City of Heroes

Belsameth

Tainted
I was wondering who else is planning to play this gem of a game (www.coh.com) and if there was interest in a Freddyshouse band of spandax clad heroes....(I can just picture the horrid green uniform :p )

Sigurd

Banned
Thought this had been and gone :eek6:

Anyway, in my personal opinion... MMORPGs only really work in a fantasy setting (although historical would be interesting, if anyone would do it) by fantasy I mean swords and sorcery, dungeons and dragons etc... sci-fi just don't crack it, as shooting a gun can only feel remotely realistic in a shoot-em up. Planetside just seemed to lack... well anything really. This one may be more of a mixture of both, but still... I personally won't be expecting great things of it. Warhammer Online does however look great, I think it'll be competing with WoW and DAoC as best MMORPG in the forseeable future.

Belsameth

Tainted
a minor bump :)

and ignore Sigurds rambling about mmog's only working in a fantasy setting...that's plain rubbish...(no offense Sigurd....I think :p )

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
i some how agree with sig.. although would like to try it out might be fun:>

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I am quite tempted to try it out when its released. Looking forward to Warhammer more though.

Cyfr

Banned
Planetside worked well and I still play it :).
Oh and ardrias is of poo.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Warhammer! Warhammer! Warhammer! Warhammer!

gah....better be good after all that spamming :(

Couldn't check out that link atm tho...slow connection or whatever :/ I wanna see it!

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
Nobody seems to quite match your enthusiasm Bels...

I might be willing to give it a go, but I hardly have time for MMOG's these days.

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Sarum said:
Nobody seems to quite match your enthusiasm Bels...

I might be willing to give it a go, but I hardly have time for MMOG's these days.
As far as I know Trog, Sissy and myself, possibly sharma(?) are all definitely playing (as well as bels of course). I might be wrong though.

Bels which company did you pre-order from?

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Urr...pre-order? As far as I could tell it wasn't even in beta yet. :/

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Ahh...didn't see that bit. Actually, didn't see most of the bits. I'm too consumed with the thought of adding myself to the 100,000,000 Wolverine clones that will be running around. :|

I wonder if I can dress up as a pirate?

"Up there!! Its...its...the amazing Captain Sissyfoo!! We're dooooooooomed!!"

Mmmm...been fantacyz...fantitz...err, dreaming about people screaming this all day! :D

...until I read we can only be good guys. :mad:

Belsameth

Tainted
but good guys can be evil in their doo-goodie ways as well ;)
(spawn, Cloak and Dagger)

go on, you know you want to!

BI: I pre-ordered from Outpost, but they're currently out of stock (for the pre-order cd, and beta invite key thingie)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
BlitheringIdiot said:
As far as I know Trog, Sissy and myself, possibly sharma(?) are all definitely playing (as well as bels of course). I might be wrong though.
Meh if you want me to ill buy it and come be the gimpiest one of you all! mwahahha! :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The more I read about it the more I want to play, it looks like it could be a damn good laugh which is something DAoC lost not long into retail.

Belsameth

Tainted
That's exactly what I thought too.
especially early on, when everything is still new for most.
plus it seems totally different from any other mmog out there and in developement, which also helps heaps...

Sharma: that's settled then :D

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
It might be somthing I pickup one day if I have some loose cash and want a little fun, but I really can't see myself playing it in the same way I play DAoC. Probably because of the whole 'super-hero' idea actually, its got to take away some of the fun when there are X other super hero's with exactly the same powerset as you, as even less when there are XX other super heros. Could you imagine the arguments?

Super-Bloke: foadirl noob, i'm camping Dr. Squids hideout today
Kitten-Girl: stfu dick, I was here first!!
<Super-Bloke picks up a lamp-post and wtfpwns Kitten-Gil>
<Kitten-Girl uses super agility to evade and kicks Super-Bloke>
Destructoconitonimegasuperhyper-d00d: 0|< N00BS F0 T1M3 F0R M3 T0 PWN!
Super-Bloke: FO MY CAMPED HQ FFS!!!!!!
Kitten-Girl: NO MINE DICK!!!!!
Super-Bloke: GONNA GET YOUR ACCOUNT BANNED BITCH, REPORTING YOU
Kitten-Girl: NO I'M REPORTING YOU!!!!!!
Super-Bloke: NO I'M REPORTING YOU!!!!!
Super-Bloke: gtg my mums calling
Kitten-Girl: mine too, we'll meet again noob!
Super-Bloke: foadirl!
Kitten-Girl: NO YOU!
Super-Bloke: NO YOU!!
Kitten-Girl: YOU!
Super-BLoke: YOU!

...you know now that I think about it, it might actually be worth playiing :D

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I can see the only difference between CoH and DAoC is that there is no Dr. Squid in the Dark Ages...yet. :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Sissyfoo said:
As far as I can see the only difference between CoH and DAoC is that there is no Dr. Squid in the Dark Ages...yet. :p

We have squid in ToA, only a matter of time before one of them graduates from University and becomes a doctor... :D

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
We have squid in ToA, only a matter of time before one of them graduates from University and becomes a doctor... :D

Ahhh... but will he be evil (and more to the point, go ph4rm DF for enough cash to buy a lair?) ;)

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I'm in the beta! :D

The game really, really, rocks - It'll be getting preordered the second I can find some spare cash.

Belsameth

Tainted
actually they removed all forms of camps in the game, also the powers and archetypes are so loose it's highly unlikely you'll ever meet 2 exactly the same hero's. both in looks and in powers

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Since you can really pick and choose with your primary and secondary powersets, and you have a huge range to choose from in the common pool set, it is hard to have two people exactly the same, although at this moment there are a few 'cookie cutter' templates.

Oh, and CoH features the best character creation system I have seen - ever.

The game feels very free - You can wonder the streets, zapping the thugs who seem to always be mugging someone, or accept a mission and go trawl through a warehouse somewhere.

The teaming system rocks. It's quick, easy, and fun :D

FFXI can bugger off. I have a new plaything.

Cyfr

Banned
tRoG - are they only picking people who signed up to the forums before Nov 2003, for beta?

If they are picking new members too, do I just need to register or fill out a beta aplication of somesort too? (can't find anything like that on the site :eek:)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:
actually they removed all forms of camps in the game

So its possible for a lvl 40 villain to pop in an area where lowbies are or do you mean its similar to how FFXI is, where the mobs who spawn is dependent per zone, but not so much bound to a location as in DAoC. Anyway in FFXI people can still camp mobs (atleast named ones and if with several groups its possible to make a part of a zone overcamped).
So unless CoH doesnt have any kind of rare spawn villain, makes the rare spawn villain spawn over a really large area or doesnt make it worth spending the time needed to find him and claim+kill him before someone else does it, than I do think there will be camping of mobs.

Belsameth

Tainted
As far as I can tell it, the high level encounters aren't actual camps but missions requiring a group or even guild to complete, so there won't really be Sidi like dungeons...tho there are very high level "Trial" zones

Cyfr: sorry, betá is only for those that registered before Nov. 2003

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom