Changing Uni Courses.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yo,

After doing this voluntary work at at a primary school, I've decided I want to teach there rather than a secondary school, currently, I'm set to do a BA in History, starting in September.

But, this really isn't necessary if I want to teach primary, so I'd rather do a BA in Primary Education instead.

Say I wanted to stay at the same Uni, but change courses, should I contact the Uni direct, ask them if I can change, or do it through UCAS (Completely withdrawing my offer for History that is).

The reason I ask is because I don't want to leave myself stranded if the Uni knee jerk and say yes, if you get the grades? - Oh, you've got the grades? - Oh, you didn't get enough, sorry, bye, oh no, you can't do History now anyway, bye!

Thanks Freddehs!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You'd need to learn how to use commas before anyone will let you teach tbh.

rynnor

Rockhound
Wazzerphuk said:
You'd need to learn how to use commas before anyone will let you teach tbh.

Acerbic as ever but you do make a good point.

If you dont know how to use a comma its better not to. Break extra long sentences into seperate ones.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Best bet would be to ask your teachers / head of sixth form at school mate. Switching courses before you've started must be fairly common. Being teachers they could also give you some advice about a teaching career in general I would have thought. Does doing history rule out primary teaching as a career?

I know lots of people who have switched degree whilst at uni but it has nearly always been to a fairly similar course (for example maths to maths and physics).

rynnor

Rockhound
I see you apply the same rule to apostrophes.

No I forgot it from the phone. I'm not a grammar nazi. Mine is awful so I try to keep to very simple uses of things like commas.

I have a natural tendency to produce text much like the first post too. With overlong sentences that sometimes take up a whole paragraph!

Gwadien

Best bet would be to ask your teachers / head of sixth form at school mate. Switching courses before you've started must be fairly common. Being teachers they could also give you some advice about a teaching career in general I would have thought. Does doing history rule out primary teaching as a career?

I know lots of people who have switched degree whilst at uni but it has nearly always been to a fairly similar course (for example maths to maths and physics).
Well basically, the primary course is liked by primary schools, since you don't actually need a degree in a particular subject any more since you won't be going into major depths at primary level.

Wazz, why do you always have to be a cunt in every thread, I wouldn't mind if you were being a cunt and helpful, but you're just a cunt.

Miserable, cunt,.

I type like I speak, I can't really help that, if it's more formal I will actually break it down and do it properly. Sorry sir.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Are you already at uni?

When i changed all I had to do was go and ask the new department, there were loads of spaces that had opened up since a lot of people drop out/switch courses. In fact sometimes you can switch to a course which originally required higher grades than you achieved that way.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
"I need help"

"You need to brush up on <x>."

"WAAAAAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHH Why you be mean?"

Gwadien

Are you already at uni?

When i changed all I had to do was go and ask the new department, there were loads of spaces that had opened up since a lot of people drop out/switch courses. In fact sometimes you can switch to a course which originally required higher grades than you achieved that way.

Nope, I'm supposed to be starting in September, that's the thing, shall I do it then, before, etc etc :p

"I need help"

"You need to brush up on <x>."

"WAAAAAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHH Why you be mean?"

But you didn't answer or help to answer my question in anyway, if you said your post in a side note, and then actually gave me credible advice, I would've appreciated it.

Why the fuck am I feeding a troll?

Franklywhocares?
EDIT - I've never watched that video before, but that's how I get to school in the morning.
I FUCKING DO:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2u5uUu3DE

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Ok, next time I'll be sure to give some poor advice on a subject I don't know anything about just so I can include a side note on something I do know about.

"WWAHAHAHAHAA the feedback you gave me wasn't exactly what I wanted!"

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
notaboutthecoursebutaboutgrammaronfh/

Gwadien

Ok, next time I'll be sure to give some poor advice on a subject I don't know anything about just so I can include a side note on something I do know about.

"WWAHAHAHAHAA the feedback you gave me wasn't exactly what I wanted!"

Why don't you just stay out of the thread if you clearly know your opinion is not needed?

kbyexoxo

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Give the uni a ring and see what they say, I wouldn't reapply for the whole thing though. Once you're in, you're in tbh.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Why don't you just stay out of the thread if you clearly know your opinion is not needed?

kbyexoxo

It IS needed, you just don't want to hear it. Those are the times you need that advice the most.

rynnor

Rockhound
You might want to think a bit more about a career in teaching. The kids are nice and all but its one of the most regimented political footballs there is.

The current system seems designed to drive good teachers away.

Gwadien

You might want to think a bit more about a career in teaching. The kids are nice and all but its one of the most regimented political footballs there is.

The current system seems designed to drive good teachers away.
Trust me, I thought about it long and hard, it's one of the jobs where you can move around the world a bit, especially with a British teaching qualification.

Although it sounds a bit cliché and shit, I'd love to go to like Africa and volunteer there for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom