Check this out i found on PS boards. Makes me grin.

B

bone_idle

Last night on Amerish I and other TR were hanging on to our last base. I was sitting high on a hill with my AA MAX. I see a VS in a Magrider in the valley running people over. I shoot some flak at him and actually manage to get his attention. So now here he comes toward me up the hill. I reload and empty another clip into him.
As he gets close, I pull up my anchors and try to side step him. I actually manage to survive (he wasn't moving fast enough to kill me), and he flies past me over the hill and down the other side. I reload, re-anchor, and empty another clip into him. The side of the hill that he was on now is much steeper, and I was able to unload 2 more clips of flak into him.

I guess it was desperation that may have caused him to accidently find the secodary fire mode for his vehicle, (I had pumped almost 200 rounds of flak into him), but I'll be damned if that Magrider didn't start shooting at me! I'll bet he was as surprised as me to see blue balls of death flying forth from his Magrider. Unfortunately, I had done too much damage to him already and I was able to destroy him. Hopefully quickly enough that he may not remember how he fired the weapon attached to his Magrider.

After this incident, I /recalled and warned the Sanctuary that there was a VS that possibly knew how to use the Magrider, and cautioned them to be on their guard.

-Hydro

I still laugh when i read it. Its so true. :)

W

Will

Heh, it really is. I've only seen a few fire...and I think I've only every seen one Magrider with a driver and a gunner.

M

mid_Efour

lol i just read that on the main forums :p

quite funny

P

[PS]Nova

heh
altho to be fair, I usually have a gunner with me unless I'm on my way to pick him up :)

Also, yes, most people tend to just run people over for a couple of reasons.

1. It's much easier :)
2. It's SOOOOO much more fun :)

But I do know how to fire the gun on it, and on occasion, have actually been known to kill someone with the gun!

:p

W

Will

Due to the client-side hit detection, the Magrider is a bit of a joke...you can't actually dodge it, especially if its a 56k driver.

P

[PS]Venom

I used to be a pretty good gunner in a mag until they changed the gun, now I'm out of practice.

S

Sarum TheBlack

Originally posted by [PS]Nova
<stuff>, have actually been known to kill someone with the gun!

Was he AFK? The reason nobody fires the driver gun is it's pretty crap.. does naff all damage, if you actually manage to hit anyone (quite hard if you're moving, since it's got no pivot). Much easier not fire it (it's just a big glowy early warning system for the other side) and run people over instead.

T

Turamber

What Sarum said. The drivers gun does about the same amount of damage to targets as my girlfriends hamster would. Yep it looks nasty but it does zero damage.

Magrider drivers have the same problem as tank drivers from other factions - getting gunners. Very few people want to do it, they'd rather be in charge of what they do rather than driven around by a third party. Understandable really I guess.

So the Mag driver has little recourse but to bum around by himself. And, of course, with its greater maneuverability the mag can be used very effectively in running over enemy soldiers.

That said if they have half a brain and use the terrain to their advantage, not to mention employing their AV, they will counter the mag effectively. Of course the very best countermeasure to a mag is an enemy tank, so please stop whining and spec your tank :)

W

Will

I love gunning in tanks or buggies. The only problem is idiot drivers who charge straight into an enemy base, hitting every mine on the way in, then blame the gunner when they don't make it out alive.;)

F

Faeldawn

I must be unlucky, most Magriders i encounter have gunners, most painful :)

Originally posted by Will.
I love gunning in tanks or buggies. The only problem is idiot drivers who charge straight into an enemy base, hitting every mine on the way in, then blame the gunner when they don't make it out alive.;)

Deady and DMW dont play anmore tho m8 :)

W

Will

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Deady and DMW dont play anmore tho m8 :)
They seem to have passed on their driving techniques though.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Will.
They seem to have passed on their driving techniques though.

I actually saw a NC guy in MAX armour today named DeadManWalkin(no g) needless to say, i kept at a safe distance just in case :)

S

Sarum TheBlack

The 'real gun' on a Mag is pretty powerful (if a little tricky to use.. like the Lancer really), and when I'm in an outfit spot, our Mag drivers don't often have much of a problem filling the seat, unless everyone is genuinely busy (like already in a vehicle)/too far away. I certainly have no problems hopping in if I'm given the chance (I'm a pretty crap shot with it tho.. you'd really be better of with a different gunner :p)

You see more gunnerless Mags than other tanks because it can be used effectively like this.. it's much harder to mow with a vanguard or prowler. Although now the thresher and lightning have had some love, I think you'll find people switching to these (esp the lighting, since it's got much more powerful driver armaments).

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Turamber
That said if they have half a brain and use the terrain to their advantage, not to mention employing their AV, they will counter the mag effectively. Of course the very best countermeasure to a mag is an enemy tank, so please stop whining and spec your tank :)

tried using terrain :) saw Magrider and got behind a tree, in theory the tank would only ram the tree on its way to me. Instead it drove past the side of it, apparently not even knowing I was there and he carried on his merry way, of course I died in the process as I was somewhere near it :rolleyes:

Fairly accurate post tho :) most vanu are thick as shite, with possibly the exception of Trelawney and maybe our own Turamber & Belsameth :p

T

Turamber

Err thanks, I think :p

Apparently such issues are 'client side collision detection problems'. Well, that's what someone told me, have no idea what it means ;)

In any event I rarely get those results as I have a wicked 2mb cable connection to PS.

I do get through my fair share of magmower targets tho, I particularly like it when they're looking the other way. Killed about 10 TR trying to get in a tower that way. The series of collissions blew the mag up but not before a screenfull of death spam had been attributed to yours truly :clap:

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Omniscieous
tried using terrain :) saw Magrider and got behind a tree, in theory the tank would only ram the tree on its way to me. Instead it drove past the side of it, apparently not even knowing I was there and he carried on his merry way, of course I died in the process as I was somewhere near it :rolleyes:

Once got run over inside a tower by a magrider, beat that :)

G

Gekul

The mag is wasted without a gunner, can do so much with a good one.
First day I got the Mag cert I played carmageddon with it, and if you haven't tried it, I suggest you do. Once you get used to the controls it is really fun.
Then started running with a gunner, won't run without one now. Without a gunner, you can just run people over. Can get a laugh from that but I could kill them without the Mag. Can't destroy AMS' or other tanks without a gunner, and they're the things that change battles the most.

Most games use some sort of client side prediction, you can get hit when running round corners by bullets. You can get hit by tanks too. All vehicles run people over in the same way a Mag does.

G

Gekul

lol....your serious?

Wow, time of the month?

There isn't a special netcode for the mag, all the vehicles hitboxes are the same.

S

Sarum TheBlack

lol....your serious?

This has been done 1,000 times, and it's getting boring. The hitbox is the same, the collision detection is the same. The netcode is the same. EVERYTHING is the same. The Mag is just faster and more manoeuvrable, so it's more often used to run people over, hence you notice it more. "I've been run over my Mags more than prowlers" so fucking what... I can't remember the last time I SAW a prowler.

Originally posted by Omniscieous
Fairly accurate post tho :) most vanu are thick as shite, with possibly the exception of Trelawney and maybe our own Turamber & Belsameth :p

I take objection to the implications about my own level of intelligence.

W

Will

Getting awfully worked up about it there...

Because the Mag is more manoeuvrable, it takes advantage of the client-side hit detection far more easily than any other tank. Which is annoying for grunts like me.

And its not easy to dodge, since what you are seeing isn't what the man driving you down is seeing.

S

Spinky

The Thresher was the thing that almost made me wanna reroll in VS, it was just so cute and cuddly, fun as heckfire to drive, and the gun rocked, however piddly the damage might have been.

Post patch though that's not about to happen any time soon for obvious reasons :p

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Turamber in his fecking Magrider = my pet hate no.1

Whenever I get the bugger in my Reaver's sights (and actually swiss cheese his armor), he somehow manages to slip into an area with 3 billion aa MAX, 88's or whatever...

I got him once... and I see him all the time. *sighs*
Me wants to kill. :(

But hey - respect. I usually get Magriders I put my sights on. ;)

T

Turamber

Is that a compliment from Uncle Sick?

:eek2:

I love the magrider - especially love it with a gunner, but it's great that it can be effective without one too. It sure is weak to enemy aircraft, but with a bit of common sense that is usually averted.

Funny thing is when Sick actually did kill me I was in the middle of a discussion by chat with an ex-gf. One hand on the mouse, one on the phone -- not a recipe for effective play ;)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Turamber

Funny thing is when Sick actually did kill me I was in the middle of a discussion by chat with an ex-gf. One hand on the mouse, one on the phone -- not a recipe for effective play ;)

Lets talk about taking advantage of real life issues. ;)

You were just lucky so far... one day I shall get j00!!1 RAH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom