Catacombs feedback in US

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
http://vnboards.ign.com/Catacombs_Discussion_Board_/b22765/81458135/?30

found this post very informative, so basically an expansion that offers instasnced pve, faster lvling, but no uber gear to surpass toa, best thing possible imo.

here is what some said.

The OVERWHELMING majority of players said "Don't release another expansion that makes us go PvE again if we don't want to".

Guess what? If they had put stuff in there that was better than ToA, then all the uber 50's would have to go back in to get the stuff just to compete.

While I don't think Catacombs is boring per se, I love the fact that I can get from 40-44 in one 8 hour session. Took me a week at least when i did that in AC.
Sure, they didn't add any new uber gear. I would've liked to have seen some - more variety, therefore more ways to tweak your toon.

Edaemos

Fledgling Freddie
All reports ive seen say its a great expansion, it hits one of the core problems with DAOC and that was xping to 50, you can go from 1-50 alot quicker than pre Catacombs doing all the new quests and there are no unbalancing rvr items, all in all sounds like just what the game needed.

Hopefully next they will address rvr.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Thats the thing, what does it do thats useful exactly?

levelling hasn't been a problem since SI days lol, its easier then ever already to get to level 50 you barely have to try, doing master levels will get from 40-50 alone.

Getting to 50 is not a problem, doing it 2 years ago it might of been but now its rediculously easy, even without Catacombs.

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:

levelling hasn't been a problem since SI days lol, its easier then ever already to get to level 50 you barely have to try, doing master levels will get from 40-50 alone.

Getting to 50 is not a problem, doing it 2 years ago it might of been but now its rediculously easy, even without Catacombs.

The leveling is a Problem. Atleast for the ones who just started. Catacombs makes it alot easier for them. And i think thats the Point of Catacombs apart from the new Classes and the Graphical Update for the Long Time Players.

Veg

Fledgling Freddie
Soloing to 50 is still a problem, none of the current expansions have really had PVE at mind, sure they added more content to level in but it didn't really make it much easier for casual players to level.
I'm looking forward to playing Catas, finally I can level and enjoy it without having to powerlevel.

If you don't want to buy a PVE expansion then don't buy catas since it won't be needed for templates/RVR.

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:

Yeh he`s right but there lies the problem with the game and to an extent the players who play.Whats the rush?Enjoy and explore,get to know your class abit,use the Bgs,try differant areas to xp in etc etc.Even make groups and meet people hehe.50 ain`t no big thing once you get 1.You still die just as fast :p However the game does`nt encourage any of the above esp in old classic areas.All the xping is focused to afew small areas and most places you travel through have`nt seen an active player or group in years.

Carrera

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:

As others have mentioned I think you are missing the point of catacombs, though I can understand how it offers nothing to players who are already established with a few 50's and buffbots etc.

Ziz

Fledgling Freddie
typo!

No uber gear?
Im not agreeing here

Deathstalker Gem

5 Envenum
4 Stealth
4 Celtic Duel
4 Crit Strike
19 Dex

hello 97 utility NON rog jewel :worthy:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I'd describe it more as "making levelling more fun" rather than easier.

There's some nice utility items that you might want in your template, but nothing you "must have to compete"

Tiki

Fledgling Freddie
Funny enough from time to time I like to level the "old fashion" way n meet help out the less fortunate levellers. Like robin hood i guess, except I rob from the rich n give to myself. Looking forward to catacombs as its more of an invite to explore then a must... ;)

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
There is definetly uber gear in Catacombs but it is mainly jewelry etc. One comment was that it was meant to provide a replacement for the one-time quest stuff from SI/ToA that for many players is starting to reach worrying levels of dur.

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
While I don't think Catacombs is boring per se, I love the fact that I can get from 40-44 in one 8 hour session. Took me a week at least when i did that in AC.

40-44 in 8 hours :eek6: but but but thats like 2-3 hours in Sheeroe as things are now.

No I dont mean a PL group :p

Majsan

Fledgling Freddie
Ziz said:
No uber gear?
Im not agreeing here

Deathstalker Gem

5 Envenum
4 Stealth
4 Celtic Duel
4 Crit Strike
19 Dex

Strong ;p

Mastade

Fledgling Freddie
Ziz said:
No uber gear?
Im not agreeing here

Deathstalker Gem

5 Envenum
4 Stealth
4 Celtic Duel
4 Crit Strike
19 Dex

+4 to all skills
19 dex

doesnt sound that uber ;X

Bloodclot

Banned
Mastade said:
+4 to all skills
19 dex

doesnt sound that uber ;X

he said something else.
5 Envenum
4 Stealth
4 Celtic Duel
4 Crit Strike
19 Dex

read again :)

maybe there is a gem with those kind of stats.
would be strong tho. but you never know with the new expansions. would be cool tho.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I guess the good thing is, that you can level your alts more easily and don't need to rely on PL'ing them, cause that's a huge problem for new players. Also the new nice items seem to be in instanced dungeons, so no more camping for a mob, you just go there and kill it. Some might say: "This brakes the economy" but personally I think it's redicolous to pay like 20p+ for some items, especially for casual players. I didn't notice this before as I could play like 8-10h a day if I wanted, but after moving to university I know what it means to be a casual. Farming money/items if you only have 10h spread over a weekend is harsh (not like I'm gonna play the whole weekend, I got friends, too =)) ), so I guess catacombs solves a few issues. Also it seems that ToA has been made easier over time and yes, cataombs "+chance to hit with spell" items will have a huge impact for mages on encounters, so maybe they'll finally be able to deal damage to high level mob, while not being too strong in RvR, finally a well thought thing.

I think the release of WoW had a huge impact on Catacombs (instanced, easier leveling, quests etc.), so as I thought it would be, WoW also helped the DAoC community.

Couto

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
it's redicolous to pay like 20p+ for some items, especially for casual players.

You bet, economy on daoc changed alot.
Fukin insane peeps selling items for 50p or even more. IMPOSSIBLE for casual players to have that amount of cash, unless buying from eBay.

Catacombs with bring hope to casual players, finally they can level their chars from 1-50 with instanced quests, and NO I dont agree that its easy to level to 50 nowadays. One year or two ago it was easy to find groups to level, but now... bah all peeps PL their chars, again eBay ftw.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Bloodclot said:
he said something else.
5 Envenum
4 Stealth
4 Celtic Duel
4 Crit Strike
19 Dex

would be strong tho. but you never know with the new expansions. would be cool tho.

This one exists, however 5 envenom is next to useless, nothing you can't complete with item shifting.

fotm

Fledgling Freddie
Couto said:
You bet, economy on daoc changed alot.
Fukin insane peeps selling items for 50p or even more. IMPOSSIBLE for casual players to have that amount of cash, unless buying from eBay.

Catacombs with bring hope to casual players, finally they can level their chars from 1-50 with instanced quests, and NO I dont agree that its easy to level to 50 nowadays. One year or two ago it was easy to find groups to level, but now... bah all peeps PL their chars, again eBay ftw.
And since when do casuals need all the best and most expensive items?

raid

Can't get enough of FH
no necessary timesinks but new content to explore, no loot you must have to be able to compete but possible high uv jewelry which can fit and improve your template, traditional leveling made more fun, graphics update, etc

sounds like a really great expansion :)

Jergiot

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodclot said:
he said something else.
5 Envenum
4 Stealth
4 Celtic Duel
4 Crit Strike
19 Dex

+5 env is pretty useless, but ur right, prolly is other stuff with similar stats but diff skills wich would be nice :>

Night

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like a good expansion, and instanced rvr follows shortly after :) ...i hope

Jika

Fledgling Freddie
Edaemos said:
All reports ive seen say its a great expansion, it hits one of the core problems with DAOC and that was xping to 50, you can go from 1-50 alot quicker than pre Catacombs doing all the new quests and there are no unbalancing rvr items, all in all sounds like just what the game needed.

Hopefully next they will address rvr.

I dont think that leveling 1-50 is a biggest problem in daoc .. its rather easy .. in EVERY realm .. 2-3 days max .. if u sleep etc :p if u dont .. its faster ... biggest problem is unbalance in RvR .. and thats what they should change

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
Jika said:
I dont think that leveling 1-50 is a biggest problem in daoc .. its rather easy .. in EVERY realm .. 2-3 days max .. if u sleep etc :p if u dont .. its faster ... biggest problem is unbalance in RvR .. and thats what they should change

ye for those with the right tools.

but sum1 new to game is not gonna have that, catacombs is great for them and will help bring a new influx of people. and for the more experiened players it doesnt create any timesinks but gives new stuff to explore, and increase speed of lvling if u wanna do alts.

Couto

Fledgling Freddie
fotm said:
And since when do casuals need all the best and most expensive items?

Since casuals pay the same monthly fee and want to have a chance in RvR.
Or u think RvR its for powergamers only?

Edaemos

Fledgling Freddie
Jika said:

You can only do 1-50 in 2-3 days through powerlevel methods, new and alot of older players don't have access to these methods, catacombs addresses this, making xping easier and more attractive to both older and newer players which is good, because as daoc is atm its very unfriendly towards new starters.

As for rvr, yeah i agree there are issues and im sure mythic will listen, just hoping personally that any issues with catacombs classes, ie if warlocks are indeed to be found overpowered are addressed sooner rather than later so when we get catacombs here it won't be like the savage era.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
raid said:
sounds like a really great expansion :)

Totally agree - really looking forward to it. New classes also seem to have added a new dimension (warlocks sound nasty) - whole thing sounds like it's freshened up DAOC. Now they just need to balance pops/rvr - but then I think Mythic know this anyway.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
As many have already said, levelling aint a problem for the majority of players but it'll prolly help the casual/new players (if there is such a thing?)

What I'd like to see is making ToA MUCH faster

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom