CO Detectors

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Apologies, but this is a bit of a Public Service Announcement. I've been quite shaken up by today's events and feel the need to drive the point home.

I discovered today that two weeks ago, one of my neighbours died of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. I further discovered that the CO levels in the block of flats are way above where they should be (and no-one had thought to warn us, however that's a separate issue).

She was in her thirties and healthy. And now she's dead.

We live in a modern block of flats, and had, like the other residents, foolishly thought therefore that we didn't need a CO detector.

They are £30. Go and buy one now. Don't dick about, don't be cheap, just get one.

(Apologies once again for the rant)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This needs checking up on, but I'm pretty sure that Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air, so the detectors should not be mounted near the ceiling?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
My mum takes this kind of thing fairly seriously and has one - it sits on the kitchen worktop - I presume she found out that'd be a decent place to keep it. However, it's probably worth finding out for sure.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
This needs checking up on, but I'm pretty sure that Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air, so the detectors should not be mounted near the ceiling?
It's very slightly lighter than air. The installation recommendations for the alarm we bought say to wall-mount, or place on a table, no more than three feet off the floor. It's a good manual, with a lot of other do's/don'ts - in short RTFM.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
ALDI stores have them in this weeks special offers. 2 for £3.49

Embattle

FH is my second home
We've had one of these for ages, it's about the same size as a fire alarm and is located in a plug socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom