Coming Back

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Guys

For what seems like a HUGE break, I have decided to return to DAoC... I've not played since the beginning of the year, and while I know there have been changes, I am not certain what they are!

So - being the lazy bones that I am, can anyone give me the brief, low skinny version of what has changes. Is ToA worth it? Is RvR improved? Did Albion ever get the relics back from the Middies? What is considered FotM these days?

I needed a break from DAoC anyway - I'd played solidly for a year and realised that there was infact things in the real world... That got boring, so I thought I would renew my subs and see what's happening!

Cheers for any info!

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
the_hermit said:
Is ToA worth it?
Yes, you need ToA to be effective. ToA does, however, suck :p
the_hermit said:
Is RvR improved?
Not really, some MAs are horrible and kinda ruined RvR.
the_hermit said:
What is considered FotM these days?
Some sort of Bodyguarded caster-group probably.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
You might be better off with another mmorpg, (a new one), where not all the hassle is like here

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Ahh the hassle I can deal with - I played DAoC solidly for just over a year, so the whining and complaining about one realm doing this or being more powerful than that - not a problem.

I Beta'd Wish - nightmare with too many problems, so dropped out. I tried SWG - not my cuppa. Tried Shadowbane - I don't mind PvP but prefer to do it when I want, not get jumped every step of the way. Tried Eve, but again, not really that interesting.

Not a case of trying a new MMORPG - pretty much every one I tried had group A complaining about group B, person A threatening to quit because of all the "problems"... Just the nature of these games I think.

Probably a case of DAoC being my first MMORPG and the one I will always go back to, but I DO love the game! And lucky me - my wife was/is an addict as well!

Saggy:

Thanks for the info - I was expecting ToA to be a bit pants, but one of those neccesary evils that are needed to keep up with the masses. I occasionally went on PvP raids in the frontier, and went into DF as and when I had a group, but was never a die-hard PvP'er.

As for the FotM stuff - cool... I tended to play casters more than anything, so will steer away from the general stuff that everyone else does!

Last question - did the guild "The Dragon Fighters" fold? I tried a search, and it would appear they did, which is a shame... SWG killed it off mostly, and it was about this time that I started getting bored of DAoC. Any members of TDF still out there?

Thanks for the help!

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
Ballad said:
Just wait till WoW / EQII.
Yes, 'cause we all know those will be perfect.

To be honest, the most exciting thing on the MMORPG horizon is looking to be New Frontiers. Neither EQ2 or WoW look to have much to add to the PvP world. Will they actually be anything more than just another PvE XP grind? I hope they are, but I wouldn't bank on it.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Pogel said:
Yes, 'cause we all know those will be perfect.

To be honest, the most exciting thing on the MMORPG horizon is looking to be New Frontiers. Neither EQ2 or WoW look to have much to add to the PvP world. Will they actually be anything more than just another PvE XP grind? I hope they are, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Just a case of "wait and see" I think... The Dungeons & Dragons one (which is still in development I believe) is supposed have lots of whistles and knobs on it, but will it and the other games be BETTER or will they just be DIFFERENT? Again - wait and see I suppose :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
EVE rules imo so much depth to it, totally player controlled economyn the pvp is some of the best ive seen.

Most new players seem to get it in there heads that you have to mine... you dont i aint touched a roid since i started :)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
You will be coming late to ToA though and one of its problems is that for a lot of it you need organised raids. They are not as frequent now. I would check out the posts about ToA 'raids' - you may find them less frequent these days.

And to EQ2 and WoW doing forget Guild Wars, Lineage2, City of Heroes, Dragon Empires, Ryzom etc.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Who cares about EVE now anyway :p

They are shutting it down this year i heard.

Aada

Part of the furniture
lol you heard wrong.

EVE continues to break records with the amount of players online on just 1 server! try beating 10k players and no lag...

shutting it down that has to be the biggest noob answer ive ever heard :puke:

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
There's not a lot happening at times on the eve server, it's hardly as demanding a game as DAOC on servers.

I gave up after 2 months, seriously boring :)

Tomtefan

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
lol you heard wrong.

EVE continues to break records with the amount of players online on just 1 server! try beating 10k players and no lag...

shutting it down that has to be the biggest noob answer ive ever heard :puke:

Just because they manage to have 10k players on one server doesn't mean that the game is popular nor great, it just shows that they have bothered to linkup enough computers in a cluster in order to achieve this, nothing special with that really...

(And no having loads of simultainous players on one server doesn't necessarily mean that the game is great) =P

Spark

Fledgling Freddie
well then, Gimme Blizzard gamedevelopers / Moneh and EVEs hardware i guess.. And Daoc skin ! ofc .. okthx!!1

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
im finally free :cheers: waiting for my Planetside copy to arrive and yes i played trial ;)

i got tired of all the cashfarming, Bugabusers, Radar users, rude ignorant twats, boredom :puke: really not worth going back imo but if you still got your copies id suggest you try playing for a month and then decide.

Ashgen

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmmm

I have been away for a few months now. I logged on at the weekend, out of interest, and was quite tempted to give it another go.

I was finally put off when after chatting to some old friends, they advised me that not having key master levels and a number of artefacts, I would just be cannon fodder. These are very hard to get now, I am told, as organised raids are not done now that the “elite” players have their kit and ML’s sorted.

So I guess DAoC will be dead and buried for me now for good.

I played Lineage in Beta for a while, it has lots of promise but it has a mainly American player base so has all the “attitudes” I left Asherons Call for (i.e. obnoxious little American brats). It also has a few bug abusers who are now very wealthy and so adversely effect the economy and levelling.

There are lots of other MMORG’s on the horizon, Darkfall, Dark and Light, EQII, WoW etc. Hopefully one of those will offer the fun I had before TOA killed DAoC for the casual gamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom