Civilization on the Amiga

M

Maljonic

Does anyone remember playing this, and did it have all seven wonders of the ancient world in it?

The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Lighthouse of Alexandria

C

.Cask

From memory the wonders in Civ 1 were:

Pyramids
Hanging Gardens
Colossus
Lighthouse

And they must have changed them a bit because the other 3 were:

Great Library
Oracle at Delphi (I think)
Great Wall of China

N

Neural Network

One of my game names is directly related to that game. I wanted my name to be: Joe Dalton, but that was too long so it became Joe Daltn. So I press delete and end up with Joen. Used that name a couple of times and changed it again last year to Jowen Datloran.
I had an original version of Civ to the Amiga with a great manual with tech-tree and all. And yes, the seven wonders were all there, although I think Mausoleum were replaced with the Great Libary.

EDIT: .Cask is spot on

C

.Cask

Actually i've got a feeling that Great Library wasn't in the list and instead it was an aqueduct which was a wonder before they implemented it as a basic city upgrade.

Might be bollocks though.

N

Neural Network

He, the aqueduct. Even in space age you needed an aqueduct to let your city grow larger than 7.

T

Tenko

Ah well the aqueduct, like the collaseum have a modern day equivalent, Water mains :)

M

Maljonic

It's true, my bathroom is the size of a colloseum.

W

Will

I played the original Civ on my first ever computer, a Mac LCII. Piece of crap, but I still love it.

D

Durzel

All I remember about Civilisation on the Atari ST (which, incidentally, was better than the Amiga :p) was that - being a Microprose game - the manual was colossal. As was the box.

Ahhh those were the days.. when you bought a Microprose game you actually felt like you were buying something. The box was big, the manual was always immense (I'm still reading the Gunship manual and I haven't used my Atari ST for 7 years)... lovely.

Nowadays the boxes are huge (Borland C++ Builder box is the size of a small terrace property) and the manuals are typically two sides of A5.

M

Maljonic

I do miss the days of printed manuals; much better than help files and what not.

W

Will

Neverwinter Nights came with a fairly impressive manual and box. Brought a tear to my eye.;)

I

Insane

Originally posted by Will
Neverwinter Nights came with a fairly impressive manual and box. Brought a tear to my eye.;)

wasn't that when you dropped it on your foot? :p

why do flight sims feel obliged to fill most of their manuals on advanced aeronautical physics lessons? just give me something to wiggle and im happy!* :D

*any rude remarks obtained from this quote is not my problem.

M

Maljonic

I think it's because they want the users to feel like real pilots; half of them are convinced they could fly a real 747, I know I am.

E

ECA

Loved civ 1.

The best bit was you could edit the intro text file and make it whatever you liked \o/

Cue lots of rude edits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom