Catacombs crashing

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Got the following problem, Catacombs keeps crashing after a while. It just freezes the whole comp, gives a last scratching beep from the soundcard and that's it then. No problem with SI/ToA client at all.

updated all drivers, defragged the HDD, ran a memtest... nothing helps.
Heat shouldn't be a problem, CPU/GPU barely pass 45°C under load.

PC is a
AMD 3200XP on a Asus A7N8X
2x 512 MB Ram DDR-400
Leadtek GF6600GT
SB Audigy 2ZS

anyone else got a problem with Catacombs crashing or/and a solution other than running the ToA Client ? :)

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
I would sergest any of the following, :)

1, Increase the amount of Virtual memeory you PC has to plat around with.
2, Upgrade to the latest Service pack for windows this is vary depending on which O/S you are running
3, Make sure you are running the latest SB Audigy 2 ZS control Pannel.. or have Norton Antivirus turned off while you are useing the soundcard as there are a lot of problems caused between them, If I remember the way to correct this is to have your Creative Control Pannel load b4 Norton.
4, Make sure you have a few GB of room spare on which ever drive has your PAGE(Virtual Memory)

thats all I can think of atm. :p

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
no, just Catacombs.

ToA Clients runs perfectly fine. Games like KotoR2, WH Dawn of War too.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Seems like your direct x9c isn't installed or properly installed, that's all i can think of really.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
don't think WoW would run without DX9c ;)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Pfft you didn't mention that ^^ , maybe reinstall the whole of catacombs? it's either display related which seems very small chance or something to do with the files...never the less very strange as it only does in catacombs.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Your the the only one cylian, ive had the same trouble and it normaly happens in the middle of rvr :(
not found a fix for it yet so if you find one please share :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Fefner said:
Your the the only one cylian, ive had the same trouble and it normaly happens in the middle of rvr :(
not found a fix for it yet so if you find one please share :)

mm, ran around in ToA zones for a while, no problem. Port to Bled, buff up, run out ... <zip>

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
tbh this is a very similar problem to mine, also my 6600gt is leadtek too so i reckon its to do with gfx card. only difference is i have a temp monitor running and it usually spikes in gpu temperature before doing this. are you checking your temp via the software that came with it like i am?
my temp spikes in cities/housing and places with water like goth

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
gpu is watercooled, that's why it doesn't go past 45°C anymore, used to be in the 80-90° range before. Rams got heatsinks additionally.

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
nice to know my problem can't be overheating related then if it is the same problem

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
little update:

moved one of my ram bars from slot2 to slot3, so 1-3 set now instead of 1-2.
hasn't crashed again yet, though, didn't have time for extended testing either.
but might eventually be worth a try.

on a sidenote, Cata with 512megs is horrible :eek7:

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
i upgraded my ram when i got new card tried using new 2 sticks, then old two, then all 4 in every possible combination, and the crashing continued :( tried playing a basic game, jedi academy works ok until i turn the settings up then overheats and crashes think i may have to invest in this watercooling thingy :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
makes the PC a whole lot more quiet aswell :)

but when in doubt if it's overheating or not, just open the case and put a fan at it. If it doesn't crash then, it probably is a heat problem.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
false hope, still keeps crashing :/

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Cylian this seems like a problem from theirside, perhaps requiel will read this and let mythic know about it, it could be that the game isn't supporting your card properly since yoshimo has the same type so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom