Catacombs

aleron

Fledgling Freddie
How many of you are planing to buy catacombs?

I dont think I will

Eroda

Fledgling Freddie
I will be, expansions always breath more life into a game imo even if its just nice new graphics

Galoma

Fledgling Freddie
catacombs will be a very good add-on for the game i think... a nice new class... new adwentures, that will be more ez then TOA is...

im gonna buy it for my accounts :fluffle:

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
aleron said:
I dont think I will

What? you wont? you have Quitted the game, and you wont buy? :twak:

Or.... Are you getting tired of life witout daoc already? after one day?! weee! welcome back! =D want to duo tonight? :cheers: :cheers:

Tristessa

One of Freddy's beloved
If this question was asked a few weeks ago I would've said a definite yes... But I got WoW... So chances of buying Catacombs are going down every day :)

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
What daoc misses is Quests! like wow...

becouse now all you can do to gain levels is to xp.. and that can be really lame.. there is no xpQuests for lvl >40, is there?

hope there comes something like that in catacombs, to give the roleplay feeling back, and not the farm-lame-huor-after-huor feeling :puke:

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
mikke said:

becouse now all you can do to gain levels is to xp.. and that can be really lame.. there is no xpQuests for lvl >40, is there?

hope there comes something like that in catacombs, to give the roleplay feeling back, and not the farm-lame-huor-after-huor feeling :puke:

I'd suggest reading a little about Catas... it's possible to quest to 50 or very near to it.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Tristessa said:
If this question was asked a few weeks ago I would've said a definite yes... But I got WoW... So chances of buying Catacombs are going down every day :)
I got wow too, but chance I'll get catacombs is bigger than staying in that boring game too mutch longer xD

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
mikke said:

Plenty of quests in daoc afaik, just not a big bunch of same-ish lvl quests at one place, and no exclamation marks etc to point em out for lazy players :p
Think questing in daoc would be easier (as in, free xp when heading same direction anyway :p) if they'd make it more obvious that certain npc's are worth speaking to. In EQ2 the npc's start talking to ye if they've got quests or merchandise, in wow they've got big yellow exclamation marks over their heads, but in daoc the quest npc's are just stuck in some dark corner...
Zenythe said:
I'd suggest reading a little about Catas... it's possible to quest to 50 or very near to it.
Might actually not be a drag to create a new character then :p After several 50's grinding isn't all that exciting anymore ^^

Tristessa

One of Freddy's beloved
Straef said:
I got wow too, but chance I'll get catacombs is bigger than staying in that boring game too mutch longer xD

It aint boring mate. You just gotta get past the point of making your female elf dance naked on the bar :) /train works wonders to crack me up as well lol

Eroda

Fledgling Freddie
Tristessa said:
It aint boring mate. You just gotta get past the point of making your female elf dance naked on the bar :) /train works wonders to crack me up as well lol

/train on my female gnome is so funny. makes me laugh everytime

As for WoW, initially i really enjoyed the quests but ive found them irritating at times now. The 'Bring me 20 kobold ears' type things annoy me especially when u have to kill like 3 times the number to complete it. Theres still quite a grind really, only they have hidden it alot better than daoc :p

Having said that, i do enjoy playing WoW as a nice break from daoc. I think its cos its a new environment rather than any major break-through in mmorpg gaming though, so certainly wont be ditching Daoc for it.

Scunner

Fledgling Freddie
Most people like WoW for the break.

Personally i play daoc for the people as much as the experience. I think the expansion will be good and bad as all expansions but its always nice to have something new and i would rather stay in Daoc than go to any other Mmorph. :)

Gamah

Banned
Straef said:
Plenty of quests in daoc afaik, just not a big bunch of same-ish lvl quests at one place, and no exclamation marks etc to point em out for lazy players :p
Think questing in daoc would be easier (as in, free xp when heading same direction anyway :p) if they'd make it more obvious that certain npc's are worth speaking to. In EQ2 the npc's start talking to ye if they've got quests or merchandise, in wow they've got big yellow exclamation marks over their heads, but in daoc the quest npc's are just stuck in some dark corner...

I think the npc's now have those queston marks..i read that in a patch not somewhere..1.73 I think.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
I think the npc's now have those queston marks..i read that in a patch not somewhere..1.73 I think.
Oh goody ;>

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
Yellow glowing circles around their feet for quests blue for information

toxii

Can't get enough of FH
i like banshee gfx tbh ~ thats y im buying it ofc!!
its out of the question tho buying it for bot or pala as i did with toa ofc :p

RoshiaPendard

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I'm currently playing on US servers, with catacombs on my main account. I can say this, that if you plan to lvl a character from 1-50 the old skool way, then catas in invaluable, but if you have the chars you want at 50 already, then I'll say the expansion is more or less a waste of money.

As for the models etc, yup it was nice the first few days, first time you go rvr with them turned on, you'll see how much they make you lag and turn them off, never to turn them on again ;)

Also targetting with catas models on is close to impossible, so unless you are an F8 spammer don't bother :p

The drops you get from catas mostly have pve stats, (Block 5% (pve only)) etc.

For people new to the game I say catas is good, for those already established I say catas isn't necessary at all :)

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
i have alrdy orderd 2 catas and are playing US as well...and i can say that quests are fun and hard...farm som aurulite chips for PvE armor is fun to....will cost a fortune to sell if ppl wants them

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
RoshiaPendard said:
Well, I'm currently playing on US servers, with catacombs on my main account. I can say this, that if you plan to lvl a character from 1-50 the old skool way, then catas in invaluable, but if you have the chars you want at 50 already, then I'll say the expansion is more or less a waste of money.

As for the models etc, yup it was nice the first few days, first time you go rvr with them turned on, you'll see how much they make you lag and turn them off, never to turn them on again ;)

Also targetting with catas models on is close to impossible, so unless you are an F8 spammer don't bother :p

For people new to the game I say catas is good, for those already established I say catas isn't necessary at all :)
My experience is different.
I have a good machine at work (3GHz HT processor, SATA HD, 1GB ram, 256MB FX5900 graphics card) and an average machine at home (2.2GHz Athlon, 512MB ram, 128MB FX5600 graphics card) and I get no or little lag on live servers or our test server even with all the effects and models turned on. To be fair I don't do a lot of RvR on live Catacombs servers but I have been in heavily populated areas with no serious problems.

The targetting problem was a bug that was fixed recently. It isn't present on our test server and only appeared on US servers when 1.74 went live. I've not noticed any problems since.

There are special bonuses that only affect PvE (+ to block percentage, + to defence, lesser effects from rez sickness etc) but not all items have these. The items also have normal bonuses which are usable in either PvE or RvR including ToA bonuses.

Whether or not you think Catacombs is worth it for your characters is totally up to you of course, however there is a lot in the expansion for level 50 players as well as just a whole new set of ways to quickly level alts.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
RoshiaPendard said:

All boils down to wheter you see RvR as the one and only endgame in DAoC or if you see it as one of the things you can do...

You obviously see it as the one and only endgame.. fair enough you're not going to spend a lot of time in Cata zones .. but for people that enjoy both sides of the medalion (and you'd be surprised how many there still are) it's the best expansion ever.

You took what? 6 weeks to get to 50 and ml10 (and lgm) on a character ... very impressive and you'll soon be ready for what you play the game for .. RvR.

However the large majority of people take more then those 6 weeks and during that time they're going to enjoy Catacombs ... and after they're 50 when they don't hate PvE they'll still have a lot of fun in it in the high end zones and instances.

schizoid9

Fledgling Freddie
I'm one of those who enjoy both PvE and RvR, and I'll definitely try Catacombs. I'm not a hardcore DAoC player, even though I've got an account since Shrouded Isles was published, but I've played a lot of MMORPG's and DAoC is always the one I come back to. WoW is boring and light years behind DAoC in player-vs-player. True, it's easier to level in WoW, and ToA grind is nightmarish at times in DAoC, but in 3-4 months when there'll be more uber-levelled and uber-equipped WoW players the fun will start dying out. PvE is fun in WoW, and there are some nifty features such as the postal service, but at least DAoC gives you the opportunity to actually do something with your lvl 50's, be it ML raiding/farming, or fighting others in the frontiers. Guilds, alliances, battlegroups, all have a meaning in the game. Sieges and keeps is also a very good dimension, although some classes benefit more from this than others and some things are frustrating, such as untargettable animist shrooms in wall breaches :p .
The one thing that suffered after ToA and New Frontiers was the PvE element of the game, which is precisely what Catacombs tries to address, with instanced dungeons and new quests that hopefully involve less walking ;) .

Jobil

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty much what Ros said.
I was lucky enough to stick my merc on Ros' group while grinding to 50, and yup, grinding, it's still there. 'Cept now you dont watch AC anymore, you watch the same annoying dungeon graphics in those instance-dungeon or what ever in hell they're called. Also like Ros said, to those who view RvR as end game, don't bother, admittedly it has some very nice graphics in the new areas (although in my opinion Alb got passed by one more time)
I for one am not going to buy another single copy of this expansion, spent my dosh on the US version and got bored after what would be around a week.
The biggest stuff about Catas is the sexy hair color on my merc, but then again I dont have Catas-graphics installed so out the window the money went...
WoW ftw anyways, so disregard me, I just hate DAoC these days :p

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Requiel said:
The targetting problem was a bug that was fixed recently. It isn't present on our test server and only appeared on US servers when 1.74 went live. I've not noticed any problems since.

according to vnboards, seer section, targeting problems still exisist in their current patch..?

Belgareth

Fledgling Freddie
When Cats comes out, if you're an Alb stick to PvE, otherwise you'll be getting extremely upset once those first new hib/mid classes hit 50 ....

to find out more - visit the VN forums... Not being a killjoy, just don't want to see anymore Albs /quit'ing.

Have fun.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Jobil said:

Bye Jobs ... don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Or are you gonna be another one of those sad people that say they leave and still keep posting on these boards?

:touch:

BigE

One of Freddy's beloved
Shanaia said:

Or are you gonna be another one of those sad people that say they leave and still keep posting on these boards?

nah he's not gonna be that sad is he ? !!!

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Shanaia said:

You're sad for enjoying a forum after leaving the game? -.-

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Straef said:
You're sad for enjoying a forum after leaving the game? -.-

hmm yes it might look like I meant that ...

But what I was talking about was people that leave and then feel it necesarry to flame the game they played for 3 years for weeks or even months after they left it... Because it becomes so obvious that trough their flames all they are trying to do is convince others in a hope that that way they might one day convince themselves as well.

I have no problem with people "enjoying a forum after leaving the game" ... as far as it's possible to enjoy this place in the first place lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom