Car Audio advice

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Righty, I'm getting me a new car this week, and I want to spend some money getting a decent head unit. I fancied a Dension unit for a while, but it appears that it doesn't do AM, so thats looking unlikely.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3073

I quite fancy something like that. I hate head units with 8 billion shiny little buttons that do feck all, this Sony unit looks minimalist which is what I like. I would like to combine it with their 10 disc changer, which supports mp3 discs, so thats about 100 albums of music in the car or thereabouts.

Does anybody have any advice, I'd quite like to get one with a DAB tuner if possible, mainly for better Radio 5 reception?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
Righty, I'm getting me a new car this week, and I want to spend some money getting a decent head unit. I fancied a Dension unit for a while, but it appears that it doesn't do AM, so thats looking unlikely.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3073

I quite fancy something like that. I hate head units with 8 billion shiny little buttons that do feck all, this Sony unit looks minimalist which is what I like. I would like to combine it with their 10 disc changer, which supports mp3 discs, so thats about 100 albums of music in the car or thereabouts.

Does anybody have any advice, I'd quite like to get one with a DAB tuner if possible, mainly for better Radio 5 reception?

i assume you were looking at the Denison ones because of their iPod functionality? If so then probably Alpine are your best bet if you want iPod functionality and DAB. Unfortunately, their head units are a bit 'Tokyo by Night' :(

My 350Z has a great sounding Bose unit, but the geniuses at Nissan UK decided to spec a version without an Aux in lead (Zs in the US get one), so I can't integrate my iPod without a whole new unit, which is shit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I don't have an iPod, but the Dension head unit has a built in HD, so its like jamming your iPod into the cassette slot with a hammer if you like.

I've looked at the Alpines, unfortunately they're plagued with massive displays, shitty little buttons, and oodles of tat. Not my thing at all. Why the hell do they make them so colourful and flashy? I'm watching the road when I drive, not the fascia!

Chilly

Balls of steel
as long as you have an aux in on teh back of the head unit you can always take a wire into your glove box (or somewhere else equally hidden) to plug yer [mobile audio device] into - that head unit seems pretty nifty, specially with the built in HDD but that will probably lead to fragmentation of your music collection and ultimately frustration which you will,of course, take out on us poor sods ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sony head units are shit. Don't buy one. If you already have

HA-HA.

Kenwood > all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom