Coffee - pod machines

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
So I'm not a big fan of pod machines for coffee purely because I find Senseo's so shite (my fully furnished flat came with one and I hate it...).. However on Thursday I was out and about window shopping when I came across the lavazza modo mio premium... yes a pod machine.

I have a hob espresso maker but it is messy and it is not quick also making fluffeh milk is not easy without a machine (also messy as I have had one)...

So I bought it as it was in the sale along with some awesome bodum glasses (espresso, cappuccino, and macchiato size), took it home and started brewing...

All I can say is that it is awesome and already has been worth every penny, although with my accountants head on I will start to get a return on my investment in abut 60 days when it will have paid for itself the 4 boxes of pods and the glasses...

It isn't messy as the pods get rejected into a lickle box in the machine, it is easy to clean and it makes an awesome cup in 40 seconds!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Funny you mention this Yoni, I was going to post a thread asking for someone to recommend an espresso machine that makes coffee that tastes like proper coffee. Does this device do said thing?

Yoni

For me yes but go to a shop and ask for a demo :)

I tend to drink cappuccino / macchiato / latte / verkeerd with espresso only when I have to work through the night (not often).

I was completely surprised at the quality of this especially when comparing the flavour to that from my hop espresso maker and traditional espresso makers oh and the milk steamer thing was a selling point due to the above ;/..

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I tend to find pod coffee machines don't make espresso strong enough for my taste. It's why I asked for a combi coffee maker as one of my wedding presents because I like to make it to my preference.

It's one of those multi-station ones that makes filter coffee on one side, espresso on the other with a milk heater/frother in the middle.

There are some things that I won't compromise on in these tight money times and coffee is one of them. My home broadband is another. :)

Yoni

the modo mio premium comes with the ability to change the strength :) (one of the reasons I got the premium model instead of the std).

I am not a big fan of filter coffee anymore however when I am in the mood for that I have a great cup which has a a filter built in (as I rarely make filter coffee for more than just me)...

Nate

FH is my second home
Is that a pod only Tom? Do you need a seperate grinder?

Nate

FH is my second home
Might buy one of those, amazon seems to be the best price I can find for £360ish

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The nespresso pod machines are great - I've got the elcheapo magimix one and it makes an absolutely ace cup of espresso and has a little steamer thing for frothing and heating the milk. Lovely stuff.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is that a pod only Tom? Do you need a seperate grinder?

No, I just buy packs of Lavazza coffee and press the grinds into the filter holder, with the supplied damper.

You could buy beans if you wanted, but you'd need a grinder. The Lavazza stuff is pretty excellent.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Might buy one of those, amazon seems to be the best price I can find for £360ish

I've had two minor problems with mine. One is that the foamer gets loose in the body of the machine, and a little bit of hot water will therefore run down the pipe when in use. It isn't a big deal though. The other is that the temperature gauge on the front has stopped working, I'm pretty sure its just a knackered sensor, the gauge is just for show anyway.

Oh and the strainer on the machine itself needs cleaning every few months. Make sure you get a damn good allen key, because the bolt that holds it in place is soft metal. To get the old sludgy coffee out of the holes, I chuck it in a cup of Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner for 30 minutes, and then draw a wire brush across the back.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
My only concern over these pod machines is the increase in plastic waste. A little plastic pod to be chucked away every time you have a drink seems a bit horrific :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The nespresso capsules are made out of aluminium and they have a recycle program. They give you a big bang to toss all the used capsules in to and just bring it back to the shop when you buy more.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
...or you could just use coffee grinds and a damper, and chuck the used grinds into the composter.

Pods are very convenient, but (IMO) certainly aren't so convenient that they can ever justify the cost.

I found a picture I took of mine.

2610095449_3ed03dfc4c_b.jpg

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's some dodgy grouting around your socket there dude :D ;):p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
one of my photography mates has a pod machine, and it's surprisingly good sayeth the teed (who is quite picky as you all know). he also has a subscription to some wonder webby that automatically sends him a new pack of pods he's preselected every month. They're packaged in such a way that they fit through 99% of all letterboxes, so he has a guaranteed supply.

me, I have a QuickMill espresso machine and a grinder, because I'm a fussy cox. Quad-espresso's all the way baybeee!

Yoni

one of my photography mates has a pod machine, and it's surprisingly good sayeth the teed (who is quite picky as you all know). he also has a subscription to some wonder webby that automatically sends him a new pack of pods he's preselected every month. They're packaged in such a way that they fit through 99% of all letterboxes, so he has a guaranteed supply.

me, I have a QuickMill espresso machine and a grinder, because I'm a fussy cox. Quad-espresso's all the way baybeee!

can you find the webby for me... tried looking but cant see it :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom