Case Mods

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Been thinking while i was bored at uni about doing a etched window in the side of my case.

Then i got thinking why not fill it with a bit of liquid - so then i thought about making a little resevior about an inch thick covering the window - and half filling it with coloured water. THEN i thought about sticking a few plastic fish in it, then i realised they wouldnt move. Then i thought about getting a fish tank air pump and using that.

So im calling people with fish tanks, what do you need for your air pump is it just a standard pump or do i need tubes? and pumps and other shit?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
You get a small external pump, a length of thin hose and maybe a nice long airstrip or stone to make the bubbles go up in a curtain or whatever.

Of course this has already been done.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
kool, although i think lian li could have done a better job, and counter sunk it so it didn't look like a tank glued to the side of the case, and that the actual case was full

go for it dude :D

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Yea im thinking of counter sinking it - but would have to do it when i buy my case - however it might have to run off mains power.

where would i get said pumps and pipes? just go to a pet shop?

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
yeah, any decent aquarium/petshop

when i was a kid you coukld get these electrric fish tanks, i made teh fish swim around somehow, can't remember how though, i think magnets were involved

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:
Yea im thinking of counter sinking it - but would have to do it when i buy my case - however it might have to run off mains power.

where would i get said pumps and pipes? just go to a pet shop?
The only problem I see is that if you want to pump air in it you need samewhere for the air to escape or you need a losed pump circuit.

So you are either going to have some verry humid air comming out of the tank or you'll need to mod a pump to be able to close the circuit.
Standard aquarium pumps will mostlikely fail if you start pumping humid air thru em.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
imho, its both a nice and daft idea. First, the bubbles (I believe) supplement the exchange of atmospheric oxygen by providing bubbles, but importantly, by disturbing the surface - the surface area to volume ratio is critical for bulk mass transfer - your surface to volume ratio will utterly suck, and I'm not convinced the bubbles will oxygenate enough to support piscine life as we know it :p I'm not convinced by the Lian Li mod - I reckon youlll get loads floaters with that kit.

If this is the case, you can get a lil stone block that disperses the bubbles - I would have one of these close by, just in case you find your fish have a tendency to float on their sides.

Try some neon tetras for starters - they are cheap and nicely colorfull, but they need keeping warm (say say 22 deg C)...and good luck :clap:

dont forget....fish tanks get shit loads of algae on the glass...you can buy chemical algicides, but the best way is to scrub - so when your making your mod, leave enough room (width) to get a scraper in :m00:

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
New train of thought is that im gunna water cool it - and use the resevoir to look cool some how :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom