Motoring Car auctions

Gray

FH is my second home
So years ago when i wanted a different car, my dad took me to some relatively local car auction places, it was always a good day out seeing some of the cars going through, but i never really found anything which i wanted within my price range.

In the end though i went to The British Car Auctions in Manchester on a recomendation from one of dads closest friends, it was huge in comparison to the small time ones i had been to in the past. Sure enough, i ended up finding a Ford Focus which i bought.

It's been a few years now though, now without the guidence of my dad nor keeping in contact with his old friend, but i have been keen to change my car once again to something with a smaller engine and what not to keep the insurance and tax down.

Was looking on Auto-trader and what not, but again the prices didn't interest me, then i remembered about the BCA. Does anyone really recommend usage of car auction places, with the added bonus that they're clearly a very reputable auction site. Since i probably won't be able to make it down there i just noticed they have an online auction too, which would be just perfect as it would be live at the same time as the auction in person... Only downside being you can't thoroughly inspect the vehicle yourself...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The inability to inspect is an issue. I bought a car from BCA (many, many years ago) in Brighouse and took a long a mate who was a mechanic. We rejected a lot of crap before I got a shortlist of acceptable cars and even then we did a pretty thorough run around in that hour you get after the auction. (Car turned out to be totally unreliable anyway, but since it was Italian that was probably inevitable).

One thing to check is if you have additional rights via the online auction. I'm not sure if the Distance Selling regulations apply to online car auctions, but if they do it would mean you have seven days to reject the car. Have a look in their Ts&Cs and maybe give your local trading standards a bell.

Gray

FH is my second home
I'm going to head down to Manchester finally this Tuesday since i'm on a bit of a holiday from work, starting to build up a bit of a shortlist of cars judging by what's on the BCA website and take that along with me.

Want to make sure i select a car which is in the right insurance bracket for me, but this has been a real confusing situation because websites and sellers both differ in what they think is correct for the car model insurance grouping.

Also i found out i couldn't use their online-auction service anyway, seems that's only for business' and corporate users. :'(.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Car auctions near me offer a 7 day trail for £150 so you can try it out and get it looked over the, £150 is gone if you keep the car or not. Worth it if you are dropping a few grand but not if its a £500 bargain. Seemingly a few places offer similar so it might be worth looking at.

Gray

FH is my second home
Went to auctions, good fun the hours seem to fly by.

Got there late because taxi drivers are complete fucking morons, first one didn't know where the trainline was were i got off the train, then when he finally arrived the prick dropped me off at the wrong auction-section so had to walk it to get to where i needed to go. Needless to say i got there late and some of the cars i had compiled on the list had already been sold.

The experience was fun though, attempted a few bids but was outbid on the ones i was looking at, but might go again next week if i can. But one of my local car markets has recently put up a Skoda Fabia and i'm wanting it. Anyone know if they're any good? The only issue i have is that i'm 6'2, but Skoda seem so roomy that it shouldn't be an issue.

Other than that, looking at Ford Focus', Fiesta, Mazda 2, Toyota Auris, Peugeot 207/308, Seat Ibiza or an Astra - Price range <£5k and preferably from 2008+.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
All boring though. Get yourself something interesting like a Porsche 944. Cracking motor, very cheap, and instantly resellable if you get bored. Which you won't.

Gray

FH is my second home
Issue with those cars is the massive insurance costs', i've been hoping to get it down to £300-400 which i've done now, but these high-end cars even cheap all come in at £800-1000, as much as i'd love them!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
All boring though. Get yourself something interesting like a Porsche 944. Cracking motor, very cheap, and instantly resellable if you get bored. Which you won't.
and completely crippling if it needs any work done to it or any parts

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Yeah good idea, go from something up to a 1.6 to something closing in on 3l :p

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Meh, I'll take £1,000 a year servicing over £1,000 a year depreciation any day.
hehe which is ok if you have a grand a year to spend. But not if you havent. Not everyone can afford that

Punishment

Resident Freddy
My dad is mad to go selling my 2002 Octavia at an auction in Clairemorris, im dubious at best tbh, would want atleast a grand for it as i need it to tax the new car for a year

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
So years ago when i wanted a different car, my dad took me to some relatively local car auction places, it was always a good day out seeing some of the cars going through, but i never really found anything which i wanted within my price range.

In the end though i went to The British Car Auctions in Manchester on a recomendation from one of dads closest friends, it was huge in comparison to the small time ones i had been to in the past. Sure enough, i ended up finding a Ford Focus which i bought.

It's been a few years now though, now without the guidence of my dad nor keeping in contact with his old friend, but i have been keen to change my car once again to something with a smaller engine and what not to keep the insurance and tax down.

Was looking on Auto-trader and what not, but again the prices didn't interest me, then i remembered about the BCA. Does anyone really recommend usage of car auction places, with the added bonus that they're clearly a very reputable auction site. Since i probably won't be able to make it down there i just noticed they have an online auction too, which would be just perfect as it would be live at the same time as the auction in person... Only downside being you can't thoroughly inspect the vehicle yourself...

BCA is great, a couple of miles away from me and some great bargains to be had. Alot of repo cars but also a ton of fleet cars at the 3 year mark with under 50k on the clock.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Went to auctions, good fun the hours seem to fly by.

Got there late because taxi drivers are complete fucking morons, first one didn't know where the trainline was were i got off the train, then when he finally arrived the prick dropped me off at the wrong auction-section so had to walk it to get to where i needed to go. Needless to say i got there late and some of the cars i had compiled on the list had already been sold.

The experience was fun though, attempted a few bids but was outbid on the ones i was looking at, but might go again next week if i can. But one of my local car markets has recently put up a Skoda Fabia and i'm wanting it. Anyone know if they're any good? The only issue i have is that i'm 6'2, but Skoda seem so roomy that it shouldn't be an issue.

Other than that, looking at Ford Focus', Fiesta, Mazda 2, Toyota Auris, Peugeot 207/308, Seat Ibiza or an Astra - Price range <£5k and preferably from 2008+.

The newer Fabia's are pretty decent, especially if you get a higher specced one. The basic is a bit too basic for my liking but still Volkswagen reliable.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
My dad is mad to go selling my 2002 Octavia at an auction in Clairemorris, im dubious at best tbh, would want atleast a grand for it as i need it to tax the new car for a year

Taxi drivers love the Octavia for obvious reasons, in good nick and reasonable mileage you should fetch a grand or more privately. The auctions is a big risk though unless you set a decent reserve and that might stop it selling fullstop.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
It's worth €1,000-1,200 or so it's only a 1.4 but thats not a bad thing on the Irish market as the tax is not too bad on a 1.4 and it get's 43mpg permanently

Gray

FH is my second home
Going to see if i can get the Skoda Fabia tomorrow, hoping that they can do a part exchange too to lessen the damage on the wallet, went to see it tonight afterwork it looks fab.

The cars at the auction were very nice indeed, but sadly just ended up a few thousand out of my price range.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's a Skoda, there's nothing fab about it. You might as well drool over a washing machine.

Get an MX-5.

Gray

FH is my second home
Wait, i remember all the shit Summo got for owning an MX-5 years ago.

Not a friggin chance.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That "shit" comes from people who know nothing about cars. My sister was similarly dubious when I first proposed the idea to her. Now she'd rather remove her arms than get rid of her MX-5. It's a classic.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Skoda are a pure workhorse, my Octavia did me for 5 years w/o missing a beat 43mpg even though it was a 1.4 engine in a huge body only things i had to do was timing belt 2 electric window regs 1 electric window motor and a steering rack+power steering pump.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Skoda are a pure workhorse, my Octavia did me for 5 years w/o missing a beat 43mpg even though it was a 1.4 engine in a huge body only things i had to do was timing belt 2 electric window regs 1 electric window motor and a steering rack+power steering pump.

Punishment

Resident Freddy

Punishment

Resident Freddy

Gray

FH is my second home
So what you're trying to say is that Skoda build workhorses?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They are a good reliable and cheap car, nothing sexy about them but if you wanted sexy then you need to spend more and be prepared for higher insurance plus repair bills.

Tom is right though, the MX5 is a cracking little car, wouldn't mind one myself and I have only driven one for less than a mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom