Clustering Prydwen and Excalibur (if so) = Kill the game?

Tiques

Fledgling Freddie
Now, not a normal sight on clustering like "It will be THE ZERG!!!!" and such, as I think a generally opt to the amouth of players in RvR will be benificial for all on Prydwen and Excalibur.

But I just read the grab-bag date 18th Febuary, 2005 [Grab Bag of No Particular Title], where she tells, that you can't create a character in a new realm in the clustering, if you have not done this BEFORE the clustering comes.

So, if you have NOTHING on Excalibur, you can only play the same realm as you do on prydwen and vice versa.

If you have something on both, you can't change to the third realm by deleting, that way, you just delete your option to 1 realm and will only be able to play what you have on the other server, so if I play Realm A on Pryd, and Realm B on Excal, and want to play realm C, I can't. If I tried to change on Pryd, I would be stuck with only realm B and if on Excal, I would be stuck with only realm A.

This will possibly never affect long-time players of the game, as they have established themselves on both servers and/or will go create the realm they would most want to try on the other server, before a possible clustering gets implanted.

Now, my worries is on new blood, which the game dont get much of already, will be very discouraged if they only can pick 1 realm, and have 2 realms of which they know absolutly nothing!

Or people who like me, like to just delete everything on the 2nd english server and play that realm for 1 month, then change back, and so on and so forth, just to play what I like to try.

I like Camlann, and know that it will not get Clustered, but dont like it all the time.

If a clustering comes, you would only be able to try the 3rd realm on Camlann, if you so desired, that wouldnt be an optimal condition, would it?

So I think clustering would be a surden doom of the servers, if tried implanted, it has almost all the same bad sides to it as a server merging for people who are not estrablished on both servers, which I think might in the long run kill the game..

Any other comments?

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
DOOM! DOOM! DOOOM!!!!!

ontopic.. its a lil funny innit? :) I mean, the irony ;)

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
Well i think it would kill the English side of things totally it wouldnt matter on the french and german servers as they got more than 2 realms + a lot more servers.

Tbh the 8 hour limit wont mean crap if you got 2 accounts you could log one in one side and one on the other and still crossrealm. Ok you can do it now but what would be the point.

With a clustered server if you had 2 guilds 1 on excal and 1 on prydwen who do you owe the most loyalty too ? you would be forced into picking a side and tbh if that happened i would just stop paying it wouldnt feel right being forced into that situation ok there would be more people rvring. But after a while people will still want to try out new realms or new classes and given that you cant with a clustered server without an 8 hour wait to play your main it would put a lot of people off rolling alts.

Either way i very much doubt they will cluster prydwen and excal as neither have a critically low popualtion. IE 40 people online at peak time :)

Jimmyjr

Fledgling Freddie
givf clustering, pry rvr sucks, hardly any action or cannot find anyone :/

Gamah

Banned
I think clustering would be a lot more benifical to players on prydwen than on excal and I see that the arguement will be between players who want it to happen (pry) and ones who dont (Excal).

Bloodhunter

Banned
OMFG!!!!!

TOA = KILLED THE GAME?
NF = KILLED THE GAME?
WOW = KILLED THE GAME?

all these threads been made and what, stfu about whats gonna kill the game allready!

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
the way pryd is going theres effectivly only going to be 1 english server anyway, and another one you can test you stuff on without having to worry about meeting other people

Helme

Resident Freddy
Just fix this retarded system of only restricted to certain realms and im all open for Prydwen+Excalibur merge!

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Jimmyjr said:
givf clustering, pry rvr sucks, hardly any action or cannot find anyone :/

maybe if ur a fg :|

try solo, i get loads of fights all the time, even duo, theres always a target to bomb xD

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not sure this is a great idea for those that play in prime time. Quite regularly you will see upto 1800-2000 on excal and 800-1000 on Pry. Put those togther and the current server limit is maxed out. What is the limit with a clustered server?

Are there any duplicate Character Names and Guilds Names on Pry and excal? If so how will these be resolved?

Basically I see it as a benefit to Pry only.

Night

Fledgling Freddie
I dont think you can have a character logged into 2 realms on same server, atleast you cant now.
They said characters from excal for example would be like Redknight of Excalibur
and Redknight of Prydwen etc to eliminate duplicate names...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Night said:
I dont think you can have a character logged into 2 realms on same server, atleast you cant now.
They said characters from excal for example would be like Redknight of Excalibur
and Redknight of Prydwen etc to eliminate duplicate names...

Thats good but what about server limits for zones? Any chance these could get overloaded during a Relic Raid.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Not sure this is a great idea for those that play in prime time. Quite regularly you will see upto 1800-2000 on excal and 800-1000 on Pry. Put those togther and the current server limit is maxed out. What is the limit with a clustered server?

Are there any duplicate Character Names and Guilds Names on Pry and excal? If so how will these be resolved?

Basically I see it as a benefit to Pry only.

Those were the pre-WoW numbers. Looking at daoc.darkzone.net the current peak for Pryd is c. 700 and c. 1200 on Excal. Neither server actually hit those numbers on Saturday either.

Anyway the last post I read on the matter was by Requiel I think along the lines of 'server numbers are constantly under review' so I reckon nothing will happen until a) after Catacombs b) GuildWars c) City Villains d) actual numbers post WoW are known - the biggest drop in population in the US was actually a month after WoW was launched.

I agree its probably of most benefit to Pryd. Would also say that not everyone will like the idea, and that it does nothing to resolve any population imbalances. (Duplicate character names though are resolved). My opinion though is that without it Pry is simply ging to wither on the vine and Excal is going to sinkinto a prolonged slumber.

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
gifv clustering, exc rvr sucks pretty much to
all i speak with who plays us says that clustering is the best thing that happened to daoc in a long time

FAO mods, gifv poll about clustering exc and pryd, or not.

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
i wont be first on herald if they do
that would suck.. so dont do it!!1 ^^

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
I am in favour of clustering so long as they change a few things, and I would both hope and assume that they won't use the same clustering rules as in the US. My main worry is actually about some of the bugs i've heard of, like house owners being able to withdraw cash from the consignment merchant in the same number house as theirs... on a different server.
:eek2:

Tiques

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodhunter said:
OMFG!!!!!

TOA = KILLED THE GAME?
NF = KILLED THE GAME?
WOW = KILLED THE GAME?

all these threads been made and what, stfu about whats gonna kill the game allready!

Please read the post or, to use your own words, STFU!

Helme said:
Just fix this retarded system of only restricted to certain realms and im all open for Prydwen+Excalibur merge!

The problem being, as far as experienced until now, such things can't be changed by GOA, as it is probarly hardcoded into the server/client, and thus cannot be altered by them and only Mythic and Mythic dont seem very eager to do such things for the EU...

Elendar said:
the way pryd is going theres effectivly only going to be 1 english server anyway, and another one you can test you stuff on without having to worry about meeting other people

Good point, maybe it will be the question about saving those on prydwen from rerolling, but I still think it would be very disappointing to only be able to play 1 realm (2 if you picked BEFORE clustering)

Void959 said:
I am in favour of clustering so long as they change a few things, and I would both hope and assume that they won't use the same clustering rules as in the US. My main worry is actually about some of the bugs i've heard of, like house owners being able to withdraw cash from the consignment merchant in the same number house as theirs... on a different server.
:eek2:

We are usually so lucky to get stuff without all the bugs from the US, think it have been so with every expansion except NF, and I think such a dramatic bug as being able to steal from others will be adressed before we get it, hopefully...

Tbh, it looks bad for Prydwen (atleast) atm, and I was just thinking, that even through that clustering would be good short-term, Im not to sure about it's influence character in the long-term, could end up being pretty bad..

If I started a new account on US now, I would have how many server choises accually? Used to be 18, but with all the clustering, how many are we down to?)

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodhunter said:
OMFG!!!!!

TOA = KILLED THE GAME?
NF = KILLED THE GAME?
WOW = KILLED THE GAME?

Aren't we a little aggressive today? Ever tried counting to 10 before you hit the button "Submit Reply"?

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Tiques said:
If I started a new account on US now, I would have how many server choises accually? Used to be 18, but with all the clustering, how many are we down to?)

Bed/Igraine/Tristan cluster
Galahad/Morgan
Iseult/Kay/Pellinor
Palomides/Gawaine/Bors
Percival/Nimue
Guinevere
Mordred
Lancelot
Merlin
and of course Gaheris

So 10 servers at the moment with Guin & Mordred looking a lot like Excal & Pryd. If numbers were the only consideration I am sure they would be merged but Guin is RP. Gaheris population is only peaking at 600 as well but it is co-op.

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
Mordred is also the US PvP, just for info purposes.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
I am all up for server clustering really.

Maybe for the english severs, it would be better to give everyone on
pryd who likes so a /char copy to excall ? and turn pryd into a sort of `test/roleplay/cooperative` server`

having one healthy server and one test server sounds better than having one struggling and one dead server.

just my 5 cents.

Minau

Loyal Freddie
Rather have 1 proper server then 1 dead and 1 half dead.

EDIT: oh yeah, and close down ToA for PvP on Camlann
will get peeps back into the classic zones (more fun) and
will be easier to get ur toon kited out faster.

Merrilow

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't GoA have to come up with totally different code to cluster? They've got their own servers not mythic ones.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Merrilow said:
Wouldn't GoA have to come up with totally different code to cluster? They've got their own servers not mythic ones.

proberly true.. we will just have to wait and see what they do.. or are plannaing todo :E

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
choice of one server/realm to play on would be horrible, clustering pryd/excal would be a terrible idea unless the population of pryd dropped to under 200 primetime :p

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
clustering pryd/excal would be a terrible idea unless the population of pryd dropped to under 200 primetime :p

well pryd got like 700ppl online and some ppl dont have enough RvR action so dont u think they better cluster with exc ? :p

Gamah

Banned
Actully rvr over here is pretty good atm...not as zergy as excal can get ;p but sometimes Zergy enough for our icckle fg to farm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom