coincidence or just some sick plot not to lose customers?

K

klavrynd

start of retail -> now : doublefrosting for 150 dmg, /random 100 never over 40 , sick parry/evade rates, and general "bad luck with the random number generator" pissing me off. So i decide it's over and done with and close my account not knowing when i'll be back.

From that day on ive been in what i like to call uber mode, hitting 3xx-4xx-5xx all the time (basically doing what i should) , getting high /random rolls, drops from monsters increased, etc osv

this leaves me with the question : "coincidence or just some sick plot not to lose customers?"

<holds wood>

U

uberweebeastie

From that day on ive been in what i like to call uber mode, hitting 3xx-4xx-5xx all the time (basically doing what i should) You Admit that, that dmg is Uber, so your saying u should do Uber dmg and everyone else not?.... anyway Bye

F

Fafnir

Originally posted by uberweebeastie
From that day on ive been in what i like to call uber mode, hitting 3xx-4xx-5xx all the time (basically doing what i should) You Admit that, that dmg is Uber, so your saying u should do Uber dmg and everyone else not?.... anyway Bye
Thats what the Zerks of myth did. And was able to take alot of punishment.

O

old.Gromnir

/me waves at Klavrynd

Well I cant say anything but cheers that things have turned for the better, and that i'd miss your voice on the boards if you left.

K

Kyo Shunketsu

If we really wanted to put some myth into classes, then imho...

Berzerkers, yes they would do humongus amounts of damage and take them too, since they're supposed to be in a trance/fury/berserk that makes them impervious to pain or sense, but they would also hurt realm mates and such.

Blademasters, on the other hand, are supposed to be excellent swordsmen who had reached a pinnacle with their skills, almost Zen like - such that they do damage not brutely, but fine, practiced pierces that disables their opponents very quickly (if you watched chinese kungfu movies with swordsmen in them you would probably understand what a blademaster should be).

Merceneries, comparatively weaker to either class (because its neither slightly magical like the Zen-ish blademasters or Furious Berserkers), but have their own strengths. Sure, they don't wear plate armour, and they don't use huge imperial weapons like armsmen and paladins. Thus they should be very similar to an assassin style of play, by far more befitting than infiltrators themselves. (Of course, there are merceneries that are tanks, figuratively). Maybe a lesser backstab line or ability to get better money from monsters/tasks (hey, they are for hire after all) would fit.

I personally think the most hurting thing about DAoC melee classes is that they share alot of their lines. Spellcasters have baseline spells, but they spec to get their spec spells. Melee-ers don't get base spells, but they spec to get a style common to all classes with that line, which will invariably unbalance some classes. (Eg, Left axe damage is suitable for a Berserker, but not a Shadowblade, but they get the exact same styles)

My solution would be a special 'spec styles' line for every class who can spec in styles. Eg, a blademaster who specs in his blades (or weap spec) and celtic dual might receive special styles which are specific to blademasters alone (not RAs or Unique abilities like Flurry or Triple wield, but 'normal' styles which take up endurance, just only available to that class. Eg, a blademaster ought to have special styles, eg, something like Heavy Arm strike, opens after a parry, does not do alot of additional damage, but has 10% chance to cause con% loss on sleeves, reduce damage of enemy for next 2-3 rounds (you hit its arm after all, disabling it would be overkill but slightly numbing it to do slightly less damage would be good).

Just my 2 cents :)

K

Kyo Shunketsu

I actually have alot of such ideas floating around in my head :p

And I thought of styles for the mercenery, since they are not capable of going into rage like the Berserker, or the actual mastery of a weapon like blademasters, it would be a slight cross in between, eg, blademasters skillfully wield their blades to disable opponents amicably, eg, Zen like, small reductions to damage/hits, the merc would get much higher bonuses, eg, Blinding Strike, opens after parry, target dex reduction, guaranteed misses for the next 1-2 rounds (means its prone to diminishing returns - the missing ability will not be available for the rest of the battle or something) and so on.

Would be fitting since Merceneries are supposed to be ruthless and kill for money, and want the most devastating attacks available to them (not exactly the most damage, but the most effects).

'tis is not exactly in DAoC because it doesn't have a divided collision engine: eg, called shots against specific parts of a body to do different damages/effects. Otherwise it would be possible for players to actually know what styles their opponents are attempting to do and have reactive styles to act against, eg:

Mercenery is attempting to pierce at your eyes! (Merc using Blinding Strike)
You prepare to do a Cross Guard!

Crossguard, available only when target is attempting to damage your head, negates that attack with a special parry and bounces attack back to target - probably 40% of the intended damage of target)

This way, melee would be much improved for PvP (1 to 1 usually) and more interesting too, and duels would actually depend on the smart estimate of what the opponent will try to do and reacting to that instead of spamming the best anytime styles and having great equipment.

It probably won't work though, and would make combat much, much more complicated that it already is, but of course, you could continue using the base styles and ignore these styles completely, but you will miss out the advantages that dedicated players put in extra effort to make use of such reactive styles.

A

ashitaka

I never got the pleasure to send an arrow towards you Klav, shame you're leaving but I can't blame you for it. Enjoy whatever you'll be doing next..

-sko/ciramos

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom