Catacombs classes info!

NetNifty

Fledgling Freddie
From http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1654.shtml:

Mythic said:
As most players of Dark Age of Camelot know, there is currently a disparate number of classes in the three Realms. The reasons for this go back into the shadows of Camelot's early design days, and even though it seems strange now, at the time we thought it was the right thing to do.

Now we are in a situation where Albion on almost all servers has a distinct advantage in simple terms of number of people playing characters in it. We've come up with some ways to alleviate this over the last few months, and today I'm going to tell you about another: in the upcoming Catacombs expansion, Albion will receive fewer new classes than the other Realms. In our current plan, Albion will receive one new class, Hibernia and Midgard will get two new classes each.

There are two reasons for doing this: the first is is to make up for the fact that Albion has one more class than Hibernia and two more than Midgard. Another reason is to motivate people to start new characters in Realms other than Albion to smooth out the population imbalances a little.

We'll start to release more specific information about the new classes in a few weeks, and of course we'll continue to look at population numbers and tester feedback about these plans and make changes where appropriate.

Interesting...

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm... sounds a bit like they've only just pulled this one out of their hats. It wouldn't surprise me too much if this was changed later if and when they decide that trying to passivly effect server/realm populations isn't going to work fast enough to please the average customer.

Oh well, still a couple of months before we get NF here so its not all bad (for us atleast :D)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Uh yeah, the fact that Albion has more classes is sooooo too its advantage. Here ya go Albion, have another utterly redundant class, that'll make things alright!;)

FFS Mythic! Wake up and do something to pro-active control server populations, rather than this wussyfied token gestures to get people to play other realms. They are nice and all, but they need to do something more to make someone who has invested a massive amount of time in X realm think twice about moving to another realm.

Using realm populations is not a sane way to balance classes!

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
if Albion is overpopulated, just close entry, so peeps cant start new alb chars.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
They are nice and all, but they need to do something more to make someone who has invested a massive amount of time in X realm think twice about moving to another realm.

totally agree...

noone who has invested alot of time in Mls/artis and realm rank is just gonna drop it all and move realms...especially if they wanna stay on the same server

Mythic have to offer something worthwhile for ppl to move realms and start a new character

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Mebbe they will give us a cyborg class? That oughta even things up a bit.

Savage clone hits you for 500(-20)...and again...and again...and one last time for 300(-25)
You use your laser heat beam eye vision and hit Savage clone.
Savage clone has been vaporised!

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Clipse said:
if Albion is overpopulated, just close entry, so peeps cant start new alb chars.

Well this is the option that makes the most sense to me, as a player.

However, where is your cut off point? If you shut the doors on realms that are already overcrowded, it won't make them less overcrowded until the population drops over time due to people leaving either for a) other realms or b) other games.

Or do you suddenly set an arbitrary population cap for ach realm (say about 2k) and then boot out players who joined that realm most recently until the population drops to that level? THat would be not too painful for booted players, providing they were given an equivalent class to each of their booted classes on another realm, with respective MLs, RPs and equip.

Of course, that would never happen. But people might move if that was offered.

The problem for Mythic, is once you advertise a game as having X realms on X servers, then people wille expect to be able to gain access to any of those realms. It would certainly turn new customers away if they realised that they couldn't play on a certain realm with their friends and ultimately Mythic is in this make to money.

While capping realm populations makes sense from a player point of view (unless of course, you were booted from your realm and didn't want to be), financially its probably not a good option for Mythic to take.

Then again, it does beg the question of if Mythic is losing more players with these supposed "balancing" suggestions than it would gain by introducing had caps for realm populations.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
hmm, I thought Mythic were going to make a smart move, by merging some alb classes to bring their utility inline with hib/mid classes.... but no, it's just a bullshit cover-up because the design team couldn't think of a second new class for Albion.

most classes = worst realm
least classes = easiest realm

It's only because NF discourages 1fg fights that Alb-rvr has picked up. Alb-fg cannot have the same utility as a mid/hib group. Now that people are running in larger numbers, more alb classes are getting the chance to rvr, so of course, Alb -rvr has improved because previously ignored abilities are now being used.

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
well...

Need more encouragement to play other realm tbh - with (as near as damnit 6 Lgm crafters etc etc on Albion, starting again on another realm should be made easier - cash transfer etc.).

Especially with the time sink that TOA is - absolutely no way would I ML all alts on Albion, never mind alts from other realms. Personally, it feels like a case of bad long term planning tbh..

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
im sure my self that Mythic shot them selves in the foot when they named the game "Dark age of Camelot" because that sorta made it appear that Albion is the realm to play, after all the game was named after its main city.

They should of called it "Dark ages" or something less bais to a certain realm.

anyhow back on topic, if albion gets the same amount of classes as the other 2 realms, as this is proposing then mythic need to adress the utility of the classes.
Which means if done right the 1 class for albion would be superly overpowered compaired to the other class in albion and the 2 other classes for the other realms would only be the same stuff just re-worked makeing them near redundent, which again doesnt encourage people to move realms.

for example
Albion gets some uber insta stun, insta mez speed type class with a pet, this makes sorcs a dead class and maybe even mincers they become fotm and everyone crys and leaves because albs overpowered.

Hib gets a tank with group chants and a stealther type with CC skills - both of these are already classes are about in hib, just intergrated into differnt classes so why would they get a group space? bards have chants and speed so the new tanks a waste of a group space, and the stealther just stealth zergs

Mid gets another tank but with basic healing skills and base buffs and a caster with pets spam and pbt - ok here the pet class might be good in PvE but whats the rune master gunna be but a waste of space? And the tanks no good in RvR due to savages and most mid groups having at least 3 seers

this is just an example to try get across what im saying :)

Doink-666

Fledgling Freddie
This game coulda been so much more tbh. Ok I agree with the classes thing but thats just the fact that theres more on alb...but so? Its not like like Hib and Mid are getting thrashed in RvR...or did I miss something here? :eek6:

Has there been a constant whine from the other realms about not haveing as many classes as Albion?

Has Mythic actually looked at the performances of Albion instead of number of people?

Will this really solve the matter at the end of the day?

It might do but imo it wont :m00:

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Doink-666 said:
Has Mythic actually looked at the performances of Albion instead of number of people?

has mythic actually looked at anything?

coz all i see is...more they add...more they fuck it up

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sendraks said:
Uh yeah, the fact that Albion has more classes is sooooo too its advantage. Here ya go Albion, have another utterly redundant class, that'll make things alright!;)

well. that depends on the class they are working on for albion.. they COULD acually NOT be insane and make a class thats acually good for something... (offcourse render every other class in that area totally useless, but what the hell) ;)

i hope midgard gets a chain wering pet class (NOT a caster with chain) more like mincer style (but with a castable pet) ;) and not neccecarily mincer ability and spells. i just want a chain wering pet class. dont care if its gimp or not.. i just want one

that would be so my new main if that happend... :eek:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Doink-666 said:
This game coulda been so much more tbh. Ok I agree with the classes thing but thats just the fact that theres more on alb...but so? Its not like like Hib and Mid are getting thrashed in RvR...or did I miss something here? :eek6:

think itrs more the other way around :)

Gorrion

Fledgling Freddie
Dont think the idea presented by mythic to deal with the over-populated Albion realm will have any effect at all on the realm population's.
As someone else said the Story of Camelot, and the knight's of the round table attracted alot of players to the albion realm in the young days of Dark Age of Camelot, and most player's just dont give up their Realm.
To even out the general balance of the game, that including all realm's, they should make it impossible to use the buffbot's as they are today. That alone would be a huge balancing factor.
To even out the the ballance between realm even more they could increase the numbers of guards that roam the frontiers, ie more guards on a underpopulated keep, and maby even more level's to the guards on top of any upgrade the keep may have, maby even put caster guards and healers in patrols.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
HAHA WEEEEEEEEEE WE GET 2 CLASSES U GET 1 NUH NUH ! <looks so proud>

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Doink-666 said:
Its not like like Hib and Mid are getting thrashed in RvR...or did I miss something here? :eek6:

Not yet, they will be in NF where population is so important. US albs have something like 75-80% of all relics across all servers over there now, as well as most enemy keeps.

What Mythic wants with this class thingy is to encourage people that want to try new classes to roll on another realm, instead of rolling a new class in the old one (1 new for albs compared to 4 total for other 2 realms mean that its a higher chanse you will find a new class you like in another realm than albion - maybe theyll even make the new albclass unatractive because of this) . Agree that it will probably not work all that well tho, since people will be unwilling to leave their crafters and money behind, as well as their guilds and friends.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The only way to make classes 'attractive' in the DAoC world, is to make them overpowered. So we won't see anything new in Catacombc, hib/mid get stupidly overpowered classes while albs get another gimp :p

How to make a class attractive for NF RvR?
Make sure it can kill zergs without effort... that's what the Catacombs classes will be built for.

Doink-666

Fledgling Freddie
yes thats the yanks though :p and as for other way round, thats just my opinion. tbh no one can really say who's gonna own who in NF anyhow :eek: if theres a person that can....can you also please tell me when the time that SoM wonted me camped :m00:

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
and i hope mids and hibs get a casting stealther so they will finally shut up

Gasoline

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
and i hope mids and hibs get a casting stealther so they will finally shut up

Just mids will do...and give him a class specific RA that wipes out any enemy within 2000 radius imo ;)
That'd be more attractive for Albion :clap:

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
imo a great way to solve population balance issues would be to allow those who are/would be willing to swap realm to TRANSFER there account to another realm.....

by that i mean for many people have ML10 classes with LVL10 artifacts...

if that person were able to DEELTE there classes and do some sort of special thing like the /charcopy on pendragon . and when they reload gam they can join hib/mid and when they crate there char. same as leveling instead of getting lvl20-30 they automatically get back there ARTIFACTS/ML'S and also the SAME amount of cash they had when they deleted from there over populated realm

if that was able im willing to bet there would be a SHIT load more people who would be willing to do that

the main reason people wont re-roll is as said above... most have numerous lvl 50's on there acc. no hardly anybody (if any1 at all) in other realm . and they dont wanna start again from scratch with no gold . at low lvl and when ding 50 have to do ml's . farm artifacts. and then farm the scrolls for there artifacts and then EXP there artifacts..

if summin like this was implimented . i know for one i would CONSIDER changing realm. as im sure many others would also.

and i think with the new catacombs classes . they will either a/ make the alb class so sucky NOODY will wanna roll one.. /b make the hib/mid classes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overpowered that EVERYBODY will wanna roll one. .

im actually expecting the /b .. and im sure the new mid/hib classes will have some uber or VERY cool gimmick to them to make people wanna play em :(

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
give us a hybrid with large shields and sum sort of cool looking wea....reavers :D

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Yup this makes sense...... try to balance the servers population then balance the character types..... this means more nerfs for Mids/Hibs because up till now Mythic has tried to balance the servers inherent imbalance by allowing more powerfull classes in the under populated realms.
Sooooo we can finaly put an end to the great cries of Midgard/ Hibernia...
that they play with superior skill .... they never zerg.....they dont have overpowered classes .... Mythic hates us...insta's dont make a difference.....u have Mincers... Albion toons have just as much utillity as our toons ....
Although I would add ..... this is about 2 and a half years too late.

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Darksword said:
give us a hybrid with large shields and sum sort of cool looking wea....reavers :D
Give cyborg with plasmabomb + kamikaze.

HWOAAAAAAAAAR HERE I COME AMG!

booooooooooooom :OD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom