CD Drive Problems

W

Will

Well, my cd-rom was a cheap piece of crap, but it used to work. It's not been auto-playing for a while, but that never really bothered me, in fact, it was a good thing.:D
Unfortunatly, last night I noticed it has got worse.:mad: I can install games, but it wouldn't read cd's to play games. I'm running under win98, and I re-installed my drivers, even rebooted, and still nothing.

Any ideas, apart from buy a new drive?

W

WPKenny

Tried cleaning the lens with one of them lens cleaning CD thingumybobs?

Short of that, unless you're a qualified CD-rom drive engineers there's not a lot you can do.

T

Testin da Cable

aye, as Kenny says...clean the thing you dirty bugger ;)
btw, I have a 32xPlextor scsi cdromdrive free atm mate. you wanna deal?

W

Will

I notice the word "SCSI" in your cd-rom. That'd cost more than buying another cheap-piece-of-crap drive. I'll consider it.:D

And the lens thing, you think that would affect it only when trying to run games? Remember the install works ok.

/me scratches his head

X

Xavier

hmm, have you changed anything in your system recently??

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by ItchyTrigaFinga
I notice the word "SCSI" in your cd-rom. That'd cost more than buying another cheap-piece-of-crap drive. I'll consider it.:D

And the lens thing, you think that would affect it only when trying to run games? Remember the install works ok.

/me scratches his head

I'm willing to swap it for a GF3 ;)

W

Will

Heh, throw in a scsi card, and I'll swap for a 56k modem and a 486.:D

T

Testin da Cable

I could actually throw in an adaptec2940. no cable tho :(

W

Will

Scsi card and cd rom for an old 486 and a hardware modem? I'll buy my own cable ;)

T

Testin da Cable

I have no idea what to ask for it you know.
how's €150 sound?

W

Will

Confusing and rather scarey...I better look for a conversion rate.

T

Testin da Cable

hehe ditto ;)
pm me if you think it'll work out mate

X

Xavier

would a new one cost that?

a scsi cdrom won't be much use on it's own, you can get a cdrw drive for £50 nowadays - would probably be better to stick with IDE :D

W

Will

Aye, except I'm upgrading soon, so might be adding a few more scsi devices. I know what you are saying though, I'll look into my options carefully.:)

W

Will

Go on, try for a reasoned and rational argument, SCSI vs IDE.

F

FuZor

Originally posted by ItchyTrigaFinga
Go on, try for a reasoned and rational argument, SCSI vs IDE.

SCSI = Fast & Expensive & Old stlya for PC's Sparcs use 'm though

IDE = Cheaper & Slower & Every M/B got a couple of IDE ports

M

MYstIC G

if you've got EIDE ya might as well stick to it imho

T

Testin da Cable

true dat, but if you're thinking of getting a scsi cdrw to go with it and perhaps mebbeh a scsi tapeunit too [all on the cheap]
price I quoted Itchy was a bit steep tho and he knows, as I will tell him

W

Will

Getting all confused with your new-fangled € are you?

X

Xavier

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
true dat, but if you're thinking of getting a scsi cdrw to go with it and perhaps mebbeh a scsi tapeunit too [all on the cheap]
price I quoted Itchy was a bit steep tho and he knows, as I will tell him

hmm, our plexy 12x scsi cdrw coasters at 12x every time - and it's the only scsi device attached... have to run at 8x for reliable burns

the ide plexy 12x burns at 12x every time and hasn't coastered yet...

(oh, and the SCSI cdrw has been replaced once - yes I did consider that!)

S

Summo

Just getting back to the first post for a second...

It could be a problem with the SafeDisc copy protection on CDs. I've heard of this before. CDs install okay but when you run the game, SafeDisc tries to verify the encrypted signature on the CD and hangs.

Does this happen on recordable CDs as well or just official and cloned CDs?

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Xavier

hmm, our plexy 12x scsi cdrw coasters at 12x every time - and it's the only scsi device attached... have to run at 8x for reliable burns

woo strange that Xav mate. i've got the 8x plextor scsi burner myself, and it's never failed me. ah well.

W

Will

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Does this happen on recordable CDs as well or just official and cloned CDs?
Don't have any problems with recorded CDs, only games which need to be in the drive to run the games. Doesn't hang though, just fails to recognise the CD.

S

Summo

Yeah, sounds just like this SafeDisc problem to me (though a new CD-ROM is bound to cure it). I'll hunt around the webbeh to see what I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom