Cisco CCNA Course

gmloki

Part of the furniture
I was considering doing a Cisco CCNA course to develop my understanding of networks and how they work.

Has anyone done one ? What are your experiences of this course ? Can anyone recommend a better course for this ?

What was the costs ?

ty

Clown

Part of the furniture
I was on the dole for 6 months and they put me on the New Deal scheme.
I was getting paid £150 quid a week (3 days work placement) and did the CCNA and A+ course on the other 2 days. Unemployed people have it good, as usually it costs 4 figures to take the CCNA.

If you just want to understand networks and how they work, fine. But don't expect to get a job from just a CCNA. There are various 'semesters' you have to sit , each with about 15 modules to pass. These were stupidly easy and I got bored and got a real job.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Ash said:
I was considering doing a Cisco CCNA course to develop my understanding of networks and how they work.

Has anyone done one ? What are your experiences of this course ? Can anyone recommend a better course for this ?

What was the costs ?

ty

Will is doing something like this. Send him a PM, or he'll answer here once he gets around to it.

once apon a time I was an MCSE+i. I'd say nah, not worth it, but that was in the days of nt4 networks with w95 clients. today....I just don't know.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
dont think the ccna is as much of a job getter as a ccnp

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i did it at school, cost tehm loads, me nowt :D

found it interesting at first, then abit boring :(

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
In my expiriance certs without any field expiriance dont count for much.
If a comp gets to choose between sameone with a cert and sameone with a referance and some field expiriance they will take the latter and maybe send him on a express course.
Ofcourse if you are up against a canidate with no real expiriance and no cert, you stand a better chance

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
The CCNA will get you a job around 20-25k if you're lucky. You also have to be into really boring topics like network protocols. You dont even need to take the course either, just pay the exam fee, providing you're good at self study.

However you have to retake the CCNA exam again every 3 years to keep your certification. If you dont, Cisco will take it away from you. Because they are strange

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Mellow said:
The CCNA will get you a job around 20-25k if you're lucky. You also have to be into really boring topics like network protocols. You dont even need to take the course either, just pay the exam fee, providing you're good at self study.

However you have to retake the CCNA exam again every 3 years to keep your certification. If you dont, Cisco will take it away from you. Because they are strange

Yeah. Redo every 3 years sucks the big one.

But it's a good course that will give you a thorough grounding in network protocols and structures (with a cisco slant of course) and will give you some hands-on experience at configuring routers and switches.

Scouse, CCNA :)

And to whoever said CCNP is a better job-getter, well DUH! It's the next course up - so of course it is.

You can't beat a bit of real-world experience tho.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
ha ha you know what i mean lol

people with ccna's are everywhere lol its like advertised in nearly ever shitty paper in the country lol, every time i read the recruitment sections i see " earn 1k a week!, become a CCNA cisco engineer"

I know personally my place dont recruit anyone with less than a ccnp and at least 3 years xp and thats for about 35k kinda wage

Like has been said before, its more about experience than the actual course as having a CCNA on its own wont make you stand out, what you should aim to do is try and do some voluntary work for a company (you'd be surprised how often this works) and basically work for free with them for a few hours a week watchin and learning from their engineers, even this kinda thign on your cv would stand you out from others

Also you could maybe look into the various "on the job" cisco courses you can do which involve placements for fixed terms into the industry, these are invaluable, without my placement as part of my course i would never have been able to get my first real job

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom