Rant Cinemas

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What the fucking shit? And they wonder why movie piracy is so high?

£22 on tickets (2 adults and a 5 year old)
£15 on pick and mix
£2.50 on a bottle of pop
£2.00 to park there

Fucking rip off. The picture quality wasn't that great either, black crackles every now and again etc.

I must admit I quite enjoyed Toy story 3 though.

Torrent or blue ray in future I think.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
used to work at a cinema, you get payed fuck all, and yet they make massive profits on everything.

Marc

FH is my second home
I must admit, id rather watch a film at the cinema than on DVD, but I hear what you are saying.

At our local cinema, security is terrible and the kids could just walk right in if they wanted to. In fact the eldest does that with her mates and all this time she has been pocketing the money I give her lol. But I cant do that when we go as a family, because I like to pay my way, so once ive paid for the family ticket, drinks, Ben & Jerries etc, you are looking at £50. Close to a hundred if we go to pizza hut across the road first. We tend to go at least once a week as a family too. No wonder im always skint lol

Lethul

FH is my second home
I'm a cheap bastard, student discount + I bring candy/coke from the store instead :p Much tastier too!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
£15 on pick & mix?! Fuck that. Get stuff from a garage / Tesco beforehand.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Tesco for munchies, crammed into an unfeasibly small handbag.
It's like Pratchett's "Luggage" when you open it up... it seems like more sweets are coming out than you should have. :)

Having a friend who uses staff haxx to get free entry helps as well.
For example, I took my eldest and her bff to see Eclipse a few months ago. I was queuing up when my mate saw me. He went to the manager behind the kiosk, pointed me out and got me 3 compo tickets. :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
None of the cinemas here stop you taking your own food and drink in.

Lots of ways to get cheaper cinema, monthly passes, going to day time showings.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, it was a last minute thing, my niece apparently remembered that I had promised to take her (I was drunk at the time)

Even the ticket prices are insane though, you can buy it blueray for far less than that and then you don't have to put up with all the mongs making noise.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Our one has beer on sale now!

I love the cinema, we dont buy shit like popcorn or nachos, i book online and tickets are about £8.00 each (ish) as long as you dont get the VIP seats (rip off) and dont watch films in 3D that were never made to be (another rip off)

Go see the Lego kids AM films, all the tickets are £.95p each

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I rarely go to the cinema anymore if I can help it. The price is just about ok £7.70 but you can buy a DVD for that. It wouldn't be so bad if other people weren't there. Always prefer to watch a movie at home. Haven't got a big screen only 32" but my surround sound makes up for it and the best part is you don't have annoying people behind you ruffling through popcorn or slurping their drinks.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Ticket prices are way to high so is the munchie stuff they sell. Cheaper to buy a piece of kobe beef and have a nice dinner instead. And having a nice LCD with great surround system i rather watch the movies at home where you dont get thoose bugger who talk the movie thru or phones that goes of every minute.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I prefer watching stuff at home, can have a laugh with mates, drink and smoke and even take a widdle if you need to. Not to mention the pricing for some sickly sweet stuff that i'd never even bother with otherwise. Probably doesn't help that the hand full of times i've been in the last five years have always been to see stuff that's turned out to be crap.

Also 3D is really over-rated and only used because the cinemas can charge more money.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That depends, some films really are worth it in 3d. Some films are worth seeing on the big screen.

It is far too expensive these days though, and they need to realise that considering how many people have good home setups, they should be trying to encourage cinema going by charging fair prices.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
That depends, some films really are worth it in 3d. Some films are worth seeing on the big screen.

It is far too expensive these days though, and they need to realise that considering how many people have good home setups, they should be trying to encourage cinema going by charging fair prices.
Got to agree with you there.
Avatar *requires* 3D and a big screen for the effect.
Inception came across well on the big screen.
Eclipse and Prince of Persia didn't need the big screen treatment.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Get a projector, they are so cheap these days even for a full 1080, I stuck mine on the high on the wall and painted the opposite wall white , gives me a 16ft diagonal image and even DVD's look good enough.
It's just like the pictures with the lights turned down and the beams of light
picking up dust in the room, no chavs kicking your seat (depends on your house I suppose) and you can pause while you go the bog and you're not worried about the car in the carpark.

Selling the lot actually to go Blu-ray 3D, man I ain't NEVER gonna leave the house.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You want to repaint your wall grey Job, will give you better colour contrast and reproduction from a projector. It's a very specific shade you need, ask nath on these forums or look over on avforums.com they have an faq.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Actually it is a bit grey, researched a bit and then just decided to add some grey to the paint, you can buy some mad expensive projector paint, but getting the room dark is much more important , which isn't as easy as it sounds.
I think for the 3D I will have to upgrade the 'screen'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom