Coming back and stuff

Frosti

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all, just downloading the game again. Been away about two and a half years, doing mainly RL stuff.

Logged on here and started to read and noticed people are thinking of moving to the US and nobody seems to play anymore in Europe. Seems I got my timing right as usual :)

Going to log in to Pryd and see what's happeing later tonight when the download is finished and I have figured out what all the keys and mouse buttons do - always embarrassing falling off a cliff straight away. Might create a level 1 char so I don't look too silly.

WRT the US servers, I started in the US back when there were no Euro servers. I just checked and there are less people online on my old server cluster in the US at this moment in time than there are on Prydwen right now. The big problem with the US servers was always the time difference, but I presume those of you thinking of moving have thought of that.

Are the servers here cluserted at all? Going to have to do some reading on game mechanics and so on as I haven't got a clue what works and what doesn't. Need to find out what a classic server is... if it doesn't invlove ToA it sounds good, but who knows. To be honest I loved the game at the beginning and could have cared less with all the expansions, but maybe I'm wearing the rose-tinted spectacles of not having played for so long.

Think I'll mourn my house first as I suspect I last logged out where it stood so there will be an empty plot or someone else there now - heh. Wonder what's happened to all my kit. Shall I start a healer? Maybe go Alb and an armsman...

Heh, gotta be worth a month's fees to see what it's like and if there's anyone still about...

... bet I'm not still guilded. just noticed my sig. heh

Frosti, level 50 dorf Hunter, Prydwen

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Go US classic.

It is the same as a normal server except it has no ToA and you don't need a buffbot.
Trying to level a healer on Pryd would be suicide.. you'll have zero people to group with to 50 then no-one to play with once you get 50, nevermind a way to get it ToA'ed and arti'ed.

Most US clusters have more population at Euro primetime than the english cluster these days. US Classic will probably have the same population in Thid as the English cluster does total during a UK evening.

Frosti

Fledgling Freddie
So what you're saying is that I'm downloading the wrong game, and should have just headed back to the US :)

I was on Nimue (Caratacus, 50 Arms) and there aren't many people online there at the mo. Would have to start again on a classic server. Still, might be worth a look. Think I'll give Europe a go for a month or so, just to see what's happening, or is it a total waste of time if you aren't ToA'ed to the eyeballs with all artifacts and a very high realm rank? Can't remember what Frosti got to in terms of gear and so on.

I presume my abilities will all be set at zero because of the changes, so I'll have to respec anyway. More reading...

I was a spear hunter which worked well when there were people around, but who knows now - have to try and remember how to play anyway :)

Anyone who remembers me and says I couldn't play before... bite me :)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Id go to Classic. Its an easier pace there(good for the noob, I mean returning player!) and there are plenty of established EU guilds over there.

The lack of buffbot is always good, not to mention having other level ones to group with.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
There has been a significant amount of server clustering.

Both english servers have been clustered but the population is still extremely low.

The most populated servers are the German ones. Avalon and Lyonesse are clustered which means there are 2000+ online at time you will be able to play. The other 3 German servers are clustered together and have a similar population. The disadvantage is that the language is German.

The US servers have the best population if you want to play in english. Alot of people play the Classic cluster there and you will have an easy time leveling.

Frosti

Fledgling Freddie
I have the US disk sets for Shrouded Isles, ToA and Catacombs. Would that do to get me back online, or is there another download I'd need? I'm on Vista these days so might not even install? Could try Euro and US at the same time, I guess :)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I have the US disk sets for Shrouded Isles, ToA and Catacombs. Would that do to get me back online, or is there another download I'd need? I'm on Vista these days so might not even install? Could try Euro and US at the same time, I guess :)

Well, install all the way up to catacombs, try it out. If you like it, buy darkness rising and lotm, otherwise just lurk about in cats :)

Frosti

Fledgling Freddie
Does Darkness Rising and LotM work on a classic server? Is a classic server just one without ToA... better go read...

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Frosti said:
Does Darkness Rising and LotM work on a classic server? Is a classic server just one without ToA... better go read...

Classic servers are identical to normal servers except there's no TOA zones, so no artifacts or ML's, and you can only buff people in your own group and a certain distance from you which means there's no need for a buffbot.

All the other expansions are still active there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom