Clustering ?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
they are going to patch on thursday and then they said they were going to implement the clustering a little later

Unleashed

Loyal Freddie
cool, thnx m8 ;)

this is stupid question, but...

how are goa going to monitor peeps playing a pryd and a excal char, if they have 2 accs ofc.

They could spend all night killing each other and making good rps lol

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
you can do that anyway if you have two accounts one in each realm on the same server

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Doesn't stop people doing it though, same reason downloading music is illegal people still do it.

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
We won't be clustering the servers until after the patch is up and stable, the last estimate I heard was approx 3 weeks after the patch.

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
3 weeks ? dammit thats another month.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
The way I see it, clustering may make population numbers drop further.

With the enforced eight-hour wait when switching servers, significantly less people will bother playing their alts on the other server.

Now, I realise actual population probably won't drop, but in the case of people with mains on Excal and alts on Prydwen, the latter server will see a marked decrease in people actually on and playing... which, frankly, Prydwen does not need, with its numbers already low.

If you ask me, I'd say a better choice would be actually advertising DAoC in English-language gaming magazines and so on, as I've yet to see a single ad for DAoC anywhere. That's just my opinion, though.

Gamah

Banned
Margaret said:

With the enforced eight-hour wait when switching servers, significantly less people will bother playing their alts on the other server.

Now, I realise actual population probably won't drop, but in the case of people with mains on Excal and alts on Prydwen, the latter server will see a marked decrease in people actually on and playing... which, frankly, Prydwen does not need, with its numbers already low.

If you ask me, I'd say a better choice would be actually advertising DAoC in English-language gaming magazines and so on, as I've yet to see a single ad for DAoC anywhere. That's just my opinion, though.

If you read the news you would know that the wait time is only 1 hour on GOA servers.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Really? Well, that's one good thing, then. I couldn't find the actual news about it, and had been told it was eight hours by someone who was 'absolutely certain' about it. Oh well, my mistake.

I still stand by my opinion that DAoC could do with some actual advertising, though.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Margaret said:

Its only 1hour.

/Dracus

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Margaret said:
Really? Well, that's one good thing, then. I couldn't find the actual news about it, and had been told it was eight hours by someone who was 'absolutely certain' about it. Oh well, my mistake.

I still stand by my opinion that DAoC could do with some actual advertising, though.
I've told several friends this, don't trust people who are "absolute certain". Trust the official websites. :) And yes, its only 1 hour. So not really a big deal, unless you have guild groups waiting, and are in a rush.

sneakies

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
I've told several friends this, don't trust people who are "absolute certain". Trust the official websites. :) And yes, its only 1 hour. So not really a big deal, unless you have guild groups waiting, and are in a rush.

I wouldnt trust the official websites; or patch notes... they lie :)

Want proof? Read what it says about the stones dropped from dragons, then ask a GM if what the notes say is true... and ask them to give a definitive yes or no answer ;)

DavidH

Part of the furniture
sneakies said:

Want proof? Read what it says about the stones dropped from dragons, then ask a GM if what the notes say is true... and ask them to give a definitive yes or no answer ;)
I'd still say the official websites are the most trustworthy

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
sneakies said:

so what does it say about the stones dropped from dragons then?

Dardalion

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
so what does it say about the stones dropped from dragons then?

Hibs killed Dragon recently & only 25 skill stones dropped, when asked about the 25 RA stones GOA's reply was that the stones are not a guarenteed drop. Vaguelyworded patch notes seem to indicate otherwise :touch:

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
On clustering....

It mentioned that new players can only pick one realm (even tho excal+prydwen exist)

Existing players get this wait time if they want to swap realms, I assume as a new player to Hib/Excal if clustering was implemented tonight I would be stuck with just hte one realm, but If i now go and create a L1 toon on pryd/albion then when clustering comes in I'll have access to both realms ?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Tears said:
On clustering....

It mentioned that new players can only pick one realm (even tho excal+prydwen exist)

Existing players get this wait time if they want to swap realms, I assume as a new player to Hib/Excal if clustering was implemented tonight I would be stuck with just hte one realm, but If i now go and create a L1 toon on pryd/albion then when clustering comes in I'll have access to both realms ?

that's correct :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Dardalion said:
Hibs killed Dragon recently & only 25 skill stones dropped, when asked about the 25 RA stones GOA's reply was that the stones are not a guarenteed drop. Vaguelyworded patch notes seem to indicate otherwise :touch:

Think it's that there's no such thing as a guaranteed drop (remember reading that somewhere), just a 999999999999999 to 1 chance of it not dropping ;)

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
with regards to adverts, there are some. Not the sorta 'oh look new game aint it gr8' stuff but there are now reports on DAoC from time to time, and in PC Zone's steve hill even played DAoC on excal for a month with he name Chinglove, did a full page thing called 'neverQuest which is very funny.

Anyway they do actually cover DAoC from time to time (since they changed publishers?) but tbh its hard to advertise an old game, cant say new out on it. cant say latest this or that cos its all old. You cant even do what WoW does and have review scored on it cos when DAoC was released no1 cared about MMORPG's.

If u want adverts, play warcraft, id rather a good game.

Tho if u cant have either DAoC ftw :p

anyway roll on Dark and light and then Warhammer online (DAoC 2 anyone? oh yeh baby)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Margaret said:

Well, yes. Clustering will mean new players in the UK are only able to play in one realm, which completely sucks for them. Frankly we'd be much better off with Mythic taking over the UK servers at this rate; once again GOA's basic unfitness to have been given the DOAC franchise for the UK is clear.

GOA advertised DAOC in Germany and France, and many/most of their servers are not being clustered, since their populations are high enough that they don't need it. GOA have pretty obviously never given a damn about the UK, so they've never advertised it in any meaningful way in the UK, and hence our population is low because many gamers simply do not know about the game. It's that simple. Gamers in France and Germany are pretty much the same as gamers in the UK; the difference being that gamers in France and Germany got promotion for DAOC, and we didn't.

Clustering the UK servers is bandaging a wound GOA themselves have inflicted by their abject failure to make any effort to promote DAOC in the UK.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
@ Svartmetall, okey the can only choose one RvR server (kinda sucks yeah)
but look at the bright side, Camlann(pvp) the low pop will now porbely geat a boost and thats not all to bad is it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom