Commit Charge

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
I've just bunged more ram into my box in an effort to get two atlantis clients to run together reliably. Total ram is now 1.5 gig 2 x 256mb and 2 x 512mb. I've had to take the old 256's out as every time the commit charge went over half a gig the clients quit silently. The 256's were in the first bank (slots 0/1) and the 512's in the second bank (slots 2/3). All the ram is DDR 400 rated, but two different manufacturers.

What I was hoping to avoid was the peak commit charge exceeding the physical ram in my box, but I've had to remove the 256's to get back to a stable system. Is anyone running a 2 banked memory setup where the commit charge regularly exceeds the size if the first bank? Is there anything I can do to fool my system into thinking that all this memory is identical (which it is supposed to be in theory)?

TIA

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
i found putting the 512 into the first slots and the 256 into the others although i am only running with 1 512 and 2 256. when i had the 256 in the first slot it didn't like it much.
try that it might work

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
As you are using DD400 you might well have a Duel channel Mainboard in which you would want teh memory in teh follow configuration 512mb, 256mb, 512mb,256mb . The best way to tell if you bard supports duel channel is the memory solts will normaly be blue and back.. e.g blue. back . blue . back slot if you get what i mean.. sorry im useless at explaining stuff.. lol.. but I do try and help.

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
I've tried swapping the banks over, but still get a crash as soon as commit charge hits the size of the 1st bank (now 1GB). Flashed BIOS and updated chipset driver to no avail :(

Is it more likely to be my mobo not liking a memory space that spans two banks or two different brands of DRAM that is causing the problem?

Mobo is a Gigabyte 8IK100 rev 2.0, which has 6 dimm slots, taking up to 4GB in total (alledgedly).

Anyone seen a problem like this before?

Influenza

Part of the furniture
I dont know if you motherboard has the same layout as mine ( Gigabyte GA-8KNXP) but ill try help anyway.

My ram slots are labelled as DDR1 DDR2 etc...in order to run Dual Channel my ram has to be in DDR1 and DDR4.

So you could try the 512s , 1 in DDR1 other in DDR4 and the 256s in DDR2 and DDR5.

On mine DDR1 is the closet to the CPU , i cant find a layout of your board anywhere on the net so i cant be sure its the same unfortunetly. :(

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Check your motherboard manual to see if there are any slots paired as dual channel. In general you should be able to mix different manufacturer's sticks of dram without issues, however it may be a case that the timing is detected off bank 0, and the modules support different timings - might be worth finding out what the timings used are with different sticks in the first slot.

Oidche

Fledgling Freddie
There really is no need to keep the memory of one process below one DIMM/bank. Our company's prduct is a database, and those processes take up all available memory all the time in one big blob. If your system crashes because the second DIMM/bank is accessed, it's either broken hardware, or you borked up your setup.

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
Oidche said:
If your system crashes because the second DIMM/bank is accessed, it's either broken hardware, or you borked up your setup.

Can you elaborate on borked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom