Caster melee resists....

O

old.Elrond

I worked this out, need verification if its true....

A shadowblade with capped resists will have 26% slash for example, lower this to 16% as leather is slash vulnerable. Now a caster can have 26% slash resist, then another 10% absorb from their melee buffer..hence 36% slash as cloth is neutral to all..therefore the caster has 20% more melee resist than the shadowblade? This can go for all damage types too so they will basically have 36% resist to all melee damage which is 10% more resist to crush and equal for thrust as sb is resistant.

also, when self-buffed the caster also has only about 40-50 AF less than an assasin which isn't much...

This would seem to explain why I often melee other sb's in duel for more than I do casters, and also why self buffed, well kitted out casters from alb/hib are so damn hard and I only style on them for about 170.

Any comment? Have I gone grossly wrong at some point?

F

Fightersuntzu

you missed 10% absorb on the shadowblades leather armor :p

and the fact that casters only get half the AF that leather, etc wearers get, which factors into damage taken by the wearer(even with selfbuffs, im sure overall AF is lower as a caster than as a shadowblade).

O

old.Elrond

ah the absorb..still though, 26% + 10% absorb - 10% vulnerability is still 26 when caster is 36%..guess sb is equal or better on the other damage types tho.

I asked a few casters about their AF and they all said around the 510 mark....Im rr5 sb with full mp stuff and I have 562..consider most sb's dont have this they will be at about 540-550, tis not a huge difference. Guess i'm just peeved at doing under 200 damage on casters :)

T

thorungla

Casters get a 10% self absorb buff so the absorb of casters is same as leather wearers (thats why SB's love BD'ers and their abs buff). My SB has 550 AF and Rune has 500 AF not alot of difference. And as you have said with mid leather being vulnerble to slash I would say my SB is worse off than my Rune.

F

Fightersuntzu

And yeah, its true armor resistances screw things up a bit - look at hibernian scale - ok absorb but bad inherent resists.

Also, while for slash your SB may be worse than your runie, he'll have more thrust resist which is good fighting.......well, infils - considering only a few insane types (me) use other kinds of thrust weapons :p

so, its not all bad, and not all good. and you do have evade 7, quityerbitchin ! :)

T

thorungla

The rune has 6sec PBT which I'm sure absorbs more damage than the already nerfed evade 7 :D

S

Sharma

Still the fact stands that if your a caster and you run into an assasin its game over, if the PA chain dont kill ya poison will :)

O

old.linnet

Originally posted by sharma
Still the fact stands that if your a caster and you run into an assasin its game over, if the PA chain dont kill ya poison will :)

Pfft. Game over for who? :)

K

katt!

absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists
absorb != resists

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by thorungla
The rune has 6sec PBT which I'm sure absorbs more damage than the already nerfed evade 7 :D

omg
Let's all take a moment to play miniscule violins for nerfed evade7...

K

klavrynd

landshark with the overpowered yet not nerfed yet class, zzz

if absorb != resist, what is it then?
and how does AF factor into less damage?

(for once these are real questions since i don't know osv)

O

old.Elrond

they are the same surely, it would make sense.

resist 10% of 200 damage and you are hit for 180
=
absorb 10% of 200 damage and you are hit for 180

as for the AF maths I have no idea...only that the damn healer AF buff doesn't work and the cleric one does :(

(ps dont say its a display bug i've tested it..damage is the same :|)

K

katt!

Originally posted by thorungla
nerfed evade 7

c54188u5r32.jpg

L

Litmus

ok, well if resist = absorb imagine this

a plate guy with 34% absorb from his armour, 10abs buff from necro, 26%resist, and 50%absorb from bof. Now add it all up and you get 120%, and you could add even more to this like racial resist and Ra's like avoid pain.

now that makes a mr plate guy imune to all melle damage and afaik this is not possible even tho BoF(nerf it) more or less makes you imune to damage.

D

dracus

Afaik absorb is a % added to ur AF and not resist...thats why armsmen/pala have higher AF than hib/mid tanks...or have i been standin to close to the bong again?

Since AF also controls the amount of dmg done to u :)

Ack...dun care :p

/Dracus

O

old.Elrond

How about this....
armsman gets hit for 500 (you dont actually see this displayed)
absorbs 34% = 330 (This is the main damage you see)
he then resists 10% necro, 26% items, 50% bof
so armsman gets hit for 46 damage.
you see = 'You hit XXX for 46(-284)'

I'm pretty sure thats how it works, absorb is calculated first then resists are calculated from the damage taken after absorb, not stacked.

Applied to our sb example;
sb gets hit for 500
absorbs 10% = 450
resists 16% from items (slash vuln leather) = 378 damage
'You hit SB for 378(-72)'

caster gets hit for 500
absorbs 10% (self buff) = 450
resists 26% from items = 333
'You hit Caster for 333(-117)'

the reason I'm sure the damage you see is the one after the absorb is that you can hit someone with 0% resist on neutral armour and not get a (-) even though it absorbed some of the damage. EG if I hit a slash neutral person with no slash resist I'd just see something like 'You hit for 200 damage' even tho the armour absorbed say 10% for example.

Now as for AF I'm not sure how it works, maybe as some sort of modifier to this calculation?

C

civy

Originally posted by old.Elrond

as for the AF maths I have no idea...only that the damn healer AF buff doesn't work and the cleric one does :(

(ps dont say its a display bug i've tested it..damage is the same :|)

The cleric gets 2 AF buffs a base and a spec. The base AF buff adds nothing to someone wearing 100% qual AF102 armour.

So clerics are no different than healers.

O

old.Elrond

I see, but still they have a useful AF buff and healer doesn't :( but lets not talk about that! this thread is about how a cloth wearing wimpy caster gets hit for less melee damage than my sb! injustice I tell you.....etc

F

fanaticalace

Originally posted by dracus
Afaik absorb is a % added to ur AF and not resist...thats why armsmen/pala have higher AF than hib/mid tanks...or have i been standin to close to the bong again?

Since AF also controls the amount of dmg done to u :)

Ack...dun care :p

/Dracus

yeah.. i think this is true, altho im not sure if its added to AF to the exclusion of absorbing dmg - it migth be that it does both.

T

Tranquil-

Absorb is only a % bonus to AF on each armourpiece. AF isn't capped, it's displaybugs.

AF modifies damage done to you before resists. When BoF is started it isn't displayed, but it's taken into account in damage calcs.

S

Shaki/Aeis

Haha! nerf the mages defence, they are so strong:ROFLMAO:

O

old.Elrond

Well actually they can all soak up as much damage as an assasin and can QC their way out of most situations so yeah :)

Users who are viewing this thread