Film Captain America: The Winter Soldier

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just watched it; really rather good. Very different to the first one. I've not been keeping up with Agents of SHIELD but I'm curious about how this film will change the show because it ends up with some pretty big changes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I hated the first one but if this is different I'll have to give it a go. Is it less childish than the first? Childish might not be the right word. I found it too cheesy and a bit cringeworthy.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Agree with ileks but I'm going to check this out tomorrow. Was just waiting for someone to rate it.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I won't be posting spoilers, this unfortunately limits a lot what I can put here. However, if you intend to see it I strongly suggest avoiding anything with background info, even casual articles because most film press don't know when they're really just screwing up a story for folks in advance.

Anyway, onwards.

First, the end:

There are two cutscenes in the closing credits rather than one. The first cutscene about halfway through the closing credits is good. If your bladder is giving you trouble don't bother to stick around for the second, its ok to see but doesn't really get the juices going as by that point you know what's going on.

Ok, going back:

Overall its pretty decent fun. Don't get me wrong, its pure cheese with logic holes the size of epic acne craters belonging to the target demographic. Good action, some great fight choreography. Bit light on the ol' one-liners. The 3D is a bit poo. Very little effective usage made of it so I wouldn't worry about seeing it in 2- or 3- D since the 3D didn't really add anything much to it. I liked the Captain's struggle with trying to be a good guy in a murky world though they don't spend too long dwelling on this and you know that despite any inner turmoil, Captain America is gonna keep on slugging away on behalf of lovers of apple pie.

The story has a bit of skulduggery but I think the makers were afraid to risk going too far with it, which is a shame. I was expecting a bit more.

I was quite surprised by Scarlett Johansson, she's pretty good in this. I mean its not like she's stealing scenes from Shakespearean actors but she does tend to rather upstage those around her.
Anthony Mackie is pretty good.

The usage of the good Captain's shield is fun, even if its usage of the laws of physics leave something to be desired. By that I mean actual physics.

At one point one of the bad guys references a hit list and they casually throw in a name of one of the Marvel universe that is getting their own movie fairly soon. I know its nerdy but I do like the way Marvel throw these things into their films.

Currently this film is riding high at 8.6 on IMDb, which is I think very misleading. 7 or so out of 10 at best. Its a good popcorn muncher but most of the plot stuff is resolved by 2/3 of the way through the film and after that its just more action with predictable outcomes. That said the action is good to watch.

The early reveal is something that bugs the shit out of me in films. JJ Abrahms did it in Star Trek Into Darkness and the same thing happens here. Everything is given away that wee bit too early and it means you're left with on-rails stuff with somewhat predictable outcomes from there on, even if there are details that might be interesting and action that is suitably epic to watch. It takes away a lot of the OMG WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN??!ONEONE!!1 etc. It didn't make the film crap, it just diminished it a bit.

I enjoyed my night at the cinema. Popcorn was munched, Iceblast was sucked and mayhem enjoyed.

Stan Lee appears. Stan Lee trundles out his line. Stan Lee zimmers off stage. Again, I know these bits are cheesey but I will be sad when he eventually croaks because its one of those familiar things I JUST LIKE. He looks positively decrepit and ready to pop at any time but in fairness he's looked like that for the last 20 years. Hopefully we've got another 20 years of cameos to go at least.

Oh yeh, one last thing. You could spot the proper nerds in the cinema because they knew to stick around for the second closing credit cutscene when everyone else was trooping out after the first. A few that were plodding out sensed something was up and some puttered back to seats. Why were there people not moving? Do they know something we don't?
Yes. Yes, we did.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
However, if you intend to see it I strongly suggest avoiding anything with background info, even casual articles because most film press don't know when they're really just screwing up a story for folks in advance.

Really good advice, even if many moviegoers know not to read -anything- about a movie they might like.

Was bit of a challenge to reply to that without reading your post though ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Really good advice, even if many moviegoers know not to read -anything- about a movie they might like.

Stopped buying Empire magazine about a decade ago because the writing changed considerably for the worse.

I remember their first blatant "spoiler but we don't care" where they told you the exact end of Speed. Their thinking was that because it was a dumb by-the-numbers action movie they could say what they like. But because it's a dumb by-the-numbers action movie any sort of surprise is even more important to preserve.

Nowadays the whole mag is barely distinguishable from an advert that you pay (a lot) for...

FUCKING SPOILER TAGS YOU TIT :)

Yeah, I skipped the post because I was sure he'd give the whole game away.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
But because it's a dumb by-the-numbers action movie any sort of surprise is even more important to preserve.

Agreed. Winter Soldier has some neat plot stuff but because there's not too much in the way of surprises its really crucial to keep away from anything that would spoil it if you want half a chance of enjoying it.

I stay away from most FH film/TV threads for that reason until after I've usually seen something because there's always at least one dickhead that will try to justify it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Eh? You mean Roo's post? I didn't see any spoilers in it at all!

Yeah I didn't read it because he started with

'So ... THE END!!!'

or something similar... I was too scared to read it and check.

DaGaffer

At one point one of the bad guys references a hit list and they casually throw in a name of one of the Marvel universe that is getting their own movie fairly soon. I know its nerdy but I do like the way Marvel throw these things into their films.

Spotted that as well. Didn't even know that had been greenlighted.

Agree about Scarlett Johansson as well; stepped up to an expanded role really well, also helps that she has a lot of the best lines...

leggy

Probably Scottish
That's the reason I like Scarlett Johansson too...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
It really was very good. I liked the 'Boys Own' feel of the original film and the clear delineation between the good guys and the bad guys. This was a whole different scenario and I could watch it again right now. And not just for Scarlet Johansson in a catsuit.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Yeah I didn't read it because he started with

'So ... THE END!!!'

or something similar... I was too scared to read it and check.

Hehe I did write at the start that I wasn't posting spoilers but the way this place gets trolled its understandable you'd expect something like that :D

It was only to give the heads-up first for folks to watch out for 2 cutscenes instead of 1. Keeping it spoiler-free meant also not being able to burble happily about some of the stuff I really liked in the film :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
It started really well, for the most part it was genuinely funny and the characters were well written for the genre. For me though, it swiftly descended into boring, generic superhero movie and by the end I had almost lost interest in it.

It was nice to see a genuinely formidable and well balanced baddie though
(Winter Soldier not fucking Robert Redford)

DaGaffer

It was nice to see a genuinely formidable and well balanced baddie though
(Winter Soldier not fucking Robert Redford)

If it follows the comics he'll probably end up as "Captain America II". Which would tie in with the fact that the actor who plays him has a nine-movie deal and Chris Evans is only signed up for six...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I thought it was fantastic. The opening scene was exciting, Nick Fury's "moment" was fucking epic bad-assery in a "don't ever fuck with me, ever" way. But the battle between the Captain and protagonist was an absolutely brilliant fight that had me grinning from ear to ear.

Really enjoyed it. I didn't stay for the end scene, it'll be on youtube soon enough.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well it was certainly Captain America; bland, dull, straight and narrow. In other words; just what is to be expected from Mister Boyscout America :D

Solid Marvel movie, not the best, but certainly upper middle in my book.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Pretty darn good...every character perfectly executed...non stop without getting too silly....one of the best bad guys in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom