Help Car radios

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hi. I'm looking for a double height head unit that has multi cd capability built in. Going from this:

dsc01015hx3.jpg

which is, apparently, a Clarion CY13C (in a Qashqai). Is that a standard double height thingy? I was thinking I could put a CD changer in the boot and run it through this head unit but it doesn't have any AUX input choices at all from what I can see.

So I'm after a double height system with an integrated cd changer and a normal sized screen. All the double height ones I have seen so far have had massive screens and 1 cd slot. OR maybe I can find a single height unit with a single height changer to go underneath it? It would be better if it was accessible. MP3 playback, iPod connectivity etc are all non essential (but probably standard nowadays anyway).

Thanks!

(as you can probably tell I know *nothing* about car audio)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i havent done any of this for quite a few years. however, i do recall being told :

front panel + changer in boot / under seat was the best way.
you can get facia panels for cars if you end up with a smaller one - wasnt sure if u wanted a double height or just that its the size of the hole ?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah I just thought it would be nice and neat if it was a double height with the changer in the head unit. I guess we can blank the panel if it won't look completely wank (not that I'm really that bothered about how it looks). :)

I just couldn't find the double-height-with-changer-built-in option anywhere (Clarion, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic websites so far) and wondered if they existed...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You can buy these CD's that have a Aux cable coming off it, I don't know how it works, nor do I care to find out how it works, I just know, it works, pretty well, if that's what you're after.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't bother with a CD changer, you always get bored of what's in there, and changing the discs is a pain. Buy a decent stereo with an Aux input (for your mp3 player or phone), or one with an SD card slot.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah I have one that links up via line-in, ipod or USB stick. The software to put stuff on the USB is shit, but you can just leave a 16gb jobby in it and always have something good without changing.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Questions have to be asked of why you're driving a Qasqai.
It's a (potential) Christmas present for my mum. So there.

And, as much as I would like to force her into the world of digital music (by that I mean mp3s and stuff), it ain't gonna happen. CDs is where it's at as far as she is concerned so a CD changer under the seat or in the boot is the only option.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So.... you're using somebody else's present? Isn't that a bit rude? :D

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'd certainly go with what was said above - go for a standard head unit with a fascia bought for the car. Most double height fascia's use the space for a storage cubbyhole so it doesn't look bad at all. I have a reasonably basic Kenwood (ugh) head unit which was about £80 this time last year which accepts aux input via 3.5mm jack and USB which reads any USB storage device. I use a 16GB usb stick in it atm which you just copy mp3's to as you see fit (no special software involved), sorted into folders for albums etc. I intend to change the usb stick for a 60gb usb hard drive in the very near future which will sit in a very similar cubbyhole as described above :)
Best thing about it - no copying crap CD's or leaving your music collection in the car.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not sure that's large enough to be Double DIN is it? Looks an odd size to me but maybe that's just the layout.

Don't take this the wrong way, but frankly I wouldn't bother. CD changers are on the way out (I don't think clarion make them anymore).

Two of those "store your CD" wallets in the glovebox for the win.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I tried my phone into the car's AUX jack but it sounds REALLY quiet :/

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Since this is Wij: Stop using shit instead of a cable.

Starman

Part of the furniture
I upgraded the head unit in my old Ford Focus to a Kenwood model with a fascia panel and was quite happily using a 16gb Sandisk Blade (Tiny flashdrive) which worked very well. When that car got written off via some fool rear-ending me. I now have '59 Fiesta which has a lovely built-in USB port which works perfectly with the same flash drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom