Clan Site options

W

Will

Maybe this points me out as a nob, maybe not, but I've put together a few clan websites using postnuke, and I was wondering if anyone else had used any other PHP/MySQL content management systems to such an effect, and what they thought of them.

Postnuke is giving me a bit of hassle with themes, and I spend a while just disabling most of its features. Even after all that, some browsers tend to display its output wrongly.

So suggestions for alternatives below please.;)

W

Will

http://www.mamboserver.com/

Looks OK, not really suited to a clan site, since I can't be bothered writing addons to make a calendar.

I found a great PHP system in Google yesterday, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. Had lots of nice themes and stuff.*sighs*

J

Jonty

Just a side note, really, that someone ought to create a content management system specifically for clans. No small task, I know, but it certainly would be very popular. Just one other thing for future reference, at http://www.hotscripts.com they're PHP scripts section has a whole category of Content Management Systems (209 if we're being precise), at least some of which ought to be of use.

Kind regards and merry Christmas

W

Will

Cheers, I've had a look in there, but they all just seemed to be "postnuke rebadged", rather than actual clan sites.

That link above seems pretty straight-forwards, and I have a few other clan scripts. I'll test them out and report back.;)

S

Shocko

One of my self-set projects to over newyear or so, is a content management system... It will specifically be for homepage(even more specifically, for my homepage :)), but i'll post here if i ever come up with something.

My main idea, is not to use dynamic pages. Instead, things such as news will be created by the administritive code, as static html. Of course you'd need some dynamic pages, such as archived news, and i'd keep all data stored in a database, so that you don't mess around with files... For pages that aren't going to be updated everyday, it's a more cpu-efficient design, and allows you to seperate code from content, more easily. Well, it looked better in my head yesterday :)

M

Mr. 47

i to am makeing a content managment system for my site...

its takeing ages as i'm learning MySQL as i go...

also got a bit stuck on the gallery

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Shocko

My main idea, is not to use dynamic pages. Instead, things such as news will be created by the administritive code, as static html. Of course you'd need some dynamic pages, such as archived news, and i'd keep all data stored in a database, so that you don't mess around with files... For pages that aren't going to be updated everyday, it's a more cpu-efficient design, and allows you to seperate code from content, more easily. Well, it looked better in my head yesterday :)

reduces per-serve load at the cost of per-update load... sound enough technique.

separating code from content is just as easy either way though :)

PS. Mr. 47 - your sig - the pappo is always beaten! '==' not '=' (unless it's perl in which case it's eq... or does php only have = for testing equality? or are you using java even (that supports $ for vars)) but anyway </pedant>

M

Mr. 47

when ever i've used PHP if structures the single = has always worked for me...

S

Shocko

It shouldn't do :) Are you sure you just haven't always used it in times when the condition will always be true? Oh well, perhaps it's a quirk of php or something :)

M

Mr. 47

prhaps its because its in a conditional statment??? who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom