Changing Drives

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

I currently have my PC booting off C:\, with most of my applications, work and programs on E:\ (faster HD, and more storage).

Is it possible to change E:\ to be labelled C:\, and C:\ to be labelled E:\, but still have E:\ as primary HD to boot xp off?

The reason for this is E:\ WAS C:\, one of windows (I think) files corrupted and I can't seem to fix it, and a lot of the programs I installed on there now will not load up, I think because they all think they are on C:\ so try to load drivers etc from C:\, but they are not there anymore, as it is no longer C:\.

Bah so confusing, if you need any help with clarification then yell :)

Thanks

Chris

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Try looking in

Control Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Management

In there, there should be a option called Disk Management (under storage).

You *may* be able to do it there, but since c:\ is special it may not like it.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
I'd suggest using Partition Magic for those kind of operations. Usually works really good. If I recall right, you cant change the ":" of the drive Windows is located on, from within Windows itself.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
You can't change the "System Disk" letter using Disk Management.

However, there is a way of doing it by editing the Registry, sometimes it works, other times you might need to re-install the OS (not reformat).

Search around, it can be done because I've done it.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
I would seriously recommend not trying any scary registry hacks to relabel the drive letters. It'll cause you more grief than it's worth. Partition magic may be capable, but make sure you back everything up and hide it in a disused nuclear shelter before you start.

In your situation, what I would do is to copy all of your useful files onto the drive you eventually use as your secondary disk (probably the slow one). Then disconnect it completely.

Connect the faster drive to primary master. Format it and re-install windows on it. Get it to a useable state, then reconnect the slower drive as secondary mater. You can re-letter any CD drives you have to have the slow drive as D: with the CD drive(s) as E: onwards. Then re-install your software.

This process is a drudge, but it's the only way to get a clean healthy install going again. Even if you could switch the drive letters. Most of your installed apps on the fast drive still won't work, as they'll be missing important registry entries that can only be provided by the broken windows install. (Cue lots of grrrrring and swearing)

It's a cathartic thing, re-installing windows. It hurts and it takes ages, but you feel pure and cleansed at the end of it ;)

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
xane said:
You can't change the "System Disk" letter using Disk Management.

Yes you can. Right click on the drive in the Disk Management window and there is a "Change Drive letter and Paths" option.

Ive always had grief with it finding programs in the registry after that though. A reinstall is usually your best bet.

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for your help all.

Tried looking at changing drive letter, can do it, but not for c:\.

I think I will just have to burn everything onto CD's / copy to drives etc and reinstall everything. Was hoping I could not do that, stupid amounts of work that I need. Oh well, think that'll be my task for sunday :(

Thanks again all

Chris

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
sirin said:
Thanks for your help all.

Tried looking at changing drive letter, can do it, but not for c:\.

I think I will just have to burn everything onto CD's / copy to drives etc and reinstall everything. Was hoping I could not do that, stupid amounts of work that I need. Oh well, think that'll be my task for sunday :(

Thanks again all

Chris

I think you can clone your operating system onto a partition on your faster drive using norton ghost. Then reformat the slower drive...move your data back onto it & your on your way (I think theres a file boot.ini or system.ini..cant remember... that you delete to uncouple the boot sequence...maybe someone else could advise on that...then remove the windows folder..or whatevers easiest). I have cloned operating systems plenty of times (I use ghost to fully backup my os) & they retain full functionality (even fools XP ;) ).

Even if you cant clone to a partition...no problemo...just pack as much data as possible onto your windows drive (just as long as you dont exceed the capacity of the recipient drive...you could even use winzip)....backup on CD what you cant....then clone the windows drive onto the faster newer drive...you wont screw your settings & most of your programs will still work coz you'll have cloned the registry...lurvely :)

ps...dont forget to wipe the old windows drive...dont want it to boot from the wrong drive

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Dr_Weasel said:
Yes you can. Right click on the drive in the Disk Management window and there is a "Change Drive letter and Paths" option.

Ive always had grief with it finding programs in the registry after that though. A reinstall is usually your best bet.

Actually, you are right... my mistake. I used Partition Magic to change the System Disks drive letter, not Disk Management. Sorry!

You are still better off with a reinstall though (or the clone idea). I usually find your machine will run much better with a clean install every 12-18 months though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom