City of Heroes!

Himse

FH is my second home
Anyone playing this? Thinking about buying it to try something different!

Good & Bad points on the game?

Thanks

Kinag

Part of the furniture
I played it for some time, grew bored of it however, was the same thing all over again throughout the levels.

I never got really high, but I got to try the different travel powers, like Super Speed, Flight and such, Superspeed was the fastest by far.

There's some fun moments to be had, but also alot of dull ones.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Gamah said:
Very repetative and dull.

and grinding in MMOs is never repetative or dull...

its not a bad game, its mostly instanced tho at high lvl, rather than zones, but is all quest based.
fun in short bursts :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
Like most people say it is very repetative almost everything involves going into a cave/sewer/building and killing x number of bad guys.

Character creation is the best out there but the gameplay sucks to be fair.

It is a good game for about a month after that you will get bored.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
people summed it up perfectly, it's repetative and boring..

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Himse said:
Anyone playing this? Thinking about buying it to try something different!

Good & Bad points on the game?

Thanks

City of Villains is more fun, imho anyways. They're both very much the same but they've done a lot of work with the game over the years and have added lots of variety to the missions.

There's also now PvP in specific zones, which can be fun because that also includes mission based objectives. There's also the arenas, where you can fight either your own side or, in the Pocket D Nightclub, people from the other side.

The super powers are ace and I resub every so often just to go flying around because there's nothing I've come across that is as much fun as that, or super jumping around a zone.

There's badge collecting to do, if you like that kind of thing, and there's all sorts of places to explore and, as has been said already, the character creation is the best there is.

It's a lot of fun in short bursts of a couple of months at a time.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
its ok at first, but you will realise how dull it is very quickly

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Kinag said:
I never got really high, but I got to try the different travel powers, like Super Speed, Flight and such, Superspeed was the fastest by far.
Superjump >>>>>>>>>>>> superspeed.

As most people have said it's quite repetitive and boring. You have to look for the small things to make it fun. I played CoV together with a few friends, and the company made up for the repetitive fact. I do miss it a bit now and I'd like to play it again. I don't think the ones I played it with does though, and it'd be boring alone. :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Cadiva said:
There's also now PvP in specific zones, which can be fun because that also includes mission based objectives. There's also the arenas, where you can fight either your own side or, in the Pocket D Nightclub, people from the other side.

no, no no no no no! pvp in CoX is not fun, ever. no, not ever!

the fact that u cant MOVE when u fight makes ut pure shit. and only "fun" if ur a stalker that can 2 hit anything bar a tanker in granite armor or a regen scrapper thats just not killable 1v1 or 2v1 or even 5v1 if the scrapper have anything close to a brain about his class.

the only "fun" in the pvp zones is to stay away from the easymode wankers and piss them off coz they cant reach you. oh and fucking up their duels :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Not tried heroes but i have got city of villains :) its fun i guess... however it does get boring rather fast :/

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's a snack MMO.

You should never play it like you play other massives.Get the rush to be a superhero, play a while, beat baddies(or goodies *grin*) and then return to your grindfest massives.

It's fun, you get to enter a superhero world, but like every superhero, you gotta sexor lois lane as clark kent every now and then.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:
It's fun, you get to enter a superhero world, but like every superhero, you gotta sexor lois lane as clark kent every now and then.

Quote of the year! :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Eva said:
Superjump >>>>>>>>>>>> superspeed.

nope, 5 slotted superspeed owns 5 slotted superjump so badly u cant even compare them :)

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Ctuchik said:
no, no no no no no! pvp in CoX is not fun, ever. no, not ever!

the fact that u cant MOVE when u fight makes ut pure shit. and only "fun" if ur a stalker that can 2 hit anything bar a tanker in granite armor or a regen scrapper thats just not killable 1v1 or 2v1 or even 5v1 if the scrapper have anything close to a brain about his class.

the only "fun" in the pvp zones is to stay away from the easymode wankers and piss them off coz they cant reach you. oh and fucking up their duels :)

Speak for yourself :) I've had loads of fun on my blaster in the PvP zones and on my scrapper and on my new corrupter.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Cadiva said:
Speak for yourself :) I've had loads of fun on my blaster in the PvP zones and on my scrapper and on my new corrupter.

wish i could say that about my merc/dark mastermind :( all the ppl i even have a remote chance at killing just run coz they are scared of being webbed :/

and those that isnt just plainly stomp me to the core of the earth :(

/edit: man ive been playing this game since release (CoH first then CoV) and my highest toon is only 31 :(

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Ctuchik said:
nope, 5 slotted superspeed owns 5 slotted superjump so badly u cant even compare them :)
Heh, then we come to the fact that it's capped with 3 single orients, almost capped with 2. I didn't slot my Siphon Speed or my super jump thing(can't remember the name), but super jump owned siphon speed, mostly for the fact that you didn't need to be on the ground and could jump wherever you needed. Also, if you got enough slots to slot your travel powers with 5 slots you're doing something wrong. :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Eva said:
Heh, then we come to the fact that it's capped with 3 single orients, almost capped with 2. I didn't slot my Siphon Speed or my super jump thing(can't remember the name), but super jump owned siphon speed, mostly for the fact that you didn't need to be on the ground and could jump wherever you needed. Also, if you got enough slots to slot your travel powers with 5 slots you're doing something wrong. :)

nah, they aint capped. but the last slot would only give ya some 5% extra value :)

and i never said i 5 slotted my travelpower ;) i just said u were wrong that SJ is faster then SS if u slot them. slotted SJ just make u jump higher, slotted SS makes u run faster ;)

but if ur after usefullness only then flight owns all.

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Ctuchik said:
nah, they aint capped. but the last slot would only give ya some 5% extra value

and i never said i 5 slotted my travelpower i just said u were wrong that SJ is faster then SS if u slot them. slotted SJ just make u jump higher, slotted SS makes u run faster

Yeah, silly me. Looking back at what I quoted and you said it was the fastest, not the best. Oh well. :p

Flying is useful, but it's incredible slow. SJ is nearly as fast as SS(it's just as fast if it's not slotted, but you get 1 slot free so meh. :p) and far more usefull for the fact that you can reach high places without having to use a temporary power, while still being very fast when you necessarily don't need to reach a high place. But I guess it all comes down to what you prefer. I know for sure I prefer SJ. ;)

PS: Had to remove your smileys in the quote, stupid limit. :<

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Ctuchik said:

Now we are in perfect agreement :) I absolutely love flight. There's nothing quite as much fun as just flying around doing nothing useful whatsoever but having a laugh swooping up and down.

Delket

One of Freddy's beloved
To add something worthwhile, its a game that is as fun as you want to make it. If your looking for mad amounts of unique content you wont get it, if your looking however for a challenge, either solo or preferably in a group youll find it. And if you put the effort in to squeeze through the repetitive bits there is a satisfying amount of different content.

The Mastermind class is simply the best class in any mmo for downright nutty fun, no doubt there and the mayhem missions with their blow everything up physics are insane fun, and damn hard if your playing with a team on hard difficulty.

id say give it a shot, but do try CoV instead of CoH, if you can get some friends with you (2+) its definately worth your money for the sheer fun youll have even before you notice its repetitive side. If your a bit of a grinding junky though steer clear.

Helps if you can appreciate the storylines too, theyre quite good.

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Delket said:
Helps if you can appreciate the storylines too, theyre quite good.
I didn't pay attention to them much, but the company made up for it. <3

I did LOVE the guy we were at in the end though, the pure evil one. Can't remember exactly what the missions were about, but they were so evil in a silly way. :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Eva said:
I did LOVE the guy we were at in the end though, the pure evil one. Can't remember exactly what the missions were about, but they were so evil in a silly way. :D

wasent there some arch villain in CoH called "teh pwnz0r0r" or something silly? :)

only fought him once but i remember almost pissing my pants reading the name :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We had a funny guy in our group once. Or "SUPERGROOOOOOOOUP!" as it is.

HE was a small guy, skinny as hell, but...he had maxorpwnzored his punch into ridicilous heights.

Don't know how many +123423582835826538 thingies he got in his knockback but when he hit a guy, we had to wait, oh say 5 minutes for the mob to run back :D

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
All the old stuff in this game is now free.
massively.com said:
Brian Clayton on the City of Heroes Freedom launch

by Eliot Lefebvre on Sep 28th 2011 8:30PM

Super-hero, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Business models, Interviews, Launches, News items, Free-to-play

City of Heroes has launched its free-to-play hybrid model at long last, and all that remains for players to do is enjoy all of the options that City of Heroes Freedom provides. Well, and possibly wonder what the game's development schedule will look like from here on out, maybe ask a few questions about the pricing in the store, debate which player options have the most value, and so forth. Come to think of it, there are a lot of things to still be done.

We had the opportunity to ask a few questions of executive producer Brian Clayton about what's going on behind the scenes of City of Heroes Freedom. Jump on past the break for a postmortem of the launch, discussions of what's to come in the store from here on out, and more information about what VIPs can expect from future updates.[/url]

coh-claytonlaunch-1-epl-928.jpg
Massively: How satisfied has the team been thus far with the early start? Are there any major issues that have cropped up behind the scenes?

Brian Clayton: All of us at the studio are proud to finally be able to share City of Heroes Freedom with all of our players. We knew this would be our biggest undertaking ever, and thanks to a rigorous beta program, as well as our recently concluded VIP Headstart, I'm happy to say that so far we've been able to deal with every major issue as soon as we got wind of it. As we open the doors to all free players, I expect we'll uncover a few more issues, but our development, publishing, and operations teams will be working around the clock to be sure we swiftly address any new problems and ensure the best experience possible for our players.

A lot of players noticed an extra 400 points in their VIP allotment -- was this intentional?

Yes, it was a way for us to thank all of our loyal players for their dedication and support. Everyone who had an active account when we started the VIP Headstart on 9/13 received an extra 400 Paragon Points as thanks from the dev team. Players will receive their next 400 Points on their respective billing dates in October.

How fixed are the prices in the store? Some items, such as consumables, seem a little high for what they do -- will these be adjusted in the future?

The prices you see in the store are based on our own analysis, feedback from our players, and also what we've seen in the industry. Right now, most prices are at a level we're comfortable with, but that doesn't mean there won't be updates later on. Additionally, every week at least one item is on sale, so if that XP Booster you wanted seems a little out of your reach this week, you might find that it'll be on sale soon.

How regular will the sales events be? Are there any items that are never meant to be placed on sale?

There will be at least one sale or promotion every week or two, and a new item in the store every week as well. We're still evaluating the Paragon Market, so I think it's too soon to make any definitive statements on what we might or might not offer.

coh-claytonlaunch-2-epl-928.jpg
Several things can be unlocked via veteran's perks or bought in the store, but there are other features only unlocked via perks. Will those items eventually be added to the store?

It depends. There are some rewards we want to keep as unlockables in game. These are rewards that players have earned, and they should enjoy the prestige of having unlocked them. On the other hand, there are some quality-of-life convenience unlocks players have asked for, such as global unlocks for Capes/Auras. So it's a matter of balancing the in-game benefits versus the convenience factor.

Any idea on the timeframe players will have for acquiring the Tier 9 celestial pieces?

We'll be announcing more details about the Tier 9 costume sets soon. We want to make sure that we give our players enough time to earn those costume pieces, but we also want to make sure they can enjoy the exclusivity.

Currently it can be a bit hard to see what new costume sets have been added. Are there plans to change any of this?

If you're asking about new Costume Sets (such as the Barbarian or Circle of Thorns Costume Sets), every time a new Costume Set is introduced to the store, we announce it through our website and Facebook fan page. New sets are also on the front page of the NCsoft Launcher. What's great is that when we introduce a new Costume Set, you can preview it from the Character Creator or at the Tailor, which is a great new feature since we have millions of costume combinations. But having said all of that, we are working to improve the presentation of the "New" section on the Paragon Market home page so that it's more useful to the players.

We know a couple of items that have been held back from release, such as Titan Weapons and Street Justice -- are there more on the way?

All I can tell you is stay tuned just a bit longer. We've got a lot of great things coming this year, and even more coming next year.

coh-claytonlaunch-3-epl-928.jpg
Players have been a bit unhappy about being locked at 20 for the Signature Arc -- will this change in the future?

To clarify, we allow characters from level 10 to 50 to join our Signature Story Arcs, and we use our Exemplaring system to auto-adjust their levels to match the level range of the actual missions. We want to tell an epic story, a story with a sense of growth and progression, and because the Signature Story Arcs are episodic in nature, each arc continues the plot and raises the stakes. Part 1 is meant for players up to level 20, while part 2 is meant for players up to level 30. And as the levels get higher, the challenges also rise. But like I said, the cool thing is that any character of any level can partake in all of it.

What will the balance be in the future for VIPs receiving free content from the store? Obviously they won't get everything for free with the 400 points each month, but were the costumes and Temporal Manipulation a one-time gift?

VIP Players are going to continue to receive free content with every issue. With Issue 21, it was the Time Manipulation Power Set, Defense and IDF Costume Sets, access to First Ward Missions, and access to the Going Rogue Content. So we've set a pretty high bar for ourselves for Issue 22 and beyond, and we plan to exceed it.

We'd like to thank Mr. Clayton for taking the time to answer our questions.

Tags: brian-clayton, business-model-launch, business-models, cash-shop, cash-store, city-of-heroes, city-of-heroes-freedom, city-of-villains, coh, cov, cox, f2p, featured, free-to-play, freedom-launch, interview, interviews, launch, microtransactions, model-launch, ncsoft, paragon, paragon-studios, patches, pricing, store, updates

traffic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom