Caster damage and +magic skill

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, forgot how this works.

I made a template i'm very satisfied with, but it lacks +magic skills.

Does anyone know/remember how this affected the damage output and/or power useage?

ps: asking here since 80% of the VNboards trolls are pretty clueless and say what they want to believe instead of what is true.

Zerubiel Propane

Loyal Freddie
It increases the level of the spell iirc, but not the damage.
It works in addition to mastery of focus, which caps at 50.

In other words, players/mobs will resists your spells less often if you cap the skill modifiers.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Most people on here don't know what they are talking about either.

Get +11 magic skill in your template.

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
Get +11 magic skill in your template.

Sure when someone tells me for certain what it does. I know it has some damage modifier up to some point and that it affects power useage. But I want numbers.

Zerubiel Propane

Loyal Freddie
Sure when someone tells me for certain what it does. I know it has some damage modifier up to some point and that it affects power useage. But I want numbers.

Well one thing is for sure, and that is, that it does not increase the maximum damage on the spells.

Thats a myth.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
It increases the level of the spell iirc, but not the damage.
It works in addition to mastery of focus, which caps at 50.

In other words, players/mobs will resists your spells less often if you cap the skill modifiers.

I don't think this is true, it depends on the lvl of the spell wether a mob/player will resist it or not. + Magic Skill affects the damage variance of your spells, if you have a low spec in that spell line. Not sure if it increases maximum damage.

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Using baseline nukes below your level (or maybe its the level of the spell.. cant remember) will vary more with low + to magic skills afaik.

For an example, my runemaster is 48 sc and 22 darkness where i use the baseline level 50 nuke in darkness. The maximum damage will not be incresed with + more to skill but it will vary less.

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
Ok i did a quick test with light eld (47 light spec).

With +16 light magic i did 552 constant damage (lvl 46 spec dd).
With +12 light damage i did 542 constant damage (lvl 46 spec dd).

So according to this... It does raise max damage to specline damage?

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
I thought it did something like 0.5% more damage per +1 on spec nukes. afaik it does not effect power use on specs. Easy to test in /duel and do the maths anyhow.

Baselines it will reduce variance, and also power if total spec is above the lvl of the spell.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I never bothered with maxing + skill out on a spec nuker tested with +11 and +0 the difference is makes is a waste of util... baseline tho get +11 unless your rr11+ you can prob get away with less than +11 as a baseline nuker. That said I havent played daoc for months :<

Genedril

Part of the furniture
What Mael said.

Damn him, was typing that & got interupted by work :(.

Didn't someone one document here what the variance & power difference effects where as you increase spec for baseline spells? Def. seen it around somewhere but as I've been playing since beta so could have been bloody anywhere tbh.

Twoeye

Can't get enough of FH
What Mael said.

Damn him, was typing that & got interupted by work :(.

Didn't someone one document here what the variance & power difference effects where as you increase spec for baseline spells? Def. seen it around somewhere but as I've been playing since beta so could have been bloody anywhere tbh.

Yea there was a thread about it waaaaaaay back in time , i know i had it saved somewhere but cant find the bloody thing now .

(think it was back in 2003-2004 could been further back aswell)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Spec nukes it increases damage cap.

Baseline it decreases variance.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
its pretty easy to get everything in a caster template anyway :)

+101 int, 101 dex, +11 magic etc

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
its pretty easy to get everything in a caster template anyway :)

+101 int, 101 dex, +11 magic etc

Statswise yes. Some of your favourite toys... not so easy.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
standard when i played toa was cloudsong, tartaros gift, scalars, jacinas sash and the atlantis tablet methinks.

As a caster, you dont need much, just the replenish power. The shapeshifts are pretty cool too, but hardly a nessecity. :D

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
standard when i played toa was cloudsong, tartaros gift, scalars, jacinas sash and the atlantis tablet methinks.

As a caster, you dont need much, just the replenish power. The shapeshifts are pretty cool too, but hardly a nessecity. :D

Morphs are overrated these days anyway :< any pvper with half a brain cell can still work out whos who/class within seconds. The only use morphs ever had was old shades and old tablet :( other than that its utterly pointless.. give old croc mode back :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Scalers still means a lot to me, took me ages to get Mad Tales 3 :<

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I thought it did something like 0.5% more damage per +1 on spec nukes. afaik it does not effect power use on specs. Easy to test in /duel and do the maths anyhow.

Baselines it will reduce variance, and also power if total spec is above the lvl of the spell.

Yep, that's the way it works =)

I think baseline you need 2/3 of the spell's level in the line to have no variance, but I'm not sure about that.

Basically wether you have +8 or +11 or whatever doesn't really matter for speclines. It's interesting for baseline, though =)

…and regarding the "what you need": +AF is nice, shapeshifts aren't a must and neither are many power replenish tools in the main temp. After all you can just use the dragonbuckler as shield and then you have the staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom