Classic game: Transport Tycoon

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I don't know if anybody remembers the old DOS classic "Transport Tycoon", but those who liked that game will love "Open TTD". Bigger maps, new pathfinding AI and other new features.

OpenTTD

To play the game, you need some of the original files, but in case you don't have them at home, it should be rather easy to get hold of them. There are builds for Linux/MacOS/Windows and of course the src for those who need something else ;)

Yes, the game is old and simple, but it helps me survive university :p

Ah yes, the multiplayer mode works fine, with the option to have multiple players join one enterprise (which is rather cool, if you ask me).

Here is the copy+paste from the "about" site, just to show some of the really cool features:

Significant enhancements from the original game include for example:

- bigger maps (up to 64 times in size)
- stable multiplayer mode for up to 11 players in 8 companies or as spectators
- dedicated server mode and an in-game console for administration
- new pathfinding algorithms that makes vehicles go where you want them to
- autorail/-road build tool, improved terraforming
- canals, shiplifts, aqueduct
- larger, non-uniform stations and the ability to join them together
- mammoth and multi-headed trains
- clone, autoreplace and autoupdate vehicles
- possibility to build on slopes and coasts
- advanced/conditional orders, share and copy orders
- longer and higher bridges including new ones, full flexible tracks/roads under bridge
-reworked airport system with many more airports/heliports (i.e. international and metropolitan)
- presignals, semaphores, path based signalling
- support for TTDPatch newgrf features
- drive-through road stops for articulated road vehicles and trams
- multiple trees on one tile
- bribe the town authority
- many configuration settings to tune the game to your liking
- save games with zlib compression for smaller sizes which does not interrupt gameplay
- big support for internationalisation. OpenTTD is already translated into more than 40 languages
- dynamically created town-names in 18 languages and newgrf support

Lots of effort has been put into giving OpenTTD a better usability. These include:

- convert rail tool (to e-rail, monorail, and maglev)
- drag&drop support for almost all tools (demolition, road/rail building/removing, stations, scenario editor...)
- sorting of most lists based on various criteria (vehicle, station, town, industries, etc.)
- mouse wheel support (scroll menus, zoom in/out)
- autoscroll when the mouse is near the edge of the screen/window
- sell whole train by dragging it to the dynamite trashcan
- cost estimation with the 'shift' key
- advanced options configuration window, change settings from within the game

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
Uhhhhhhh..............

I'm gonna have to check this out, I LOVED Transport Tycoon.

Have a rep mate :power:

Uara

Part of the furniture
Yeah Transport tycoon was bloody awesome!! I too may have to check this out when I go home :D

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Great game, still find myself humming the jazz music from it from time to time.

Might have to check it out, although i'm currently in the process of playing baldurs gate tutu mod :p

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I always seemed to cock up my rail system and suddenly get headlines of 5 train pile ups somewhere in the middle of my city

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Along the same lines, you can buy Railroad Tycoon 2 from Steam for $5 =) Or is that a transport sim too far?

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
the best bit was making roads then demolishing them so your rivals trucks went in circles forever and bankrupted them!

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I always seemed to cock up my rail system and suddenly get headlines of 5 train pile ups somewhere in the middle of my city

Shouldn't happen anymore with Open TTD tbh =)

the best bit was making roads then demolishing them so your rivals trucks went in circles forever and bankrupted them!

Ohhh yes, that absolutely rocks =) Or make a short line of rails and crash enemy vehicles with a long train ^^

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Has anyone started playing on another setting than normal grass land? For some reason I don't like snow or desert (let alone candy …), even though the idea of a new setting is pretty cool =)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Has anyone started playing on another setting than normal grass land? For some reason I don't like snow or desert (let alone candy …), even though the idea of a new setting is pretty cool =)

I always only played grassland when i played :p Hated candyland

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I always only played grassland when i played :p Hated candyland

I'd love to try out Snow, but it's so full of hills and that means a LOT of levelling =)

My other problem is, that I have to relearn the industry. On grassland I look at the map and I see what's going on =)

Best thing is to redo the whole infrastructure when you got millions and just do tons of tunnels and levelling ^^ Totally LOVE that =)

EDIT: If you need the files, I can *pst pst* supply them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom