[RANT] Character rollbacks

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Well I was affected by a character rollback at the weekend along with a lot of other people, well I wasn`t too worried logged it as a character issue checked the forums, GOA are on the case don`t worry you'll get your lost xp ect back.

Great thinks I till I get home last night and check my email paraphrased:

"We can`t confirm you lost anything so tough shit loser"

Now as a loyal customer all the way through closed and open beta and all the way through release, not to mention 6 years of DAOC I would have expected something a little bit more. Although knowing how GOA generally treat their customers I guess I shouldn`t be surprised.

This is just a rant tbh with you guys pointing out how GOA fail their customers again and again, for me this really has put the seed of doubt into my mind on whether to renew or not.

Any new people thinking of playing the game please take my advice go and play on US servers or go and play WoW.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
dont you just love rollbacks! still dont understand how Mythic/GoA can allow a database rollback and not know who was effected, you would think with a decreasing player base and there jobs on teh line, they would err on the side of caution...

again let me quote those immortal word etched into my cerebellum

"Same service or better..."

:m00:

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
So true "same service or better"...

Currently missing around 70-100 gold (i forget the exact amounts without checking) and 20+ officer medallions.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
So true "same service or better"...

Currently missing around 70-100 gold (i forget the exact amounts without checking) and 20+ officer medallions.

I wouldn`t hold your breath for getting that lot back mate, I lost 500k xp and 25k rp`s plus anhiliator boots, might not sound a lot but the amount I can play thats my entire Saturday gone.

eksdee

FH is my second home
that sucks. the current server situation is absolutely unforgiveable. we had an altdorf attack yesterday which we really could have done with going to to gear up the two new players in our set group - but when we entered we had 10s delay, so instead of participating in the so-called end-game, we went to a locked zone and did 6v6 all night with some order guilds. god knows what the average player does... oh wait i do know, they log out and cancel their subs :/

good to see you're still around and well btw case, hows things going mate? :)

edit; this is mirieth btw :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Lol, we are getting exactly the same service as US servers, Scorge, get your facts right tbfh.

We even got a free days worth of play the other night for 1 hours lost playtime. You can't complain about that. They are obviously trying to sort out the problems, but of course its taking a bit longer than anyone would want.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The game would have been so much better with another 6 months development time and proper beta testing, as in they actually listen to the beta testers.

I am giving it another chance this weekend (3rd chance! :p) as I have become pretty disillusioned with WoW, its become far to easy. I really hope its not as piss poor as it was the last time I played.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
If anyone likes a giggle btw, click on credits on the char sel screen next time you log in. Look at the QA team listed. Now cut it in half.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well I was affected by a character rollback at the weekend along with a lot of other people, well I wasn`t too worried logged it as a character issue checked the forums, GOA are on the case don`t worry you'll get your lost xp ect back.

Great thinks I till I get home last night and check my email paraphrased:

"We can`t confirm you lost anything so tough shit loser"

Now as a loyal customer all the way through closed and open beta and all the way through release, not to mention 6 years of DAOC I would have expected something a little bit more. Although knowing how GOA generally treat their customers I guess I shouldn`t be surprised.

This is just a rant tbh with you guys pointing out how GOA fail their customers again and again, for me this really has put the seed of doubt into my mind on whether to renew or not.

Any new people thinking of playing the game please take my advice go and play on US servers or go and play WoW.

and the exact same thing happened on the US servers, so its not any better at all.

if your gonna make a "the grass is greener on the other side" thread, atleast make sure it IS greener.

Popov

Fledgling Freddie
The game would have been so much better with another 6 months development time and proper beta testing, as in they actually listen to the beta testers.

I am giving it another chance this weekend (3rd chance! :p) as I have become pretty disillusioned with WoW, its become far to easy. I really hope its not as piss poor as it was the last time I played.

"WoW's far too easy", wow grats on completing Ulduar and it's hard modes so fast, you must have an awesome guild ;)

Totaly agree about the beta testing, it was more than ibvious that the game had a long way to go before it should be released when we were testing it. The answer always seemed to be that the devs had some magical secret build which was from 3 months in the future on which everything worked perfectly (or so it seemed)

Sadly I think the game we were promised at release will probably be around in another 6 months and play very well but most will have moved on and be waiting on the next big MMO release having consigned WAR to the bookshelf to gather dust.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Should be like in wow, normally nothing happens on server crash, sometimes you just get a location rollback.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sadly I think the game we were promised at release will probably be around in another 6 months and play very well but most will have moved on and be waiting on the next big MMO release having consigned WAR to the bookshelf to gather dust.

probably true. but those ppl will never ever be happy and will find a reason to quit the next "big mmo" to, its the nature of that kind of ppl, they go from game to game spewing sulfur without sticking around long enough for the game to get good.

i have yet to play a game at release that was actually good and balanced at release, NO mmo company can produce such a game straight of the bat.

just take WoW for example, that game was fucking horrible at release, they had so many crash issues it took them almost 2 YEARS to crack down the last one.

same with AoC, it was the worst piece of crap i've played in a long time, but now its fantastic fun, and with a new class balance patch out soon its gonna be even better.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
probably true. but those ppl will never ever be happy and will find a reason to quit the next "big mmo" to, its the nature of that kind of ppl, they go from game to game spewing sulfur without sticking around long enough for the game to get good.
<snip>
Nonsense - just because people move on, doesn't mean they "go from game to game speweing sulfur", and will never be happy :twak:

It just means they don't want to keep paying for a half-assed, half-done game while they keep screwing up the stuff which mattered. "Oh - our game about large scale "warfare", can't handle large scale warfare, so we put restrictions in on how many can join."
The strategy of half-assed games, might have worked back in 2000-2005 when competition on the market was small, but as have been seen with the latest 3 "big" MMOs - AoC/TR/War - many potential customers don't want half-assed games anymore.
Just some developers haven't learned that yet and still think first 6 months of retail is beta.

The bar of quality have been raised and being joy-joy-happy-happy to pay for developers to keep screwing stuff up, well - that's an individual decision.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
If you don't want to put up with bugs then the your best bet is to not play a new mmo when it comes out for at least the first 6 months.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If you don't want to put up with bugs then the your best bet is to not play a new mmo when it comes out for at least the first 6 months.

That's kind of true for minor bugs but you expect game breaking bugs to be fixed in beta, otherwise what's the point of a beta period?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!

The only problem with that is beta testing never gives you the same data as live... more polish time would have helped (and a 6 months post-wotlk release mighta helped too... but hey) but I'm not sure how much.

case in point - scenarios.

These were (and still are) massively popular in live - noone touched them in beta.

I think the problem is this latest patch was rushed out too fast - and they didn't have enough people testing it to catch the crash bugs - the rollbacks are connected to the server crashes which only happen when you have lots of people.

I'm sure a longer QA process with some serious load testing (even artificial load) could have helped find these problem. That or make the test server spec rubbish - if it's not already - so that even the reduced pop they get for testing stuff would be enough to start problems.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
wasn't on last night but reading reports that the lagmonster is gone?

anyone else in a big fight last night?

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
I'm sure a longer QA process etc

Not having fired 50% of your QA team while pushing out fast, regular patches to fix the huge problems that the game still has, would have meant less bugs in every patch for the same amount of QA time.

It's clear Mythic's priority is not, and has never been releasing quality patches - we saw it with DAoC almost every single patch for 5+ years and we've seen it for the 6 months of WAR.

When they released DAoC the MMO market was very narrow, and people didn't have the expectations or the choice they do now so you could afford to get away with it. Now, it's costing them subscribers and us an evening's enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom