corner).

Then everything freezes. I can't get out of that lovely fort picture at all. The icon shows the game has loaded, the music comes to an end and I get a silent, frozen screen.

The only way to get out is to do a hard reboot of my comp.

Needless to say, I'm starting to dislike the nice screeny quite a bit.

Has anyone else had that problem ? How did you sort it out ?

S

sieben_dapoet

i have had this problem too, but not that often... havent solved it yet either so if anyone has any suggestions let us know ay :)

{although i gotta say i do get this it is very rare}

T

trigali

I have 2 main characters on that account.

I get the problem from time to time when switching from Trigali to Cili

I get it ALL THE TIME when switching from Cili to Trigali.

Go figure.

G

Gabrial

Pretty sure I had this problem a while ago - was graphics related. Updated drivers was no good, in the end I had to flash my BIOS to fix the problem. I would recommend you check your vid drivers for latest versions - failing that, check your BIOS is up to date.

C

Cadire

I have this problem sometimes too. Computer just locks up, and a hard reset is required.

I can't swear to it, but it seems to happen if one char is in SI, and the other isn't.

T

trigali

You may have something Cadire... Cili tends to be parked in Hagall and Trigali in Svasud...

I'll look into it.

Then it's off to Rightnow...

C

cadiva

You could also try downloading the latest DirectX 9.a too, one of my guildmates had the same problem til she did that and now I believe its fine for her.

S

'Shy

Originally posted by Cadire
I have this problem sometimes too. Computer just locks up, and a hard reset is required.

I can't swear to it, but it seems to happen if one char is in SI, and the other isn't.

I've had this too. And thinking about it, it happened the most switching from my Druid in Domnann to my Mentalist in Tir Na Nog, and vice versa, so that could have something to do with it.

I've now formatted due to other problems, so everything is all brand new and freshly reinstalled, and not had this issue again yet, cross fingers.

Definitely something to do with NVidia graphics drivers tho.

D

darbey

I have had the same problem for some time now, also occurs alot when i zone. Was doing it 100% of the time with win xp however uit got slightly better when i reformat and put win2k on , does it about 60% now. Have tried everythig from driver updates, the agp patch fix, bios updates, lowered setting none seems to make a difference , in the process of seeing whether its a cooling issue as it seemed to significantly improve when i ran it with the case open. It began to do this when i inastalled a ti4800 GF4.

S

'Shy

Bah happened twice tonight. The second time after it booted back up it said an nvidia drivers error report. But I have the latest drivers downloaded from nvidia.com on 23 March so can't think what else to do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread