Cannot see chars, cannot log into game.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
This is what is happening

I select character to play.
I put in pwd and it goes to loading screen.
Says connected to service then hangs.

or

I select 'No thank you'
It goes to server selection page.
I select Excal.
It goes to my char selection page...
..char selection page is blank.
Only on the screen is PLAY, EXIT, DELETE CHAR, OPTIONS.
No Avatars or text where avatars should be.

/cry

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Did someone delete all your chars?

Danita

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
I hope not...

If that were the case I would at least have 'Create Character' x 8 on the char selection screen... but it is completely blank as I said before, besides the other options.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
I can't even access the DAOC-Europe Homepage to register a problem or question with Right Now :( Page just will not load.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Reinstalled and now hanging at Mythic Update window.....

Seems Mythic and Goa just don't want to know about me atm....

<tries not to take it personally>

:(

edit: Just cannot connect to Mythic at all. Wierd. I hope this problem fixes in time. Worst part being I can't even connect to GOA website to report it...unbelievable.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
To be honest it sounds like a routing problem. Do a tracert and see if there's a big packetloss anywhere.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know what a tracert is or how to do one sorry.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Do start menu, run and type cmd then hit enter.
You'll get a black "dos" window.
Type tracert 193.252.123.33 and hit enter.
You should get a listing of various ips with timings - that's a tracert (abbreviation of traceroute).

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
i see 2 ip's (one of which is the server comp as I'm on a lan) and then the next several attempts show * and say 'request timed out'

bottlebrush

Fledgling Freddie
I'm having the same problem in New Zealand.. maybe it's a southern hemisphere problem. Tracert works for me though.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
works on 3 diff connections here

most probably a routing problem as said previously

goa/mythic have nothing to do with this area and your best bet is to just wait ;/

harrassing isps doesnt usually help much

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
To be honest it sounds like a routing problem. Do a tracert and see if there's a big packetloss anywhere.

hmmm do you think all (I close the window after it does that about 10 times) the: * * * request timed out <<<means big packet losses? As you can see I don't have a clue what all that stuff means.

How can something like this just suddenly happen after working fine for years??:eek6:

Grateful for all the input so far :)

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Dropped packets are shown as * in the list when running tracert. However a * at a certain router doesn't mean it's that router that's causing the problem, any router inthe path to the router could have dropped your ICMP packet.

To find out more of which router(s) who is dropping your packets, run "ping IP-address -t" on each of the addresses. If you see messages like "Request timed out" it's likely that router or the connection to that router has problems. Note that a few % lost packets are acceptable, but when you see alot of timed out messages there's a problem.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Ok so I know there's alot of timed out messages and that equals a big problem but...who fixes it? Hmmm...it's a wait and see thing isn't it? :(

Because I'm browsing in UK no problem and other Euro sites.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Ala said:
How can something like this just suddenly happen after working fine for years??:eek6:

it's happened to me before. i had been playing daoc for 1+ year and suddenly for one week me and everyone else i knew that used the same isp i did couldn't play due to constant red squares on the lagmeter. after that week the problem never arose again

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
And you contacted your isp to fix it?

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Ala said:
Ok so I know there's alot of timed out messages and that equals a big problem but...who fixes it? Hmmm...it's a wait and see thing isn't it? :(

just wait ye :|

and just because the sites are in the same 'area' doesnt mean they're routed to australia the same way

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Ala said:

Do the tracert, and note where the * * * starts.
Try pinging the addresses before the * * * address using ping IPADDRESS -t (to stop the ping press CTRL+C). When you located which address who drops your packets, call your ISP and have them look into it and see if they can do fix it.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Ala said:
And you contacted your isp to fix it?

rofl over here there's only one isp really and being a monopoly they couldnt care less

all i was told was : our systems are fine and the problem is at your game company's end.. when it clearly wasn't

but i wouldnt suggest contacting them as it's usually a temporary thing

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
just tried accessing the page via some random australian proxy and it loads for me..

which isp are you using?

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Well the * comes after the 1st IP after server ip (so after 2 ip addresses are listed).
I do ping on 2nd ip and it says itcan't find it.
My isp wont help me because I am on a network and they don't offer technical advice about the networked computers. :(

I installed Doom3 as a condolence and something went wrong there and I couldn't play it... uninstalled and will try again ..... later.

I'm gettin a vibe here an I don't like it :eek:

/cry

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Ala said:
Well the * comes after the 1st IP after server ip (so after 2 ip addresses are listed).
I do ping on 2nd ip and it says itcan't find it.
My isp wont help me because I am on a network and they don't offer technical advice about the networked computers. :(

I installed Doom3 as a condolence and something went wrong there and I couldn't play it... uninstalled and will try again ..... later.

I'm gettin a vibe here an I don't like it :eek:

/cry

Ok, you have a broadband gateway of your own? Have u tried to connect the PC directly to the net (ie not via router)?

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
ahh I ping'ed that address wrong, did it again and it says: it sent and recieved all packets. Approx time in miliseconds 6ms. So I can't see a prob there.

Not that I know what that means except that the tracert goes to my server then to this other ip and then times out...

I'm hoping Gunner is right and in time it will magically correct itself just as it magically screwed itself :/

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:
Ok, you have a broadband gateway of your own? Have u tried to connect the PC directly to the net (ie not via router)?

No I haven't tried that. Before I dismantle the LAN, what would I be hoping to achieve by going in direct? Detecting wether my router is poop? Or that my isp can try help?

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Ala said:
ahh I ping'ed that address wrong, did it again and it says: it sent and recieved all packets. Approx time in miliseconds 6ms. So I can't see a prob there.

Not that I know what that means except that the tracert goes to my server then to this other ip and then times out...

I'm hoping Gunner is right and in time it will magically correct itself just as it magically screwed itself :/

So your router pings ok, the first ISP router pings alright? The next step from there you can't ping?

Yeah to see if your router is causing the probs. btw u didn't happen to install SP2?

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:
So your router pings ok, the first ISP router pings alright? The next step from there you can't ping?
I can see 2 ip's:
1. Internet server on lan.
2. Some other isp (nfi). < I pinged this one fine.

Kalid said:
Yeah to see if your router is causing the probs. btw u didn't happen to install SP2?
SP2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom