[QUESTION] Community Managers: Effort involved in removing the 500-characters per guild limit?

pbaz

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

<Blade and Quill> are an Order guild, formed in the first few hours of release, on the English-language Karak-Eight-Peaks (KEP) server. Prior to this, we existed as a DAoC guild for around 5 years on the English-language Excalibur server.

We are the largest guild on the KEP server (by quite a large margin) and last night recruited our 500th member. When we then tried to recruit member 501, we were informed that we had hit the size limit for guild membership.

We had not expected this problem, since information on the War Herald states:

Q: Is there a maximum number of characters allowable in a guild?

A: Nope! You can invite any number from six on up. The sky is the limit!

(Link: Grab Bag #25).

Whilst there are some things that we can do to actively manage this situation (kick inactive characters, restrict the number of alts each member may have in the guild, etc), we consider these to be short-term solutions. The long-term solution must come from Mythic with a change to the game code to allow guilds to grow larger than 500 characters. I am, therefore, seeking to clarify if this change is possible and how long it would take to implement.

As a guild, we continue to have membership growth aspirations, especially in these early stages of the game when player numbers are at their highest. We also consider the scale of our guild to be a major positive for the more “casual” players in our ranks, as this makes their game experience much richer (and, consequently, they enjoy the game more and remain paying customers for longer).

I have opted to make this request on community forums, so that other guilds can be made aware of the current membership number limits. Apologies if this issue has already been discussed.

Thanks!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
We are the largest guild on the KEP server (by quite a large margin) and last night recruited our 500th member. When we then tried to recruit member 501, we were informed that we had hit the size limit for guild membership.

lol

make a 2nd guild, put it in an alliance ? :m00:

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
how about some quality over quantity first?

Thats not the point and who are you to say how people should play? The grab bag clearly stated that there was no limit and then it turns out that there is a limit of just 500 characters. If this question had been answered correctly at the time guilds could have planned to limit the number of alts or kick inactives etc. I don't think it is un-reasonable to question if this limit is likely to change.

Many guilds will run into a population problem as time goes on and people roll alts and new people join while others stop playing.

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
... limit the number of alts or kick inactives etc...

There's the solution then.

500 characters could be as little as 50 actual accounts.

No skin of my nose either way, by the by. Raise the cap, remove the cap, leave the cap alone, whatever.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
whats the point in having inactive characters in the guild in the first place? is that only so u can boast with "biggest guild"?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
As a stop gap I'd boot out all the lvl1s and put a minimum level of 10 in joining the guild. 10 is high enough that people are investing some time but not so high it stops them from enjoying the game with their friends. You can get to lvl10 in 2 nights casual play.

I can't comment on the grab bags but I do remember a long time ago it being said that there was a 500 member limit but I can't remember if this was a beta thing or post launch.

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
We're forwarding this to Mythic and we'll see how they choose to increase the character limit or change the grab bag.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Haha, some people seem really bitter you have the biggest guild like :p

eksdee

FH is my second home
it just boggles my mind why anyone would want to be in a 'guild' where you can't possibly personally know more than 5% of the members. i'm in a guild with 13 members. everyone is active and plays every night and i know everyone pretty well (some more than others obviously) and i just can't imagine having the same kind of atmosphere and guild 'feeling' that i get from that. i'm not saying that anyone should or should not play the game that way, i just think it's actually kind of detrimental to the community aspect of the game in a weird way.

none-the-less, i'm sure it's not doing anyone any real harm so whatever at the end of the day, it's just totally alien to me.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
how about some quality over quantity first?
Not every guild want to the the 1st WTFPWN1337 guild out there.

And removing people due to inactivity, well sure, but have a reason. I've been dropped from a guild cause i didnt play for a month due to work, no fun to work 14 hours, then get home and log on. This was one of the factors that made me leave the game, left notice on forums i was goin to be away, updated it now and then. Got back after a month of no "ingame" activity, to find myself removed from guild, got no reason for it, until the day after i mentioned i was leaving the game. /rant off.

But hope you get your guild member limit upgraded. :)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
To be honest, i sincerly don't know what's the actual overall cap, population wise, for a typical War server.
But bloody hell, 500 people ain't exactly a low cap for a SINGLE guild ain't it?
Anyway not that is bothering me after all :p

eksdee

FH is my second home

did i insinuate that? don't let your insecurities get the better of you. i explained my point quite clearly but you chose to make a silly assumption instead. well done.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
did i insinuate that? don't let your insecurities get the better of you. i explained my point quite clearly but you chose to make a silly assumption instead. well done.

No but you certainly confirmed you're a twat.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

And removing people due to inactivity, well sure, but have a reason. I've been dropped from a guild cause i didnt play for a month due to work, no fun to work 14 hours, then get home and log on. This was one of the factors that made me leave the game, left notice on forums i was goin to be away, updated it now and then. Got back after a month of no "ingame" activity, to find myself removed from guild, got no reason for it, until the day after i mentioned i was leaving the game. /rant off.

But hope you get your guild member limit upgraded. :)

sounds like a shit guild tbh :)

pbaz

Fledgling Freddie
Firstly, thanks to Magnus for passing this request along. Should we expect you to post the response here?

Secondly, a big :cheers: to those who replied with support and/or constructive suggestions.

Finally, a big :fluffle: to those who let hate get the better of them in their replies.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy

Even though you're a rotten hossthief, you always have a home here with us Fatnir if you are ever looking - any time in any game :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Who's insecurities are we talking about? :twak:

I dont have any insecurities, cause i know i suck at pvp, get to excited.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom