Catapults?

G

granny

Anyone know a couple of basic things about catapults?

First, what kind of damage can we expect from the cheapest one and over what kind of area?

Secondly where do we buy ammo from and how much does it cost & weigh?

Very grateful for any info anyone can offer :)

A

Alrindel

All right, first go here and marvel at our dazzling genius:

http://www.silent-death.net/gallery/Onager.htm

oooooh! aaaaaaaah!

As for damage, I think it was hitting the (admittedly level 1-3 mobs) for around 1000. Lethion would have to confirm that as he did most of the firing. There was some splash damage but in a very tight area, a catapult stone that would hit two badger cubs for 1000 left a water beetle larva still alive only a couple of feet away. I think I read somewhere that splash damage is considerably increased on the level 2 and level 3 catapults but I'm not sure.

Ammunition is cheap, catapult stones are only a few silver each. I think they weigh 4 or 5 pounds - my little level 10 bard alt was easily able to carry 10 or 12. Unfortunately the only place you can get them at the moment is the merchant keep, Dun Crauchon. In this picture http://www.silent-death.net/gallery/onager-002.jpg you see my level 10 bard alt and Merbos' level 5 bard alt taking the short route home with a full backpack of ammo.

What you can't see in the picture, alas, is the Alb who ran away from us in terror as we charged the keep, apparently not even considering that we might be very, very grey (and in my case, armed with Ninja Bongos).

G

granny

Ahh superb Alrindel, thanks :)

Excellent pics, I'm chuckling just looking at them :p

The Harpers are planning on building a catapult somewhere in Hibernia tonight for a laugh, I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how it went :)

A

Alrindel

ps. you can't fire lurikeen with it. we tried.

G

granny

damn :( We had 4 luri's lined up for the first test too.

A

Alrindel

If Crauch is still in the hands of the unwashed tonight you won't be able to get ammunition, or buy parts there (you can't get ALL siege engine parts in Innis Carthaig, unfortunately). But get in touch with Lethion, we might have some stones left for you. And you should get crafters to make the parts anyways: the main expense by far is the wood, but you can save a little bit by using player crafted components, especially on catapults which have so many bits to them.

Last tip: have a high level weaponcrafter standing by your weapon the whole time you have it, periodically repairing it with /repair. You'll extend its lifespan considerably.

S

SFXman

Hmm, odd, someone said that the cheapest ones do only a bit over 100 or so on realm enemies :rolleyes:

A

Alrindel

I doubt that someone was silly enough to have used them to blow up badger cubs, grass spirits, minor changelings and water beetle larvae... :rolleyes:

G

granny

Doh I forgot Cruachon was taken by those smelly albs :( We'll see what our plans are tonight then :p

We were indeed planning on building it all ourselves, we now have a 500+ crafter for each craft :) And I was gonna be doing the repairs myself :p

S

SFXman

Doh I forgot Cruachon was taken by those smelly albs
Grrmrmgrmgrr... *grumble*.... I think the mids take the prize of being smelly and horrifyingly primal!
Us Albs however are quite civilised and could I even dare to say, upper-class *cough* :rolleyes:

A

Aeiedil

i thought smelly was the right word :) i dont see any ventilation on those plate suits ;)

M

Meatballs

you're making it tonight? lol see you in game :)

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Aeiedil
i thought smelly was the right word :) i dont see any ventilation on those plate suits ;)
lol.... never thought of it that way, we really need a hygiene merchant with all the CK deos and stuff :D

F

fatgit

cheapo catas do 150 dam max, but remember its AoE and interrupts casters, and de-stealths :)

The top-of-the-range jobby should do 350+

I hope to test a ballista out soon, Ill post details :)

S

SFXman

Originally posted by fatgit
cheapo catas do 150 dam max, but remember its AoE and interrupts casters, and de-stealths :)

The top-of-the-range jobby should do 350+

I hope to test a ballista out soon, Ill post details :)
Excellent fatgit. Report to us with your results, and welcome to these boards.... because I don't remember seeing you earlier :)

G

granny

Originally posted by Meatballs
you're making it tonight? lol see you in game :)

Didn't get round to it... for starters Dun Cruachon was still being defiled by smelly Albs so we wouldn't have been able to buy ammo and secondly it was Thursday night... Buffy & Angel on... sigh... never enough people around for a good session on Thursdays :p

We'll try again tonight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom