Computer automatic shutdown.. =s

G

gorillaz

Hello, i am havin' some problems with my PC....

The last few days,
It shutdown quite often for some reason...without some warnin',
the screen juz gone black!

and will come back like reboot few seconds after it shutdown...

So how can i solve that problem? =S

Thx
Ryan

F

frogster

If you are using XP

Right click MY Computer> Properties

Go to the Advanced Tab
Startup and Recovery Settings Button
Uncheck "Automatically Restart" Check box

This means you will atleast get an error message the next time its crashes and will give up something to work with.

If you arent...

Have you updated any drivers lately?
Does it just happen in DAoC?
If it happens in all CPU Intensive applications it could be a heat issue, especially if it doesnt ever happen when your machine is idle.

You havent really given much to work with but these are a few things off the top of my head.

B

boni_ofdavoid

check for viruses, the more common ones tend to end up with a reboot as you describe.

get a decent PSU, 400w+. bad or insufficent power will cause your pc to shut down too.

G

gorillaz

PSU means power supply Unit?
yeah i think it's somethin' do with it.. so how will i sort it out? =S where info?
i am typin' this fast before it shutdown lol

G

gorillaz

i been lookin' into power options properties, under UPS tab,
it seems so odd... Status; there's nothin' that workin' ..eg UPS service is currently stopped...
Manufacture: (None)
Status.... nothin' there =O

H

hrodelbert

ahhh i'm not technically minded but it could be that your PSU isn't supplying enough voltage to your power greedy PC, if that is the case go to your local PC shop ask them what you need, prolly the one higher and they'll sell it to you , when this happened to me they gave me the new one in exchange for the old with no charge saying sorry for the inconveniance ;o

O

old.Dimitris

no gorillaz, UPS has nothing to do with PSU :)

UPS= Uninterruptible Power Supply, is an external machine that keeps your pc working for some time even if power is down.

dont worry about it.

now for PSU = Power Supply Unit is the box located at the back of your PC case and gives power to yer system.

Usually random freezes/shutdowns mean

System is overheated (could be CPU, GFX card, or even HD sometimes)

or

Memory problems (faulty module etc)

or .. tons of more reasons :(

B

boni_ofdavoid

Originally posted by gorillaz
PSU means power supply Unit?
yeah i think it's somethin' do with it.. so how will i sort it out? =S where info?
i am typin' this fast before it shutdown lol

step a).
Open up your PC, and look for the big box thing at the top near the back with a big fan in it and loads and loads of power wires comming out of it. Unplug it, unscrew it, throw it in the bin.

step b).
Pop to PC world (or wherever) and ask for a PSU, demand they give you something with lots of watts (400+ is what I use, though if they are decent and not jammed full of fag ash then a lower one might be fine).

step c).
Jam it back into the same place the old one came from and plug some of the power leads that came with it back into your motherboard / drives etc, just reverse what u did in step a).

(optional paranoid step)
Stand 20 feet back from pc, and turn it on using a long plastic pole, duck for cover just incase.

Tada! new PSU installed.

D

Danya

Very few PCs actually need over about 250W, however most PSUs are so cheap you have to buy at least a 400W to actually get it to work (or buy a decent 300W).

Users who are viewing this thread