+ caster skill

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Just curious before I go ahead with a template im making for my necro.

What exactly does + skill for casters do, if anything, in pve? At the moment I have just got extra power in my template instead of the + to skill.

Devilseye

Fledgling Freddie
well if your deathsight, and add +skill on that.
your nukes will be harder,
try it on a lvl 1 mob near Camelot :)

without skill: 400dmg..
with skill: 600 (or what ever ;))

dunno if it also increase the amount of power you get from a powertab.. but find out your self :)

Debuffs

Fledgling Freddie
think it increases dmg from base nukes and the variance on specs, not 100% sure tho.

Nix

Fledgling Freddie
Devilseye said:
well if your deathsight, and add +skill on that.
your nukes will be harder,
try it on a lvl 1 mob near Camelot :)

without skill: 400dmg..
with skill: 600 (or what ever ;))

dunno if it also increase the amount of power you get from a powertab.. but find out your self :)

Not correct, +skill doesn't increase your cap damage.

I'm not sure on this, but at least on every DD damage calculator, adding +skill increases your damage a bit (but not dmg cap). In example, going from 50 skill to 60 increases your damage around 5%. But as I said, I can't really confirm that, I just trust the calculators. And ofcourse taking your skill closer to the level of the spell your casting will decrease the dmg variance.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
i wouldnt bother with + to skills on a necro, as your armour degrades very quickly and once it reaches 70% you loose the + bonus.

Instead get MOF to increase the level of the spell (for resistance purposes) vs mobs / people. On a sight necro your vaccum spell is only lvl44 - so by going MOF2 - you increase the level of the spell to 50, and on a servant necro your aoe dmg spell is lvl47 - so MOF1 will increase it to lvl50.

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
+ skill make you hit harder with baseline nukes.
I have tested this with my WL (+-4 hex) vs my bb.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks guys, you've helped alot :)

Amorina

Fledgling Freddie
Kathal said:
+ skill make you hit harder with baseline nukes.
I have tested this with my WL (+-4 hex) vs my bb.

you have baseline hex? :eek7:

Brack

One of Freddy's beloved
afaik +skill decreases dmg variance so that you have a better chance to hit your cap-well have less of a variance on the dmg u do, but it doesn't increase the dmg cap

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
Amorina said:
you have baseline hex? :eek7:
Hmm, now you say it. . . . thats a bit odd :eek7:
I DID test the baseline nuke and the dam DID go up when I took my +4hex item on. Think I need to check once again.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Debuffs said:
think it increases dmg from base nukes and the variance on specs, not 100% sure tho.
It's the other way around if I get your right.

It increases dmg on spec nukes and lessen the variance on base nukes. Since spec nukes doesn't have any variance in dmg. It allso raised the dmg on base nukes btw.

Alaron

Fledgling Freddie
Zebolt is right. Here are two examples to illustrate the effect of +skill:

Example 1: Level 50 base-line DD.

- If your modified skill is less than 50, then +skill will decrease the damage variance, until your modified skill equals 50.
- If your modified skill is greater than or equal to 50, then +skill will increase your damage by a small amount. That is, it will bring you closer to your damage cap.

Example 2: Level 47 spec-line DD (base skill is at least 47).

- Any +skill will increase your damage by a small amount. That is, it will bring you closer to your damage cap.

Note: +skill will not increase your damage cap and it will not give you access to higher level spells.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
it's not quite like that...

unlike heals and buffs where variance is based on how much your spec is below the spell level (e.g. 35 rejuv spec casting a level 47 baseline rejuv spell has variance, 35+12 won't)

Spec Nukes are based on "spec vs enemy level"

i.e. 44 spec in smite, nuking a level 50 will have variance. 44+6 will have no variance.

Spec over the targets level gives an extra ~0.5% damage increase per point.

Not entirely sure if the variance on base nukes is like this as well :) would have to try 30+11 spec using a level 50 nuke on a level 40 monster for that but I imagine it's the same as spec nukes (or possibly two lots of variance e.g. variance based on the spec vs spell level + variance based on spec vs monster level)

Alaron

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
it's not quite like that...

unlike heals and buffs where variance is based on how much your spec is below the spell level (e.g. 35 rejuv spec casting a level 47 baseline rejuv spell has variance, 35+12 won't)

This works the same way for all base-line healing and damage spells. You will get variance as long as your modified skill is less than the level of the spell.

Spec Nukes are based on "spec vs enemy level"

This goes for base-line nukes as well.

i.e. 44 spec in smite, nuking a level 50 will have variance. 44+6 will have no variance.

I think your own level versus enemy level is factored in as well.

Spec over the targets level gives an extra ~0.5% damage increase per point.

That percentage depends on the type of spell and your modified skill. Modified skills greater than 50 will give diminishing returns.

Not entirely sure if the variance on base nukes is like this as well :) would have to try 30+11 spec using a level 50 nuke on a level 40 monster for that but I imagine it's the same as spec nukes (or possibly two lots of variance e.g. variance based on the spec vs spell level + variance based on spec vs monster level)

Both variances will probably come into play here.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
The first two things you quoted were the same statement (ok so I put in a paragraph break :p) so yer response doesn't make a lot of sense to me, most likely my fault there though ;)

I'll rephrase it for clarity :)

Specline nukes don't get variance from spell level, they get it from the target level.
Specline heals and buffs don't have variance because like baseline spells it's spell level vs spec level and for a spec spell your spec level is always >= spell level.

Baseline nukes get the same target level variance - whether they get an additional spell level variance is unproven, but likely (gifv test!)

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
Flim..... if you could get a doctor degree in daoc i think you would get it.....

A formula for everything:worthy:

Jobbegea

Loyal Freddie
Alaron said:
Zebolt is right. Here are two examples to illustrate the effect of +skill:

Example 1: Level 50 base-line DD.

- If your modified skill is less than 50, then +skill will decrease the damage variance, until your modified skill equals 50.
- If your modified skill is greater than or equal to 50, then +skill will increase your damage by a small amount. That is, it will bring you closer to your damage cap.

Example 2: Level 47 spec-line DD (base skill is at least 47).

- Any +skill will increase your damage by a small amount. That is, it will bring you closer to your damage cap.

Note: +skill will not increase your damage cap and it will not give you access to higher level spells.

if we assume +rr = +skillpoint aswell.

qama banshee (50+11+6 at rr7) had a cap damage of his basenuke of 806 damage. he dinged rr8 later so he gets 1+skill (50+18) and his cap damage raised for a whoopy 3damage : 809 damage.

so i assume +skill does affect cap damage, but not that much.

Alaron

Fledgling Freddie
Jobbegea said:
if we assume +rr = +skillpoint aswell.

qama banshee (50+11+6 at rr7) had a cap damage of his basenuke of 806 damage. he dinged rr8 later so he gets 1+skill (50+18) and his cap damage raised for a whoopy 3damage : 809 damage.

so i assume +skill does affect cap damage, but not that much.

It doesn't. This is easy to verify: find a grey con mob and nuke it: this is your damage cap. Now add or remove items with +skill bonus and nuke another grey con mob; you'll notice that the damage is the same.

Jobbegea

Loyal Freddie
just tested it on qama, +skill doesn't change cap.
but don't know why cap razed from 806 to 809 when it dinged rr8, he didn't spec anything in ra's when he dinged.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
sure, heres one :p

confused9ll.jpg

Gelid

Fledgling Freddie
In response to the question in the thread,

- Cap + skill if you have less than 50 from normal spec points.

- If you already have 50 skill or thereabouts (remember to factor in realm rank here as you get + 1 skill per realm rank), then + skill points should not be your priority. However, if you can afford to fit it into your template then by all means do so. Personally I decided to sacrafice some resists (one or two are @ 22%~~ and matter is at 15%~~), so that I could get at least some + skill in my template, as I like so know that I'm doing as much damage as is possible when nuking.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
as a wiz, the only thing i can do is damage...

I see no reason to gimp the only thing i can do by not going for full skill.

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
oki i somewhat tested this quickly few weeks ago, can't remember how it went exactly but was something like this:

+9 skill, mom4, aug acu 2, 820 damage.
+9 skill, mom4, aug acu 3, 840 damage.
+20 skill, mom4, aug acu 2, 880 damage.

can't remember the details etc but that's about it, roughly. you guys do the calculations, math and genius-stuff :D

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
Specline nukes don't get variance from spell level, they get it from the target level.

Baseline nukes get the same target level variance - whether they get an additional spell level variance is unproven, but likely (gifv test!)

First of all, lets define "spell damage variance"

from my knowledge that means hittin the same target with the same spell repeatedly then notice any variance in damage. If the damage varies (sp?) then we have the so called "spell damage variance"

now lets see when this occur:

1. for spec spells we have no damage variance
2. for baseline spells we have variance only when spec+skills+rr is lower than spell level.

to be more specific lets take my chanter's case
light spec: 22, +skills: 11, +rr:2, grand total: 35
base light nuke spell level: 50

i always have damage variace when casting the damn nuke because my spell level is way above spec+skills+rr

example2: my vw has a lvl45 base life tap and i get no damage variance because i have 38 spec arboreal + 7 arboreal skill + 2 rr and that means i have my arboreal line above the spell level.

conclusion: if u plan / have to use base spells then u have to cap +skills to lessen the variance

note: same goes for heals

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
anioal said:
First of all, lets define "spell damage variance"

from my knowledge that means hittin the same target with the same spell repeatedly then notice any variance in damage. If the damage varies (sp?) then we have the so called "spell damage variance"

now lets see when this occur:

1. for spec spells we have no damage variance
2. for baseline spells we have variance only when spec+skills+rr is lower than spell level.

to be more specific lets take my chanter's case
light spec: 22, +skills: 11, +rr:2, grand total: 35
base light nuke spell level: 50

i always have damage variace when casting the damn nuke because my spell level is way above spec+skills+rr

example2: my vw has a lvl45 base life tap and i get no damage variance because i have 38 spec arboreal + 7 arboreal skill + 2 rr and that means i have my arboreal line above the spell level.

conclusion: if u plan / have to use base spells then u have to cap +skills to lessen the variance

note: same goes for heals

oh ty for this info, i didnt know it worked like that. mhm now i can cap heals for my warden. rep for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom