Games Cardboard + cubes

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Any other boardgamers out there get their jollies pushing cubes around? I've been a bit of a geek with it all for a few years now, and my shelves are slowly getting filled with more games than books. I just wonder if any of you fine folk know the delights of a meaty Euro or a dripping-with-theme Ameritrash?

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I don't currently have a lot of games but certainly a big fan. Been watching every episode of Table Top on YouTube. Always wanted to play both Pandemic and Settlers, they seem like great fun.

For the most part I've been playing Munchkin and a lesser known game called Sequence

My fingers are itching to start play Warhammer again but i currently don't have anyone to play with. Or an army for that matter :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Got the usual; Zombies!!!!, munchkin(and added content), battle cattle, FRAG, cthulhu gloom etc.

Good boardgame session can beat a good PC gaming session any day.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Got a love for it again over Christmas - played hours and hours of Carcassonne and Risk (being a massive chess player, I hate risk).

Thinking of getting that coop Lord of the Rings game and Agricola next.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
settlers of catan, heroquest, heroquest advanced, dreadfleet, space hulk, call of cthulhu; arkham horror, baker street, carcassone, cluedo, guards! guards!, mordheim, and about 3 different chess sets is all i can see from here :(

also, Munchkin is fucking WIN ! and quick, as some things can take hours

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Got a love for it again over Christmas - played hours and hours of Carcassonne and Risk (being a massive chess player, I hate risk).

Thinking of getting that coop Lord of the Rings game and Agricola next.
If you want Agricola, maybe check out Caverna instead. Same designer, similar game play but it's like Agricola+. For cheap but good co-op have a look at Forbidden Island and Desert. Both easily available too, waterstones and the like.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Evidently battlestar galactica is great too, one of those werewolfish types where players try to win together, but some are cylons :p

leggy

Probably Scottish
If you want Agricola, maybe check out Caverna instead. Same designer, similar game play but it's like Agricola+. For cheap but good co-op have a look at Forbidden Island and Desert. Both easily available too, waterstones and the like.

Ok will check it out, thanks.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
old.Tohtori said:
Evidently battlestar galactica is great too, one of those werewolfish types where players try to win together, but some are cylons :p
It is, yeah, but more fun. Convincing everyone the Admiral is a cylon and getting him put in the brig is hilarious.

You can get my favourite hidden traitor games for not many pounds, check out The Resistance or the newer version, Avalon. Those with a few beers and a good group are awesome, lots of accusations :)

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Risk player here, played a game just last Saturday.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
BSG is anything but untested, unless you mean by you of course :) It's regularly at the top of most peoples' traitor game list. I want to get hold of Betrayal At House On The Hill at some point, some crazy shit going on in that one.

As dry as some of the themes sound, some of the best stuff isn't the first thing you'd go for. Some of my faves for example - Castles of Burgundy; building a small pricedom in medieval France (this game is awesome btw, especially good with 2). Hamburgum; building cathedrals in 17th century Hamburg, woo! (with the worst box art in history). Macao; Trading in south China in 17th Century.

That said, there's a lot of good stuff with more exciting theme. Merchants & Marauders is a fantastic Pirate game. Last Will is another of my favourites, which is basically the board game equivalent of Brewster's Millions :) Worker Placement is my favourite mechanic, I'd really recommend Stone Age, and when you get the hang of that one, The Manhattan Project. Worker placement building atomic bombs! Oh and if you want something which is guaranteed to play quick, get Escape: Curse of the Temple. Realtime dice-rolling madness played to a soundtrack which only lasts ten minutes :)

Here's my collection.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
BSG is anything but untested, unless you mean by you of course :)

yea i mean i tend to play them with other people before i buy them :D

especially when some of them are upwards of £60

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Got Munchkin for easy couple of hours laugh with your mates. Infiltration and Netrunner are both good.

I'm a fan of Vlaada Chvatil tho - Space Alert is the most fun I've ever had with a board game. Ever.

It's a team based game (cooperative) where you fight inbound baddies star trek style - you warp into space, attempt to survive (hard), warp out. Takes ten minutes to play that and it's not *quite* enough time to organise yourselves. The rest of the game is figuring out what you actually did, compared to what you thought you did.

Get the fan-created web add-ons - the game comes with a DVD (which has been ripped and replicated on the web) - and some guy put together a turn calculator which takes your moves and animates them on your laptop for you - which *really* speeds things up and gives a fantastic visualisation of what your team actually did. It's f00king great!

The bird bought me Galaxy Trucker by the same guy but haven't had a spare weekend yet :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I've been after galaxy trucker for a while, it's always so expensive when it's actually in stock though.

Table Top (Wheaton) fans should check out Shut Up & Sit Down, very funny.

I'm the same with Stefan Feld as you are with Vlaada :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Still play this from time to time with friends:

m410443a_60010699001_ENSHBoxFront_873x627.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The bird bought me Galaxy Trucker by the same guy but haven't had a spare weekend yet :)

Just had the spare weekend. It was fucking great! :D

Been such a busy year I've not had much chance but now the weekends are getting wet and cold this is going to happen a lot more.

Do it @babs - the anniversary edition. You get the expansions (though you won't be playing them for a while until you're used to the normal version of the game).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom