Changing Spec!

Blizard

One of Freddy's beloved
Im thinking of respecing my Armsman out of sword/shield for the 2hand line.

With a new template in the making, i need to know a couple of things...

1. Does specing over 50 ie. 50+15 in slash do any more damage than 35+15?
I have heard that anything over 50 on your base damage when you go Pole or 2hand is a waste, thats why most go 35 slash, 50 pole etc.
Or is it just the variance in damage and the miss rate that will alter?

2. If any of you armsmen out there read this and have tried Pole and 2hand... What and why do you think is the better choice.
Many thanks...

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Blizard said:
Im thinking of respecing my Armsman out of sword/shield for the 2hand line.

With a new template in the making, i need to know a couple of things...

1. Does specing over 50 ie. 50+15 in slash do any more damage than 35+15?
I have heard that anything over 50 on your base damage when you go Pole or 2hand is a waste, thats why most go 35 slash, 50 pole etc.
Or is it just the variance in damage and the miss rate that will alter?

2. If any of you armsmen out there read this and have tried Pole and 2hand... What and why do you think is the better choice.
Many thanks...

1. In slash, no. You only need 51 effective levels in the base damage type. If, however, you go hybrid spec and want to use base slash styles as well, then going over 51 effective levels WILL make a difference. Miss rate will not alter.

2. For group combat, 2h. Rear and side chains are both snare then stun. Yum.

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, think rvn pointed out earlier that alb 2-h got really nice styles and is thus the best choice. Pole does have a nice hinder/snare style though, and I think it looks cooler with pole. If you're a roleplayer, choose pole I guess, if you wanna make it as good as possible for group rvr, then I guess 2-h.
Also, as I understand it, slam, ie shield weaponskill is affected by mainhand weaponskill/spec and your dex, so you would have a greater chance of landing slam with higher 1-h spec, but you prolly won't be slamming any high defense classes from the front anyway.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
The theory was that if you're gonna use advanced combat styles (DW, CD, LA, CS), then your should aim for a 51 composite weapon spec. That can (if) only work on classes that use the above lines. Theory goes that your base damage will not modify and as you'll be using styles from the advanced line you wont be missing out on style damage.

Hence (in theory) you can spec a rr5 BM to 36 weapon (+15) and use only celtic dual styles. However there are some contradictions to that, some say that supernova (lvl 50 CD style) is based on weapon spec.

Mind you, the tests were conducted on dummies on pendragon, so there is a wide possibility for them to not correspond to rvr conditions.

Not 100% sure of the above, just the things that I recall. I'm still 44 pierce 50 CD on ranger anyway :p

Hope that helps

edit: reading what leel wrote while i was writing this (again not 100% certain) slam has a fixed 75% chance to land and is not affected by WS.

swords

Can't get enough of FH
Shield styles are based off seperate shield spec ws.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
i prefer pole tbh. anytime snare and great solo styles, dont need the stuns off 2h since u will have slam :p

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Did they change the base damage on poles and 2handers while I was gone? Because the last I remember, poles had a base damage of 130% and 2handers were 110% - hence most people choosing pole over 2h.

Of course, I guess 2h is okay for the styles - but been using it on my Armsman recently and I absolutely hate it.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
sounds like fiction to me ro ;)

poles would have done more damage in ye olden days because there were 6.0 speed poles but only 5.7 speed 2hers...

Plus pole styles have different growth rates (in particular defenders rage/revenge had a huge growth rate - different now but rage is still nice)

Other than that the damage is the same:
style multiplier is based on the line the styles are from (i.e. 2h)
base damage is based on base weapon spec (capped at 50 base weaponspec)
2h bonus is based on the 2h line (i.e. 2h/polearm)

in other words, unless you want to be spamming diamond slash, modified base spec = 50, as much 2h/pole as you can get.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
The all 1h ws for landing Slam is BS, Shield has his own hidden ws based upon shield spec (so that +11 is a must) and your dex.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Gahn said:
The all 1h ws for landing Slam is BS, Shield has his own hidden ws based upon shield spec (so that +11 is a must) and your dex.

thats correct.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
It´s not 51 composite its 50. He said 51 "just to be sure" but my personal tests and others testing has shown that you only need 50 composite specc not 51.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
50 would make more sense :) but if you want to be safe go 51 or run a test

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:

Your source for this info?

Pera

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
50 would make more sense :) but if you want to be safe go 51 or run a test

Its 50 below RR5 and 51 for RR5 and above.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
eggy said:
Your source for this info?

My personal experience with 6, 20, 34 and 50 1h.
Also there was an huge test on vnboards ages ago clearly stating that.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Gahn said:
i had a feeling that must be the case.....cos with only 6blunt my ws is 1226 i think when buffed with shield....an 17xx with lw....so to only get another 500ws from speccin 44 more in lw seemed like bs to me...

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
woa glad i read this thread :)

was planning on staying +5 shield in my warriortemp lol :p

just one question, anyone at all got some sorta link to some sorta test on:

+shield grants more hits with slam!

:confused:

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure if this is relavent to armsmen, but there is a longstanding bug which causes damage of all level 50 styles in advanced weapon lines to be calculated on BASE base weapon spec rather than composite base weapon spec as with all other styles in the line. So you'll do almost identical damage for sub-50 2h/polearm styles with 35+15 or 50+15, but significantly more with 50+15 when using the level 50 style. Ofc this will only matter if you're using the level 50 polearm/2h style a lot, but it's the reason why many DW infils spec 50 base thrust atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom