Carpet Question

G

I am in the process of decorating my lounge room, and i need a new carpet, i have a bitchamin/concrete floor, the carpet down atm is a felt backed one with no undrerlay and has done me ok for about 5 years, i am on a limited budget now (read that as just bought an xbox 360 and some games) so i was thinking about getting a rollend hessian backed carpet, now thats ok but do i need the underlay, the bloke at the shop said i needed it as the carpet would not be guranteed (5 year stain gurantee) he also said it was british standard to put down underlay, which i thought was a bit suss, any ideas?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
My mates a carpet fitter.

I would say hesian backed carpet then glued around the edges would be the way to go. You can have underlay and the carpet strips would have to be nailed into the concrete, I did do that in my quarry tiled floor and it was fine.

British standard just means its the norm.

Go another carpet shop imo.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Underlay might be a good idea. It will level the uneven concrete/wooden floor and make it more comfortable to walk on. It will also stop the carpet breaking up (eventually) depending on the underflooring.

P.s. Love the spelling of Bitumen (bitchamin). Still laughing :)

I forgot to add that I am not a carpet layer like Trems buddy so I may be talking absolute cack :)

G

my point is thought that i have a cheap carpet down atm and thats not got flat or anything with not having any underlay.........

and i don't see how not having underlay can cause the anti stain warranty to be invalid, the underlay is underneath the carpet, how can that work then, i spill some red wine on the carpet and cant get i:puke:t out, then the bloke comes round and says, well, it doesnt work coz you aint got any underlay down.... go figure.

felt back or hessian back?

leggy

Probably Scottish
The underlay soaks up a proportion of the spillage I presume.

The guy sounds like he's talking from a script anyway. I'd listen to Trem's mate.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I think the carpet guy just want's to double his money as the underlay can cost the same price as the carpet...

I would go with the hessian back as I would think its harder wearing on a concrete floor than a felt backed one.

Trem

Well what Leggy says is the way I went. Quarry tiled floor that was uneven and hard so I had underlay because I wanted it(not because some salesman told me to have it). It did indeed level the floor out and made it nicer to walk/wank on.

By the way Leglar, the mate I am talking about is Nago so it may be best to totally ignore everything I say about carpets.

Still laugh about the time his mrs tripped over some carpet at the top of their stairs which sent her flying to the bottom and broke her hip....while pregnant. She had to spend the rest of her pregnancy on crutches :D

Is it just me that finds that funny?

:(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I can't believe its come to this; talking about carpets :rolleyes: You'll be discussing ISAs next...

G

jupiter Maxi ISA total investment £7,000 looks good.....

although i like my special rate hacker tracker popper blocker

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I would always have underlay with a carpet. It helps insulate against the cold floor, it will help reduce the size of spills, and it will generally feel much nicer to walk on.

Bitchamin rofl. :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
Bloody hell Trem don't let Nags fit your carpet. It'll get covered in pie and stella stains.

Don't tell him I said that... he looks hard. Mostly.

Trem

He gave Lester a bear hug and almost made his eyeballs pop out.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
you should get that fake wooden floor that they have in ski lodges. my mate has it in his room and it looks shit hot, and you can easily wipe stains up off of it. it's quite cheap as well and it's easy to lay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom